FEEDBACK WANTED: 1911 vs. Glock

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I think if he were around, John M. Browning would probably say something like.....

"See that tilt barrel locking system? He stole that from me. I was Moses long before Heston, bi*ches...."

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Yup. Second from bottom. Lemme know when you want to go shoot.

I like that 1911.
    I'm almost done with getting the stuff finished. I got all my targets cleaned today. We had a new guy start so I told him to build me a stand that would hold a target (we were kinda slow today) so I checked back in a couple hours and this is some concoction he came up with lmao. Redneck style
    ube6uqet.jpg

ety8ynym.jpg

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    My dad swore by his Colt 1911 he's had for 40+ years and I swore by my G17. Right before he died 1.5 years ago,he shot my G17 at the range for the first time and promised me that before he would finish a mag,the gun would end up back in my hands. Well....400 rounds later,he was smiling ear to ear. The next day he bought his first Glock (G17) and 1000 rounds of ammo. We went out to his ranch in Mississippi and started a redneck ammo dump with a few friends....he had a blast.

Three days later,he passed away.

kman

Collector
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    1911's are a work of art,well balanced,they stay on target and a real pleasure to shoot. Glocks are a plane,square hunk of plastic that eat anything and never fail to run. I like both equally well.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Yup. Second from bottom. Lemme know when you want to go shoot.

My 9mm Trojan is probably my favorite gun I own. I have close to 3k through it this year since I got it around May. Only malfunctions I had were my first set of reloads when I didnt have the crimp set right. I put 250-300 rounds through it every range trip lately.

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Glock for work. 1911 for play.

I bought my first 1911 (Kimber Super Carry HD) last year, and my second (Springfield Armory MC Operator) this weekend. I would rather shoot them over the 4 glocks i have, but i will not carry anything BUT a glock on duty.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Glock rules the world. Almost literally. But I haven't met many who "love" their Glocks. Except right after a fight. :)

1911's are iconic blasters and they do have a relevant place imo in defensive uses. Particularly civilian defensive uses where care can be taken for proper lube and maintenance. Many "love" their 1911's just for what they are and represent.

So I'll gladly shoot my 1911 a lot and dig it for what it is...but I'll bet my life daily, under all conditions, on Gaston's plasto blaster.

Just my .02. YMMV and almost certainly will.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    1911's are iconic blasters and they do have a relevant place imo in defensive uses. Particularly civilian defensive uses where care can be taken for proper lube and maintenance.

I feel like pointing this out, because I agree 100%.

I do however feel that it's a VERY small cross-section of the gun owning/toting world that fits into that category.

Indeed, many folks will shoot a 1911 better than a Glock-- on the static and square range. Under stress, the hits become so erratic that the shooter performs equally (bad) with both-- at which point, more rounds could well be a decisive factor.

At the same time, few know enough about firearms themselves to make two KEY determinations in regards to a suitable 1911 for carry-- that being one of quality/reliability, and equally important, how to keep it running ALL OF THE TIME.

I know you fall into this narrow category quite clearly and consistently, and I came name several other members on this board that do as well. But I still have to contend that the vast majority of Joe Blows running around out there aren't gaining any of the benefits from JMBs design, while simultaneously running all of the risks associated with carrying one.

Personally, I just don't care for cleaning guns. Or keeping logs of their usage, for the sake of preemptively replacing parts. Or breaking them down to inspect for wear on a regular basis. Otherwise, I might very well see things in a different light entirely-- and honestly, I'm pondering a transition to something that's almost a middle ground between the "shootability" of the 1911 and the raw functionality of the Glock. (Hence my interest in your post!)

Top Bottom