Fake Wallet Carry, Good initiative, Bad Judgement?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Concealed Carry Tips: Toss the Decoy Wallet
    By: Joseph Terry | July 21, 2014

http://www.gundigest.com/concealed-carry-news/concealed-carry-tips-toss-the-decoy-wallet

The title alone caused me to raise an eyebrow.

While this isn't the first time I've heard of this 'trick'
    I sure haven't seen it come up recently as 'Good Advice'.

This seems to play off the ol'
    "If you're gunna shoot, you better have money for a lawyer" fear.

I think this could cost you your life
    and is a huge risk to take.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Concealed Carry Tips: Toss the Decoy Wallet
    By: Joseph Terry | July 21, 2014

http://www.gundigest.com/concealed-carry-news/concealed-carry-tips-toss-the-decoy-wallet

The title alone caused me to raise an eyebrow.

While this isn't the first time I've heard of this 'trick'
    I sure haven't seen it come up recently as 'Good Advice'.

This seems to play off the ol'
    "If you're gunna shoot, you better have money for a lawyer" fear.

I think this could cost you your life
    and is a huge risk to take.

guy was shot in atlanta a few weeks ago over this- and all he did was drop his real wallet. robber was pissed at the insult and shot him just cause.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    all these "self defense" gurus that advocate multiple wallets etc pretend to think like criminals.

criminals dont think the way that we do. they dont even speak the same language. they speak "display of force". They don't understand "sir I'm reaching for my wallet, please dont shoot me"

They understand a barrel in their face followed by bright flashes and loud noises.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The only possible (but insane) reasoning for this would be as a distraction. While the subject was fumbling or attempting to search through the wallet, it may give you a chance to draw (if you're armed) and take him/her down.

There are a number of factors that come into play and things to consider/account for... probably TOO MANY.

Remember, in Louisiana... if you decide to pull your weapon, be prepared to be arrested and be prepared to be sued by anyone from the perp themself, to their relatives (if they are no longer with us), to bystanders who may just sue you because they were tramatized by you firing your weapon.

Is giving the perp the $100 or so you may have in your wallet instead of spending tens of thousands defending your decision in court? Or, is that money worth you or your family's life? Credit cards can be cancelled... drivers licenses can be re-issued. Unless there is an imminent danger to you or your family... I would keep my weapon ready, but only present it in a situation where there would be no other option.

I agree that it's a GREAT way to guarantee pissing the perp (or his buddies) off. They've already more than likely got their finger(s) on the trigger... the slightest stress to their already jazzed up thoughts pinging around in their head is all they need to fire off a shot... then they switch into "well, now I'm really in trouble, so why not just get rid of all of them!" Or they get scared and jet.

For a wallet? Nope.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The only possible (but insane) reasoning for this would be as a distraction. While the subject was fumbling or attempting to search through the wallet, it may give you a chance to draw (if you're armed) and take him/her down.

There are a number of factors that come into play and things to consider/account for... probably TOO MANY.

Remember, in Louisiana... if you decide to pull your weapon, be prepared to be arrested and be prepared to be sued by anyone from the perp themself, to their relatives (if they are no longer with us), to bystanders who may just sue you because they were tramatized by you firing your weapon.

Is giving the perp the $100 or so you may have in your wallet instead of spending tens of thousands defending your decision in court? Or, is that money worth you or your family's life? Credit cards can be cancelled... drivers licenses can be re-issued. Unless there is an imminent danger to you or your family... I would keep my weapon ready, but only present it in a situation where there would be no other option.

I agree that it's a GREAT way to guarantee pissing the perp (or his buddies) off.

your post means well, but I can't say that its good advice. you wouldn't give your wallet to someone asking nicely- so there's already a weapon present - and as a result, your life is in danger. If you think you're safe from knives because you carry a gun, you're incredibly mistaken.

I agree with your point- I won't kill over property. Thats what insurance is for. But on the same coin, I won't surrender my property without being in danger either... so its a catch 22

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I agree that it's a GREAT way to guarantee pissing the perp (or his buddies) off.

That's crazy, man! Do you want to take the chance of a complete imbecilic moron thug criminal saying; "Thanks for complying!" after handing over your stuff? Armed robbery may get him 20 years, killing you won't add much more to that in the plea bargain world, and in their non-thinking brains; witnesses could be excess baggage. And dissing his respect might be worse.

