Favorite/ Best brand of range ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    What’s your go to range ammo for consistent reliability and performance? I’ve always been a fan of Winchester white box for pistols and rifle rounds and CCI for rimfire.

I also used to be a big fan of federal ammo and still am as far as deffensive ammo and rifle rounds are concerned but lately I’ve gotten a good bit of subpar pistol and .22 ammo from federal. I had a few boxes of 115gr federal American eagle that was so bad it wasn’t even strong enough to cycle the slide and eject the spent case. I went through 3 brand new 50rd boxes like this and only about every 7th or 8th round was actually powerful enough to cycle the slide. Also had a box of CCI blazer ammunition 9mm that came with 2 rounds with the bullets seated down about double the rest of the rounds. At first it looks like two rounds of 9 mm short. I wasn’t going to risk firing it but I’m almost certain the pressure from those rounds would’ve been way too much. Also had an 800rd range pack that about every 5th round would not fire regardless of how many times I re loaded it and struck the primers. This made me a lot nervous since I have a good bit of federal defense ammo some old some new and 223/5.56 all new. I decided to test a little bit of everything federal that I had that was purchased this year and all of the deffensive ammo and rifle ammo performed just fine.

what’s your experience been with ammo quality as of late.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Speer Lawman is some of the best generic range ammunition available.

Better range ammunition comes from smaller manufacturers at a significant cost increase.

For me, I find these to be the best:
    Speer Lawman
    Federal American Eagle
    Federal Champion
    CCI Blazer Brass

I have shot thousands of rounds of Winchester White Box and it’s not great. The only brass cased ammunition I’ve shot worse than WWB is the Cabela’s brand Herters.

For .223/556, I stick with Federal.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Speer Lawman is some of the best generic range ammunition available.

Better range ammunition comes from smaller manufacturers at a significant cost increase.

For me, I find these to be the best:
    Speer Lawman
    Federal American Eagle
    Federal Champion
    CCI Blazer Brass

I have shot thousands of rounds of Winchester White Box and it’s not great. The only brass cased ammunition I’ve shot worse than WWB is the Cabela’s brand Herters.

For .223/556, I stick with Federal.
    I would agree Speer lawman is definitely some good ammo, I like the tmj it’s really clean burning. The other three not so much at least not since all of this madness has started. Seems the reviews on Winchester white box are mixed. It’s always been great for me and I always buy it when available

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would agree Speer lawman is definitely some good ammo, I like the tmj it’s really clean burning. The other three not so much at least not since all of this madness has started. Seems the reviews on Winchester white box are mixed. It’s always been great for me and I always buy it when available

I’ve yet to have an issue with any of the four. I haven’t bought ammunition since Q3 of 2020, so I can’t attest to current quality, but I would estimate that I’ve fired close to 12,000 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 115gr 9mm since 2017. I’ve yet to experience any issues with ammunition from Federal/CCI/Speer.

I would not doubt there are QC issues with anything in these times though.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I'm picky about defensive rounds (HST or GTFO) and 22lr (Aguila or Federal) but for regular ol' range ammo, I'll shoot anything I can stuff into my pistol LOL

Edit: I lied, as soon as I posted this I realized I actually do hate Winchester and Wolf steel-cased rounds.

Last edited:

That Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    South of Houma
    I'm picky about defensive rounds (HST or GTFO) and 22lr (Aguila or Federal) but for regular ol' range ammo, I'll shoot anything I can stuff into my pistol LOL

Edit: I lied, as soon as I posted this I realized I actually do hate Winchester and Wolf steel-cased rounds.

My G19.5 will shoot wolf and Winchester steel with zero issues as long as I use factory glock mags. Magpul mags will choke on steel every time. For me anyways

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My G19.5 will shoot wolf and Winchester steel with zero issues as long as I use factory glock mags. Magpul mags will choke on steel every time. For me anyways

You "May" have extractor issues if you shoot a high round count with steel cased ammunition.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans

Yeah, the issue with Winchester steel for me, as best as I can diagnose, is that it jams up inside steel magazines because of the unlaquered casings.

That Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    South of Houma
    Yeah, the issue with Winchester steel for me, as best as I can diagnose, is that it jams up inside steel magazines because of the unlaquered casings.

when I first bought a case of Winchester steel it had almost a phosphate feel to the finish. It was very rough and I suspect it was causing drag in the polymer mag. The second case I bought was smoother but I only shot it through factory mags with zero issues. 500/500 fired, ejected, and chambered just fine. Never bought it again. That’s when it was $80/500 at academy.

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    Am. Eagle for AR 5.56/223. Only because my weapons like it compared to others I have tried.
    Roll my own pistol. Will buy cheapest available, otherwise
    American Gunner for 380 defense.
    7.62 NATO because I have stocked deep.
    30/06 HXP Greek, also stocked.
    I have broken extractors on a 1911 & 1927A1 with steel. Com Bloc weapons only.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Still shooting Lake City surplus 5.56 from the 80’s but for trouble free and clean burning my other picks are PPU, Federal Independence and I recently started shooting some Danish 5.56 I bought super cheap years ago and it’s great too.

7.62x51, again, older LC that was a deal years ago.

9mm favorite range ammo is Blazer Aluminum case! I’ve been shooting that stuff since the 90’s and it’s never disappointed. It feeds better than any ammo I’ve ever shot and is extremely easy to strip from the mag. The cases are super slick. Same for 40 S and W. I still have 50 round boxes of 44 mag 240gr HP with $15.99 price tags from the old Sports Unlimited store that shoot great. Aluminum cased is also fantastic for when picking up brass is either too burdensome (outdoor rough terrain) or not allowed (range rules).

.22LR CCI has something to cover nearly every type of shooting I wanna do with a 22.

Top Bottom