fat training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I havent commented on this topic previously because while I find it quite humorous, I also believe that it is everyones responsibility to be a protector of freedom. But tonight my neighbors and very dear friends misplaced their cat, so I grabbed my quite pudgy 10 year old lab who has never been trained to track so much as a food crumb, but we walked over anyways. When he showed me the last place they saw the cat, she picked up his sent and had me on the cat in seconds. She saved us a night of searching for a black cat in the dark.

My point is even the fatest, laziest old dog could come in handy.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have been consistently seeing pictures and videos of companies both displaying product and trying to showcase their training methods but use such overweight people. To me it looks shameful of a company to show a dude in full multicam all geared up weighing 300+ running drills (and i use the term running loosely) to display their product. To me it just seems counter productive. But maybe i'm missing something.

Also, i am curious as to why such overweight individuals choose to spend so much money playing soldier instead of trying to get themselves more healthy. Again, seems counter productive.

1. Don't have a clue what you are talking about.... I don't see much of these videos.

2. Maybe it's a hobby they enjoy and don't really plan on going jihadi in their lifetime.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Why do the young fit guys think us old guys that have too many pounds are useless? Or that because we're out of shape we can't do anything and spend our time eating donuts on the couch? I may wear a 3x shirt but still work out 5-6 hours a week (karate and swimming).

I see nothing wrong with out of shape guys wanting to know what to do if the worst happens and being prepared to the best of their ability. Maybe they can't swim 5 miles to engage the enemy, but just maybe the enemy will come to us. :(

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    It's like taking dieting advice from an extremely overweight person who eats fast food everyday (speaking from personal experience).

Just take it for what it is and move along. Their body, their life.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    My lack of fitness affects more than my rapid advance or regress. I have noticed that my marksmanship has fallen off as fitness declines. I do a little but as they say, I have room for improvement. I will never recapture what I once had in my 20's and 30's but I can achieve closer to full potential for my age.
    I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was. heard it in a song

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My lack of fitness affects more than my rapid advance or regress. I have noticed that my marksmanship has fallen off as fitness declines. I do a little but as they say, I have room for improvement. I will never recapture what I once had in my 20's and 30's but I can achieve closer to full potential for my age.
    I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was. heard it in a song

Some big guys win a lot at the USPSA events! There is no doubt in my mind that even a little time at those matches and practices increases marksmanship at any age and blubberage! <:awais: New word alert!

If a an obese person ever sincerely asked me what they could do to get better at shooting (aside from actual trigger time at a range), I would immediately tell them to look up a USPSA chapter and match. In fact, now that hunting season is winding down I will be bringing my semi-fat ass back to the USPSA matches again.

I myself, can no longer compete in track and field hurdling, but I guarantee I can quickly put a volley of bullets where they need to be when I need to. Barring someone actually shooting back at me of course! I don't know a lot of people that have that skill set on the resume'. :p

Last edited:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Marksmanship wise, I am talking offhand from the 200-yard line, or something where floaters, breathing and pulse are factors. Vision is not once what it was. Of course, snap-in and range time would help me improve more than anything. Doin that game out to 600-yards, range time gets those other things weather, light, wind, monkeys poking me with sticks, etc.
    oh and the little chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams are still laughing at me and they are relatively close in

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Also, i am curious as to why such overweight individuals choose to spend so much money playing soldier instead of trying to get themselves more healthy. Again, seems counter productive.

I will say this; Unless you have actually been morbidly obese, you cannot possibly fathom the amount of physical, mental and emotional work it takes to reverse it. Nor the continued work it takes to stay "healthy."

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I will say this; Unless you have actually been morbidly obese, you cannot possibly fathom the amount of physical, mental and emotional work it takes to reverse it. Nor the continued work it takes to stay "healthy."

I have never been (and unless something unforseen happens, never will be) morbidly obese. When I quit smoking I went from 160 lbs to aax of 230-240lbs. Granted I'm 6'1". Did start to get a fair amount of belly fat.

I changed the way I ate and started doing more cardio. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Nutrition is the key.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

This. Despite working out intensely 4 days a week and eating reasonably my weight stays level...

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

While i personally have not been in this situation, i have a very close family member who i watched fall into this pit of depression. He has since began to pull himself out of it, but i can see what you mean. It takes drive and determination to get through it.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    While i personally have not been in this situation, i have a very close family member who i watched fall into this pit of depression. He has since began to pull himself out of it, but i can see what you mean. It takes drive and determination to get through it.
    I can speak from experience when I say it's a constant struggle every waking moment of every day. Not even remotely an exaggeration.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was a heavy drinker and smoked 3 pack a day, I woke up one morning and decided to quit, cold turkey! It wasn't really a problem! getting this weight off and keeping it off seems impossible!!!!
    And as far as laughing at a fat guy trying to teach, every time I shoot a 3gun match I school young, in shape guys! They say, I didn't see that fat guy coming!! Lmao
    My game is better when I'm physically fit, and I'm working towards that goal, but I'm going to play and have fun along the way

Top Bottom