Faithless Electors

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Do you know who the electors for your state are?

In general, electors are expected to vote for the winner of the popular vote in their state or the candidates of the party that nominated them to serve as electors. The Constitution actually does not dictate how presidential electors are to cast their votes; however, those who choose not to vote for the winner of the popular vote or the candidates of the party that nominated them are known as "faithless electors."

Some states have passed laws against faithless electors and require electors to vote for the winner of the popular vote in their state, for the candidate of the party that nominated them to serve as electors, or to comply with any pledge they may have been required to make at the time of their nomination. In states with these types of laws, faithless electors can be fined or replaced, or their votes can be nullified.

I didn't know until yesterday that Louisiana is one of 20 states without a law to bind the votes of presidential electors.

Faithless electors have been rare -- between 1900 and 2012, there were only eight. I suspect there is mounting pressure now on electors to go "faithless" -- that is Clinton's last chance to win, and I'm sure the full weight and $$$ of their political machine is now aimed at each individual elector!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Do you know who the electors for your state are?

In general, electors are expected to vote for the winner of the popular vote in their state or the candidates of the party that nominated them to serve as electors. The Constitution actually does not dictate how presidential electors are to cast their votes; however, those who choose not to vote for the winner of the popular vote or the candidates of the party that nominated them are known as "faithless electors."

Some states have passed laws against faithless electors and require electors to vote for the winner of the popular vote in their state, for the candidate of the party that nominated them to serve as electors, or to comply with any pledge they may have been required to make at the time of their nomination. In states with these types of laws, faithless electors can be fined or replaced, or their votes can be nullified.

I didn't know until yesterday that Louisiana is one of 20 states without a law to bind the votes of presidential electors.

Faithless electors have been rare -- between 1900 and 2012, there were only eight. I suspect there is mounting pressure now on electors to go "faithless" -- that is Clinton's last chance to win, and I'm sure the full weight and $$$ of their political machine is now aimed at each individual elector!

Looks like it would take 20 Faithless electors to get HC in "that's gonna be tough".

From what I understand the fine for going faithless in the states with the laws in place is pretty small.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Won't happen, no matter how much the other side continues to prove we are right about them.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    No one remembers but prior to the election, 12 electors had already been asked or were being swayed to change their votes. These electors were guaranteed to be won by Hilary.

SO, if one side does it, hopefully it starts a trend. Considering the vast number of districts/counties that were red this time, the left would end up being even further behind.

Top Bottom