Favorite Whiskey?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah knob creek is pretty good as well. More expensive than maker's though, so I'd go with maker's since it isn't much better IMO

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    the question is, if you had to pick one brand of BOURBON among those available at any store

Bourbon? Lots of people naming whiskeys that aren't bourbon. For the OP, there are several varieties of whiskey/whisky. As a simple introduction:

Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, or Woodford Reserve are good bourbon whiskies and readily available.

Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey, and differs from bourbon by the process of the charcoal filtering (this applies to George Dickel as well). Extra note of interest on Jack, something that I always wondered about until I toured the distillery, the green label comes only from the first two floors of the barrel houses where the temperatures are not as consistent.

Johnny Walker is Scotch whisky.

Jameson, and even better - Bushmill's, is Irish whiskey.

Crown Royal is Canadian whisky.

On top of those basic categories, there are differences in grain and malt, blended and single, just so many options. As a new drinker, you have a daunting task ahead of you: Trying as many as you can!

jrfount

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Livingston, La
    George dickel white label yummm under priced and highly rated plus it's so good you don't even need the rocks just a glass. Used to be really cheap but every time I buy a fifth the price goes up for the past two years. I guess the small batches can't keep up with demand.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Thanks

Bourbon? Lots of people naming whiskeys that aren't bourbon. For the OP, there are several varieties of whiskey/whisky. As a simple introduction:

Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, or Woodford Reserve are good bourbon whiskies and readily available.

Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey, and differs from bourbon by the process of the charcoal filtering (this applies to George Dickel as well). Extra note of interest on Jack, something that I always wondered about until I toured the distillery, the green label comes only from the first two floors of the barrel houses where the temperatures are not as consistent.

On top of those basic categories, there are differences in grain and malt, blended and single, just so many options. As a new drinker, you have a daunting task ahead of you: Trying as many as you can!

Thanks man, I didn't want to seem esoteric!!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Friendly advice: Whatever you decide to drink wait until after the reunion.:D Best of luck to ya!

LOL........heed the " not till it's over advice "

One thing families hate is having their ass shot off by strangers, you'd never get over it

Take her to a leave the lites on 4 ya facility with the jug AFTER and make her pay

Round here family members use birdshot in arguments, hope that helps

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    Let me edify you a little, my friend. Jack Daniel's is fine Tennessee sippin whiskey, Maker's Mark also fine. But if you want a true Kentucky bourbon...Evan Brooks is nice. These are all straight whiskey's. Lot's of folks like crown but it is blended. Also try freezing some filtered water to pour it over, won't spoil the taste. or you can even get those plastice spheres or cubes and they won't dilute the stuff as they melt. I like to enjoy a fine cigar with mine, but to each his own. Cheers

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge

It depends on where you are and which vernacular you use. When I see "whiskey" I think "That which is not beer or wine."

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna

I've done the tour several times. If you are ever in the Nashville area, I highly recommend you take a detour and visit Lynchburg. It's a 1.5-2 hr drive through some beautiful country south of Nashville. The last time there we met the then Master Distiller Jimmy Bedford, and actually found The Daniels family burial plot where Mr. Jack is buried. And the Red Caboose BBQ in the town square will make you want to smack yo mama their ribs are so good! :boink:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I've done the tour several times. If you are ever in the Nashville area, I highly recommend you take a detour and visit Lynchburg. It's a 1.5-2 hr drive through some beautiful country south of Nashville. The last time there we met the then Master Distiller Jimmy Bedford, and actually found The Daniels family burial plot where Mr. Jack is buried. And the Red Caboose BBQ in the town square will make you want to smack yo mama their ribs are so good! :boink:

When I toured they had just recently achieved changes in the county laws that allowed them to sell Jack Daniels to consumers in Lynchburg, as long as it was in commemorative gift bottles in their shop at the distillery. I still have the bottle, but Jack Daniels can only be truly commemorated by drinking the contents, which I most certainly did in honor of such a truly fine American as Mr. Daniels.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    When I toured they had just recently achieved changes in the county laws that allowed them to sell Jack Daniels to consumers in Lynchburg, as long as it was in commemorative gift bottles in their shop at the distillery. I still have the bottle, but Jack Daniels can only be truly commemorated by drinking the contents, which I most certainly did in honor of such a truly fine American as Mr. Daniels.

Yeah, I have a few of those bottles as well. It was real hard to not get my own Single Barrel pallet! ;) (Well not that hard, it was ~$8K IIRC :D)

Khyber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Trips to West Texas made me & my brother take a liking to George Dickel...It's smooth stuff. The problem is, we can't get it here. I don't believe there's an LA distributor.
    We "import" it when we go to Texas.....

I have seen quite of bit of George here lately. It is good. But no one has mentioned my favorite, which I thought would be a big one for this board "Bulleit". Its really good, and sometimes can be found for $20 a bottle.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'll drink whatever you hand me, as long as you're drinking it too.

That said, bourbon is not my personal choice.

Scotch--

Glenmorangie, The Balvenie, Johnny Blue are my top three, in no particular order. Old single malt is always good; if you're going super cheap, go blended. Nothing quite as awful as bad single malt Scoth.

Crown--

Used to be my drink of choice, but it's a bit sweet. The Cask 16 is almost a cognac, and one after certain meals is great; more than that is too much for me. The baseline stuff goes in Coke; Reserves are meant for the rocks. I have a bottle of XR I haven't opened, and I haven't tried the black stuff yet.

Irish Whiskey--

My bread and butter. Jameson is one of the best values out there. Neat, only-- doesn't go well over ice, IMO. The older stuff they make is even better this way, although it's actually pretty good on the rocks as well. Not a huge Bushmills fan-- Protestant whiskey. The black label is good, I got some for Christmas not long ago. My very favorite is Red Breast, neat-- takes out the fire, leaves in the warmth.

Bourbon--

Depends on my mood. Beam is easy for me to drink in quantity, but I prefer Jack if it's just something to sip on. I don't know why everyone knocks Turkey-- the higher proof stuff is awesome!

As with all liquor, avoid anything from the well. If it's bottled the same regardless of being Whiskey, Rum, Gin, Vodka or Tequila, steer clear. Aristocrat? Please.

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    So I have to go to my girlfriend's family reunion for labor day weekend in craphole Mississippi. It is going to suck bigtime, and the family drama already started two weeks ago. The GF promised to buy me a bottle of whiskey to help me through, but I'm not sure which I should get.

Sounds like a match made in heaven! Just tell her you aint goin'.

Top Bottom