FAL Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    I PMed Kajuntriton since he seems to be the resident FAL guru, but have a trade op that may have a short window, so I will throw this out to the general population.
    Mid 70s import L1A1 FAL, serial A240XX, overall good. I would say 60% original blue with even wear, no rust, no pits. All wood stock and carry handle. Stock painted with an "84" (arsenal mark?) Functions well, no import marks.
    Guy wants to trade me straight up for an as new MSAR stg556 (aug mag).
    Deal, or no deal?

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'm no Fal Expert but I do own one and know you can get a good shooting Fal for less then the cost of the MSAR stg556 . Seems like your on the low end of the trade for just a good shooting rifle by close to 500 bucks. Now as far as collector value of the Fal I have no idea of the particular one you refer to.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Yeah, I have one of the CAI Imbel builds that I picked up for about 600. This one I was interested in it's value as a collector, being an honest FAL.

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    You can buy a MSAR for $899.00. An authentic L1A1, even in the condition you mentioned, could sell for a couple of thousand, for the right buyer.

In the 1970's CIA imported British L1A1 rifles with the sear cut as LEO guns, and several ended up in the civilian market. I am giving advice from memory only, if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Not enough info given to make a real call, but given that info I have a tendency to agree with Sgt Kramer. I would need pics of the rifle to know for sure, but I suspect it is a kit built rifle. Either assembled by a individual or a company Ala' Century manufacturing. What markings are on the reciever? If it truley is a Import on LEO letterhead It could be much more valuable than the MSAR.

Last edited:

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    There was a whole string of letters,numbers, and symbols before the serial number. I will copy tomorrow and post. I do know he is a LEO and has had the gun in his possession since the mid 70s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Sounds like either way it isn't going to be a great trade for you.

Good luck with the "its imported and work 3k" though. :)

Top Bottom