You are underestimating their callousness! They are retarded!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    your post means well, but I can't say that its good advice. you wouldn't give your wallet to someone asking nicely- so there's already a weapon present - and as a result, your life is in danger. If you think you're safe from knives because you carry a gun, you're incredibly mistaken.

I agree with your point- I won't kill over property. Thats what insurance is for. But on the same coin, I won't surrender my property without being in danger either... so its a catch 22

Yep! If someone puts a loaded gun in your face, and he's not a cop on duty; you are in grave danger just by the person being a moron.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The only thing I am giving is my opinion. I don't compel anyone to do the same... as I said, TOO MANY FACTORS to consider before taking action.

If you choose to just blaze your weapon and kill the perp, more power to you. I'm not even saying that I wouldn't. There are just too many things that come into play that I can't even begin to list here. In that type of situation, everything comes into play. It's not and shouldn't be just as simple as "Oh let me draw on this guy and TRY to kill him before he kills me" (if your intent is in fact killing him).

I train regularly and consistently to perform in these situations, however, you always have options. If I knew my life was on the line, sure, I would do what needed to be done and just deal with the consequences following. The "consider the legal ramifications" blurb is what is put out at every CCW class. Innocent victims have been sued for a lot less.

I don't agree with letting that dictate your choice, however, be aware of it and make pulling your weapon a final (last resort) option, not a first one just because you've been waiting to.

Take it or leave it, it comes down to you making the decision you're most comfortable with.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I guess we just see it differently. I think picking a side of the fence here depends entirely on whether or not you've seen what one human being can do to another in 2 or 3 seconds, especially with an object.

If there's a weapon involved and you aren't already doing something- you lost. (just my .02) and there's no such thing as "he had a weapon but my life wasn't in danger".

The part of your argument I happen to agree with is when idiots run out of their houses to protect their car/lawn mower/shed. I don't kill over "stuff" - again, personal philosophy I guess.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The only thing I am giving is my opinion. I don't compel anyone to do the same... as I said, TOO MANY FACTORS to consider before taking action.

If you choose to just blaze your weapon and kill the perp, more power to you. I'm not even saying that I wouldn't. There are just too many things that come into play that I can't even begin to list here. In that type of situation, everything comes into play. It's not and shouldn't be just as simple as "Oh let me draw on this guy and TRY to kill him before he kills me" (if your intent is in fact killing him).

I train regularly and consistently to perform in these situations, however, you always have options. If I knew my life was on the line, sure, I would do what needed to be done and just deal with the consequences following. The "consider the legal ramifications" blurb is what is put out at every CCW class. Innocent victims have been sued for a lot less.

I don't agree with letting that dictate your choice, however, be aware of it and make pulling your weapon a final (last resort) option, not a first one just because you've been waiting to.

Take it or leave it, it comes down to you making the decision you're most comfortable with.

My point was to try to convey that criminals at street thug level (particularly today), are animals! Forget about art and jewel thieves in movies; you are considerably more likely to encounter a petty thug robber with little or no conscience about right or wrong, or any consideration of what his violent actions' consequences could/would be. Mix in drugs, alcohol, gang membership, racism, etc.

Add to that, a very unlikely understanding of even basic firearms safety, a possibly crappy stolen gun, and his paranoia and/or desperation; and you have a very dangerous animal about. At that point, just remember; you ARE in grave danger!

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I don't agree with him, but I read it in one of his books. In my opinion, that criminal needs to be put down if at all possible.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I saw this dude muzzle sweep a cop in one of his video's about how to properly handle a cop stop while CC'ing. :mamoru:

wow. I tell people the worst thing they can do is shove hands into their pockets.

You just made my advice the second worst thing they can do. He'd have got swept back, no doubt.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    So I'm supposed to carry a second wallet around? Who the hell does that?

Well I guess I do to some extent... but one is a gun.

^^^^^Agreed, will all the $hit some of you guys say you carry everyday there isnt room for a wallet, besides i'm married the monies in her purse !:rofl:

johnnyastro22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    Occasionally I am glad that I am not as smart of some of my peers in the media and on the internet as I'd never think of something like this if I was looking at the end of barrel.:eek3:

Top Bottom