Fall/Winter Garden.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Spent the weekend building my beds and filling them in. Putting down some potatoes, onions, green onions, okra, spinach, green beans, green peas, cucumbers and carrots. Hoping the weather will stay warm through October for some of these vegetables but my seed packets said I should be good to plant them this time a year for this region. We'll see. Started my seeds last week of August. I'll have to get a newer picture of the planter because they are twice as big now.

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Anyone else got a veggie garden?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I really enjoyed my raised bed garden. I hope your's does as well as mine did. It may be a little late for Okra. LSU suggests planting that only until August 1. It is a warm weather plant and takes about 60 days to harvest. The rest should be fine unless we get an early frost.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Did mine 4' x 10' x 8". Works out to exactly one yard of soil per bed. Got a late start; all we have going now is broccoli, cauliflower, a few varieties of lettuce and green peppers.

Ordering a variety of heirloom seeds for our spring crops. Looking forward to a bumper crop. Also looking into canning.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    I have too many deer

use a bow :) i was thinking of doing this since i dont really have land to hunt except our little 5 acre piece the house is on plus a gun would wake the neighbors.

so what is the benefit of using the boxes as opposed to a tiller and just tilling up a spot in the yard? weeds? better soil control? my g/f and i have been wanting to start a small garden in the back. just curious as to what would be better for us

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Not so much a benefit as practicality, I think. Works better for folks who don't have acreage, but still want to garden in a more limited area. Google "square foot gardening." You may find more about actual benefits. They talk about some pretty strong yields coming out of small plots. Intensive use, I suppose. We're just beginners.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    My jalapeno just crapped out because of the cold nights, whats something good i can plant for the winter? if anything?

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    My jalapeno just crapped out because of the cold nights, whats something good i can plant for the winter? if anything?

For example

I just planted mustard greens, spinach, lettuce, and garlic.

Mustard greens are for the deer and to plow under to fertilize my soil, lettuce for the rabbits and the garlic for the vampires lol

Not to much "good stuff" in my opinion to plant in Nov Dec and garlic takes 210 days ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Did mine 4' x 10' x 8". Works out to exactly one yard of soil per bed. Got a late start; all we have going now is broccoli, cauliflower, a few varieties of lettuce and green peppers.

Ordering a variety of heirloom seeds for our spring crops. Looking forward to a bumper crop. Also looking into canning.

It's very likely far too late to be planting green peppers. They don't do well in cold weather.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Oops. Shoulda mentioned that the green peppers are two holdover plants from the summer crop that are still bearing.

Thanks much for the very useful link.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Oops. Shoulda mentioned that the green peppers are two holdover plants from the summer crop that are still bearing.

Thanks much for the very useful link.

Those peppers plants can be tenacious. Most of my gardening is done in containers and I cut down my jalapeno pepper plants in August after a heavy harvest this year leaving a 1" stump. They have re-sprouted and have blooms. They don't look too good after last night though.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Vegetables are so cheap it's hard to justify growing them myself. On the other hand fresh herbs are so much better than dried ones that I very much like having an herb garden. This year I grew basil, oregano, and heather, but since I had only one of each I was limited in my yield. Next year I definitely am putting in two of each, but I think the oregano and heather didn't like direct sunlight. They did not thrive. The basil on the other hand I had to cut repeatedly to keep it below 6'. The chicken Provençal, seared tuna steaks, marinara sauces, and baked calamari were so freakin' good that I don't know what I'm going to do now. The basil is dying (It went to seed.), and it's a matter of time before the first frost gets the rest.

To make my garden, I scooped off the sod in the side yard and went down about 6", then laid in a light sprinkling of Miracle Grow timed-release plant food, then covered with garden soil/sphagnum moss to a level about 6" above surrounding soil. I planted the plants, then laid mulch down over it and watered weekly, since we had so little rain this year. Making the bed and planting took about three hours' work. For that small amount of effort I had fresh herbs for 9 months.

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    I just had fresh mustard greens and corn bread for supper last night. I have mustard, broccoli, and lettuce in my garden right now. I had to put up a fence for the rabbits. They wiped out my whole crop last year. If I could ever catch them at it, rabbit stew would be a great addition to the mustard and corn bread.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Vegetables are so cheap it's hard to justify growing them myself.

Yeah, I had similar sentiments when my wife wanted to start gardening. But, d@mn, every time I go to the grocery lately seems stuff has gone up again. First year was barely breakeven, if that, what with buying soil and building the beds. This year we actually came out ahead. Its a small plot. Anyway, wifey is constantly pleased that she can go out back and come back inside 2 min. later with a salad that can't get any fresher. lol

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Vegetables are so cheap it's hard to justify growing them myself.

No doubt you are right, however, it's good practice for self sustaining plus you have the benefit of knowing what chemicals, or lack of chemicals, were used in growing your vegetables.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom