Fast Tracking Form 4

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cronus4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    NOLA, LA
    Ladies and Gents, need some NFA expertise here. I recently purchased 3 suppressors from a local shop in the GNO area and while the shop has received the serial numbers for 2 of the cans from the distributor they say that I can't begin filling out the Form 4 (I have a trust) until they actually receive a copy of the Form 3. How accurate is that? I have heard competing things about being able to fast track a Form 4. I don't see why, since I will already be waiting ~6mo, I can't file the Form 4 with the serial number and manufacturers specifications, or even why the distributor can't give the dealer the exact specs off of the Form 3 so that there are no hiccups.

Is someone doing something wrong or being overly cautious, or is this how it is? I was under the impression that once you get serial numbers you can be off to the races with your Form 4.

I appreciate the input ahead of time, I'm sure someone here has dealt with this issue before.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Silencer shop files a form 3 then a few weeks later the form 4 was sent. Bought 12-31-15 and got an email on 2-8-16 saying the form 4 was accepted and the check was cashed. They filed the form 3 of course, but also the form 4. Maybe that's the fast track thing you were talking about.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The form 4 could probably be sent in but if it gets kicked back for errors on the description on the item it would probably turn into more of an inconvenience for all parties involved. The examiners at the NFA branch have no reason to expedite the process; they are not getting paid anymore to do so....unfortunately.

Cronus4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    NOLA, LA
    I wasn't meaning the ATF would expedite. I meant that I wanted to file the Form 4 before ATF approved the Form 3 for the transfer from distributor to dealer (which it has no reason not to) by going off of the specs that the distributor filed the Form 3 with. Why does the distributor email the serial numbers to the dealer if you couldn't do this? Seems pointless.

Cronus4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    NOLA, LA
    Silencer shop files a form 3 then a few weeks later the form 4 was sent. Bought 12-31-15 and got an email on 2-8-16 saying the form 4 was accepted and the check was cashed. They filed the form 3 of course, but also the form 4. Maybe that's the fast track thing you were talking about.

Yes, I'm talking about almost simultaneous filing of Form 3 and 4.I don't see it being an issue as long as the specs on the Form 4 look just like the Form 3, which would be easy to do if the distributor sent a copy of the submitted Form 3 or just plainly told me or the dealer exactly what they put on the Form 3. ATF isn't going to care when Form 3 was submitted and how soon after Form 4 was submitted. They'll be looking at Form 4 at a vacuum. I assume....I could be entirely wrong, that's why I'm asking the experts here.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Yes, I'm talking about almost simultaneous filing of Form 3 and 4.I don't see it being an issue as long as the specs on the Form 4 look just like the Form 3, which would be easy to do if the distributor sent a copy of the submitted Form 3 or just plainly told me or the dealer exactly what they put on the Form 3. ATF isn't going to care when Form 3 was submitted and how soon after Form 4 was submitted. They'll be looking at Form 4 at a vacuum. I assume....I could be entirely wrong, that's why I'm asking the experts here.

Problem is.....if the form 4 somehow beats the 3 then the item won't be transferred to the correct party in the registry and it will be disapproved. Its happened before.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Problem is.....if the form 4 somehow beats the 3 then the item won't be transferred to the correct party in the registry and it will be disapproved. Its happened before.

Boom...

And at the most how much longer will it take? A month or 2? As an NFA item owner I understand it takes a significant amount of time to get approved. I wish it was different. But it is what is is.

Last edited:

fishizzle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2015
    River Ridge, La
    For me it took 2 months for my dealer to receive the can (form 3) because he did not have the one I wanted in stock. Then he sent off my form 4. That took 4 months. It was a long 6 months from when I started the process to when my stamp came in. I here the form 4 wait time is now going 5+ months.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Unfortunatley its a lengthy process no matter what. Everyone including myself who has the slightest bit of interest in NFA items wishes we could walk in and out of a store front with those items even if a $200.00 tax was paid on the spot....so be patient guys. Yall know itll be worth the wait in the long haul.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom