Favorite optic for night shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveo04234

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Alright guys and gals, what's your favorite optic for shooting nutria at night? I will be shooting a suppressed 9mm SBR with a very bright flash light. I am looking for something that picks up the light well, is quick to get on target, and will be shot at distances of 100yrds or less. This is going to be used to take nutria at night or day for a friend that owns a crawfish farm with an overabundance of the vermin. I figure I will need something with a wide objective to aid in light gathering but I don't need something with a lot of zoom capability. Any experience in the matter is appreciated.

Thank you for your help

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Pick a red dot and run with it.

My current rig that's seen some critter action is a V11 SLW with a Micro H-1. Surefire Scout for white light and a DBAL for the sneaky stuff. I run a SOCOM 556 RC on it so the muzzle devise has changed.

C93C305E-76AF-4327-87FA-8E71DD6E8A06_zpszlzv1hhe.jpg

My MK18 gets used as well on occasion. Its got an EXPS3-0 on it. Same scout light as my V11LW.

photo2_zps52889cdf.jpg

Last edited:

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I will basically say the same thing Chris stated above.

On most of my guns I use for night hunting, I run a Aimpoint T1. I have one exception with my 300 Blackout. I run a 1-6x variable.

And I run the Surefire Scout Fury with a tap switch on all my night hunting guns.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I used an Aimpoint Comp M4s for VTAC Nightfighter. I backed it with a Surefire X300U. During a break, a gentleman let me borrow his rifle with a Leupold MK6 and Surefire FURY (about the same illumination as my X300U, maybe a bit broader beam, a bit less throw). He had it set on about 2-2.5x when he handed it to me, and I was AMAZED at how well it helped me on the 75+ yard targets in a low-light environment.

FFWD, and I've bought a K16i Kahles. I LOVE IT! At night, on 1x, it gathers more light than my naked eyes do.

A LPV with some form of illumination (Even my Nightforce 1-4 NXS works great at night) and high quality lens coatings/good glass is THE way to go, at night, IMO

If you don't want to spend the money on decent glass, a RDS is better than shitty glass. Also, if you get a T2, and want magnification later, I have found that the G33 is pretty darn good. I'd say the glass is on par with my NF. The T1 did not work for me, magnified. T2 was flawless.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I use a trijicon accupoint 3-9 Amber triangle, and a sure fire green cree green light, works great on my mega arms 6.8
    Or a leoupold pig plex 1-4 on my sig 556r's with the same green light, 99% of the animals I shine with it either don't care or never even notice it, I have shinned hogs for 10-15 mins and never had them think twice, can see very clear out to 125-150 yards

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    My dedicated night vermin hunter is a Savage .22, SWR suppressor, Vortex Crossfire Illuminated dot 6x24 set on 6 power, and a green laser flashlight mounted on the scope. I can see and shoot out to 100 yds with no problem, and with the light beam cranked to its tightest beam I've been able to see stuff out to 200 yds. I don't shoot past 100 though, and most of my shots are between 25 and 75 yds. Like someone else mentioned, the green laser light doesn't spook the animals.

Top Bottom