Fake Summons?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    After careful consideration, I really cannot fathom any conceivable reason for doing this.

I agree for the most part. The only thing I can think of is maybe his department required X amount of activities per hour/shift/week and he was simply being lazy.

That reminds me of a story I heard of a state trooper years ago that got in trouble after a citizen's complaint. Apparently this trooper was required so many tickets per hour/shift/week and would write all of the required tickets at the beginning of his first shift, then spread the dates on the tickets over the work week. Then he could goof off the rest of the work week. Apparently a citizen noticed and complained that they were not even in his patrol area on that date.

Also semi-related is the stories of the troopers who were required to go so many miles per shift and would park somewhere, jack their car up, put it in drive, and rack the miles up while... you guessed it, goofing off. Now, we have mileage limits on our cars. Times have definitely changed.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I agree for the most part. The only thing I can think of is maybe his department required X amount of activities per hour/shift/week and he was simply being lazy.

That reminds me of a story I heard of a state trooper years ago that got in trouble after a citizen's complaint. Apparently this trooper was required so many tickets per hour/shift/week and would write all of the required tickets at the beginning of his first shift, then spread the dates on the tickets over the work week. Then he could goof off the rest of the work week. Apparently a citizen noticed and complained that they were not even in his patrol area on that date.

Also semi-related is the stories of the troopers who were required to go so many miles per shift and would park somewhere, jack their car up, put it in drive, and rack the miles up while... you guessed it, goofing off. Now, we have mileage limits on our cars. Times have definitely changed.

That is all crazy as hell.........but strangely believable at the same time.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Happens frequently enough, it was only a year or so ago that an officer on the Southshore, either NOPD or JPSO, I can't remember, got caught dummying tickets for seatbelt enforcement, and I just heard last month of a trooper doing the same kind of thing. Our tickets are regularly audited due to some type of scandal before I was hired 13 years ago, and one of our officers got caught falsifying invoices for extra work supervising drug court attendees after he and the guy working with him failed to notice that one of the re-copied and date-doctored invoices they submitted claimed they were working on Aug. 29, 2005. Some guys, even with long experience that should tell them better and close to successful retirement, just can't resist the temptation of the easy way to extra money. They always forget Murphy's Law (of Combat): The easy way is always mined.

I wonder what kind of summonses he was writing, and where, if he was assigned to their prison transport division. I don't know the particulars of their department, but just seeing a summons had been written by this guy would make me start questioning things. It reminds me of an instance when I was about three or four years on the job: I was dispatched once to a request for our presence by a deputy at the scene of a traffic stop in our jurisdiction, one of their transport deputies in a marked VAN with a light bar, while sitting in traffic, had seen the driver of the car next to him rolling a joint, clearly visible through the open sunroof. Upon the light changing and traffic moving, this deputy, apparently not POST certified to a sufficient level to effect an arrest, nonetheless put on the lights, blew the horn and waved the guy over, got the guy out of the car, and called for other deputies. The guy straight up had weed all over the seat of the car in plain view, and was giving lip to the deputies as well. Why was I called? Because the road deputies, due to distance from the jail and time off the street to complete the process of a custody arrest, were not allowed by their supervisors to do anything other than write a summons for Simple Possession. They knew we would routinely process a custody arrest for such an offense, right in town and in City Court for misdemeanor first offense, and they wanted him to take the ride since he was being an ass. I knew the road deputy that had called, and we were on plenty friendly terms, but I told him there wasn't a chance in hell I would touch that clusterfu@k with a ten foot pole. I could just hear the kinds of questions any attorney worth his salt would start asking once the basis of the initial stop was mentioned, and I had no intention of getting caught in that trick bag, not to mention the grilling I would have gotten from my superiors.

The part of the article about reviewing all of the summonses he wrote where they imply it will be worse if most of the victims are black really bothers me. No matter the race, no matter the criminal history, the violated right is the same across the board, and to give more weight to one instance than another based solely on race is just as pathetic and degrading as what they are suggesting about him by paying attention to it themselves. The PC Nazis of our world are truly run amok.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Happens frequently enough, it was only a year or so ago that an officer on the Southshore, either NOPD or JPSO, I can't remember, got caught dummying tickets for seatbelt enforcement, and I just heard last month of a trooper doing the same kind of thing.

NOPD officer accused of writing bogus seat-belt tickets pleads guilty

A 22-year veteran New Orleans police officer pleaded guilty Monday to four counts of malfeasance, receiving a five-year suspended sentence for writing hundreds of phantom seat-belt violations while allegedly racking up overtime pay. Retired Officer Glenn Gross, 44, wrote 215 bogus tickets while working a special overtime shift dedicated to traffic safety and financed by a federal grant, according to police Superintendent Ronal Serpas.

In June, the department received a grant that pays for overtime for officers who enforce seat-belt laws. But instead of pulling over real people, Gross, who worked in the NOPD's information technology unit, wrote up tickets to pretend motorists, officials said.
    9909258-large.jpg
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/11/nopd_officer_accused_of_writin.html

St. Charles Sheriff's deputy arrested for issuing bogus traffic tickets

A St. Charles Parish Sheriff's deputy was arrested Wednesday after an investigation revealed that he had been issuing false seat belt citations to motorists he never stopped over a period of several months and claimed overtime pay for doing it.

William S. Marciante Jr., of Luling, a five-year veteran of the department, was booked with 27 counts of malfeasance in office, 21 counts of injuring public records, 21 counts of forgery and six counts of payroll fraud. He remained in the St. Charles Parish jail with bond set at $50,000 by Judge Emile St. Pierre.

Marciante has been fired.

Authorities say that between February and May, Marciante wrote a total of 21 citations for seatbelt violations to unsuspecting motorists who were never stopped. Evidence from Marciante's patrol vehicle and his dashboard camera shows that none of the traffic stops took place. Furthermore, Capt. Pat Yoes said, Marciante did not work during the times he issued the citations and submitted for overtime pay. More than 12 cases have been confirmed through handwriting analysis that Marciante forged signatures on the citations.

Yoes, the Sheriff's Office spokesman, said investigators believe that Marciante randomly chose some of his victims as they drove past him.

"We don't really know how he did it," Yoes said. "But it was random. It was evenly distributed among men and women, black and white."
    10212165-small.jpg
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/11/st_charles_sheriffs_deputy_arr.html

:)

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Officer accused of issuing forged summons faces more charges

A Baton Rouge police officer was arrested Wednesday and accused of falsifying a misdemeanor summons.

This is the second time in less than two months that Derek Jason Burns, 29, has been accused of injuring public records, forgery and malfeasance in office.

Burns was arrested Sept. 6 and accused of falsifying four misdemeanor summons. He was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on four counts each of injuring public records, forgery and malfeasance in office.

Police administrators would not speculate why Burns allegedly wrote the bogus summonses. However, officers are often paid overtime to appear in court for the summonses that they write.

Police Chief Dewayne White has said the Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division launched an investigation into Burns on July 3 after the officer’s supervisor noticed a summons Burns wrote that *just didn’t look right.* The investigation is ongoing, he said.

Investigators initially looked into that summons and a random sampling of four others, finding at least four of the five appeared phony, White said. The fifth summons is still being examined, the police chief said.
    19963928_BG2.jpg
    http://www.wafb.com/story/19963928/officer-accused-of-issuing-forged-summons-faces-more-charges

:)

Top Bottom