Fal Build Party!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2007
    Picayune, MS
    Tag for date and place. I might be able to make it, depending. I've built a couple, and have tools. I can make a list if it would help.

Pretty much any time (other than a Hattiesburg or Biloxi gun show weekend) is good for me.

Hoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2007
    Picayune, MS
    Off the top of my head;

receiver wrench
    barrel vice
    breaker bar
    level, angle locator, or other barrel/receiver alignment tools
    go/no gages
    headspace pins (.250-.270)
    screwdrivers
    adjustable wrench
    pliers (needle nose and standard)
    hammer
    swiss files
    sandpaper (600 grit wet/dry)
    barrel shaver
    buttstock tool
    bolt disassembly tool
    never seize
    oil/grease
    rubber bands (to hold the hand guard ring on the barrel, so ya don't forget)
    notebook or writing paper (to cushion the barrel vice and receiver wrench)
    muzzle device wrench
    sight adjustment tool
    gas adjustment tool
    7.62x51 cartridge

big ass vice, solidly mounted

Might be something I forgot. It's too late at night to do an inventory on my toolbox. :silly:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Whats the plans for the finish? Is this going to be after the build? Parkerize? GunKote? Krylon?

Also.....Any of you that purchased the Argentine FAL kits and have since purchased or plan on purchasing USA 922r compliant parts and don't have a use for your non compliant Plastic Pistol Grip that came with the kit......I am looking for 3 to 5 of them. Shoot me a MSG and I will gladly purchase them from you.
    This also goes for any of the parts you plan on exchanging to be compliant.....H,T,S, HandGuards, Butt Stock, Charging Handles....etc

Been reading the plans for your build party, BIG part no one has mentioned was the LOCKING SHOULDERS.....you guys might want to start planning on picking up a few LS's!

Again, I repeat!!! BIG part no one has mentioned was the LOCKING SHOULDERS.....you guys might want to start planning on picking up a few LS's!!! You can't just run down to the local Lowe's and pick these up!!

Good luck guys it looks like you all will be in for some GREAT FUN!!
    Be sure someone there takes pics of your activities!!

OH and do NOT forget!!!!!!! MAKE SURE your vise is MOUNTED SECURLY and on a very heavy bench!!!! It takes some real torqueing power to make it from 10:30 to 12:00, never sieze if your friend AFTER you have chased the threads, on barrel and receiver!

DO NOT forget the HG retainer ring! Easy to forget and a really pain to remove barrel and start over! You will be kicking yourself in da ass once you have the barrel torqued and realize you forgot the HG retainer ring!!

KT

dockbox

Lead Farmer
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    New Orleans
    The reason no one has mentioned locking shoulders is that you do not know which size is needed until after the barrel has been torqued and timed. After the barrel is installed , you determine precisely which locking shoulder is needed for proper headspacing. I personally do not want to waste my time and resources buying 3 or four of the same part, all of which can potentially be the wrong size.

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    The reason no one has mentioned locking shoulders is that you do not know which size is needed until after the barrel has been torqued and timed. After the barrel is installed , you determine precisely which locking shoulder is needed for proper headspacing. I personally do not want to waste my time and resources buying 3 or four of the same part, all of which can potentially be the wrong size.

Got cha......So what you are saying is once you size it up with the pin gauges and go-nogo gauges you are good to go, purchase that size LS, slide it in and off to the range ya go???
    Good luck with the builds ;)

KT

dockbox

Lead Farmer
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    New Orleans
    We really need to set ate that the person with the most tools (right now, I believe that is MyTfal) can attend. We need to know which tools will be needed that no one has or is willing to bring. I will buy a 6 inch vise, if necessary. Lets get this thing done before Hurricane season ( or the zombie apocalypse, whichever occurs first).

Hoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2007
    Picayune, MS
    I'm in. I have everything but the vise, because I can't host right now. I'm available any weekend (if there's not a gun show in Hattiesburg) and most of the time during the week. Metairie or Mandeville is close enough to Picayune for me, if I don't have to be there by 8 AM. :)

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    As I have said before, I can host, I just need a bench vice. I have a small work area with a bench in the garage. I also have a 10' folding table I can set up. We just need to set a date and find someone with a bench vice. MTFAL said he has the rest of the tools we should need.

I have a grill, we can grill some hamburgers and brats if anyone wants also.

Bump

Hoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2007
    Picayune, MS
    I guess nobody wants to take the lead. I've built 4 since I first got into the thread.

As I said, I have all the necessary tools. I'm thinking that whoever is willing to host, calls the shots on when their place is available. :)

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I guess nobody wants to take the lead. I've built 4 since I first got into the thread.

As I said, I have all the necessary tools. I'm thinking that whoever is willing to host, calls the shots on when their place is available. :)

Makes good sense to me HOOT G, let me know when you guys do this, I have enough tools that I could bring along and help out as well, looks like a cool FAL OWNER meet and greet at least.

LaC

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville

Well HOOT, I guess Maybe you and I could have our own build party! I am expecting a few receivers very soon! Also waiting on one back from moses getting the para nose cone cut and charging handle rails relieved for folding CH.
    I will let you know and we can do a couple for ourselves ;)

KT

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom