FBI/POST Firearms Instructor Certification questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AgentHead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Has anyone ever completed this? Is there any written tests etc? And finally, how bad is the FBI bullseye handgun course. I'm a very good shot but I hear horror stories.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Has anyone ever completed this? Is there any written tests etc? And finally, how bad is the FBI bullseye handgun course. I'm a very good shot but I hear horror stories.

One of the courses of fire for the LA. POST Firearms Instructors is based on a FBI Course starting at the 50 yard line. Contact Captain Frank Washington at the EBRSO Range 225-389-8268.
    He is in charge of the firearms portion of CARTA as well as the EBRSO Range and all firearms training for EBRSO. He has been shooting as a LEO for 40 years.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    the course itself is not that difficult, the biggest problem most have is just plain old nerves. i've seen people that can shoot a 120 (perfect score) on the post certification but blow it on the instructor course because of a bad case of the butterflies. Captain Washington is probably one of the better instructors in the state and Baton Rouge is very lucky to have him.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy

The bullseye course is shooting portion that washes most of the guys out. It is all fired at 25 yds. 10 shot (2, 5 shot strings in 10 minutes) 10 shots (2, 5 shots strings in 20 sec.) 10 shots (2, 5 shot strings in 10 sec.) target is the NRA B-8 for a possible score of 300, IIRC POST requires a min. score of 240 to pass.
    When I went thru in 1990 it was fired 1-handed as per offical NRA conventional pistol rules. I understand now that you are allowed the use of 2 hands.
    First week is range time, second week was instructor development.

Dittos on what everyone else said about Capt Washington, a class act and excellent instructor.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The bullseye course is shooting portion that washes most of the guys out. It is all fired at 25 yds. 10 shot (2, 5 shot strings in 10 minutes) 10 shots (2, 5 shots strings in 20 sec.) 10 shots (2, 5 shot strings in 10 sec.) target is the NRA B-8 for a possible score of 300, IIRC POST requires a min. score of 240 to pass.
    When I went thru in 1990 it was fired 1-handed as per offical NRA conventional pistol rules. I understand now that you are allowed the use of 2 hands.
    First week is range time, second week was instructor development.

Dittos on what everyone else said about Capt Washington, a class act and excellent instructor.

I think the Op. was referring to the FBI course of fire that starts at the 50 yard line using a Q target rather than the Bullseye course but maybe not.

cadore

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    ST. Martinville
    If you can get through the Bulleye phase, the FBI 50 is a cake walk. That FBI bowling pin shaped target looks like the side of a barn compared to that bullseye at 25.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    That's what I'm worried about. I was top gun and consistently shoot 120s and for whatever reason I'm nervous.

When are you scheduled to go? Where are you located? If your here in the southern part of the state they have a BE match on the 3rd saturday of the month at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville. You'll have to shoot one handed but the experience will be great. The FBI 50 yd course is not that difficult, but it would be helpful to have some 50 yd experience and you should be practicing that anyway.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom