Feeling a bit trapped with modern lifestyle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Source your meat locally if possible. It's hard to avoid gmo crap. We grow a garden every year and can what we don't eat or freeze it. Hunt for wild hog and save the meat. Eat venison more. Get backyard chickens. It's not cheaper than buying organic eggs but you will at least KNOW what they are eating. We let ours free range in our little yard as much as possible. Honeyville grains online has good pricing for organic everything and shipping is cheap. Good luck!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    "organic" is overstated. Free range, healthy animals, non genetically altered foods, etc.

I'm not trying to eliminate it (you CAN get "good" sugar.... Even if you can't, honey replaces it 1:1.

Jack Sperico over at the survival podcast has lots of good podcasts on permaculture, and being realistic about it. (I'm not trying to go hardcore 100%) but yea, it's a concern.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Crops grown with "organic" fertilizers as compared to "inorganic" think 8-8-8, are identical.
    The uptake of nutrients by plant roots is a very specific process. The nutrient must chemically cross into the
    root hair of the root. The plant can ONLY take up these nutrients in the most basic chemical form.
    For example: Potassium is taken up in the ion form K+. The plant does not know if the K+ came from
    a dead fish, a pile of manure, or a bag from the hardware store. The idea that bag fertilizer is bad and
    "organic" is good is simply false. The exact same ion is taken in regardless of the source.

On the issue of pesticides and food safety. As stated above, farmers use the absolute minimum amount of pesticides that they need.
    GMO's have drastically reduced the amount of pesticide that is applied on today's farms.
    Washing of any fruit or vegetable before consumption, will bring pesticide levels that might be on the food to a safe level.

Oh, and lastly, you have a better chance of getting sick from Juan, Miguel, or Jose scratching their ass and picking your strawberries, than any of the
    other possible contaminates.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Just like everything else in life there are things out of your control and things within your control. Concentrate on those and don't get overwhelmed and consumed by the things that are out of your hands.
    There is a vegetable farm just up the road from my house that I try to buy from as much as possible. He uses pesticides when needed and uses hybrid and GMO seeds. But the quality is light years beyond a tomato or ear of corn grown in California or Mexico and picked a week before they are ripe.
    My uncle as well as other people I deal with raise cattle and they are raised on grass, finished on feed and treated appropriately when sick. They are processed at a slaughter house 3 miles from me.
    But there are times when I pick up Subway for lunch or go eat hot wings.
    Help yourself where you can but don't sweat the petty things.

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I went organic a few years back. At first it's a bit overwhelming trying to figure out what to buy and where. Then you find out things like even some of the organic foods at Whole Foods are still GMO and you feel like giving up. Well don't, you'll figure it all out and once you do life gets easier. Like RedStickChick said, get to know your local farmers market. There is a code of honor among the members and they're honest about the food they grow. We have the Red Stick Farmers Market every Saturday morning here in BR and I'm sure there is a similar one in Shreveport.
    I highly recommend watching Dr. Greger's daily videos on this website http://nutritionfacts.org/
    He puts out short daily videos that help make sense of all your nutrition/pollution/GMO concerns and questions.

This is a video from a talk he gave to a group of doctors last year. It's a long video but worth every minute.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I've been wrestling with this same topic lately. I started researching what other, more "healthy" countries eat and was surprised at my findings. How many overweight Brazilians have you met? Or Japanese for that matter, other than Sumo wrestlers? Lots of natural fish, fruits and veggies, very few "processed" foods. I've started substituting quinoa for rice, limiting my processed food intake, forgoing breads and grains for fruits and veggies and drinking as much water as I possibly can throughout the day. I just started this a couple weeks ago and it took some adjusting but so far so good. I've noticed my energy levels have risen and I seem to not crave the sugars anymore. I'm going to try and see if I can procure some vinison from a friend of mine because I refuse to buy meat from a grocery store.

This is exactly what my wife and I have done also. We used to live on fast food and Diet Coke. No more. Its been a learning experience. I can't remember the last time I had a soda or bread or pasta. The results I see keep me motivated. By the end of January if all goes well I will have lost 100 lbs and she has lost 75. Some days are better then others and we have a cheat day from time to time for a pizza or something. We also crossfit 3-4 sometimes 5 times a week.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Meh. We're all going to die from radiation poisoning from Japan in a few years. Looks like they do get to retaliate for Hiroshima after all... :)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm a bit confused. Life expectancy and quality of life is at an all time high in the history of humanity. Why is the modern lifestyle such a bad experience for you that you feel trapped in it?

Is trying to get away from GMOs, corporate monopolies, and hormones in plants really that important in the grand scheme of things?
    Lifespan has been drastically enhanced, but how? I don't have facts or figures in front of me, but consider the children who used to die of things we now vaccinate for. That severely impacted average life span. Are we really living longer, healthier lives, or is the average just going up?

Look at all the heart disease we have.
    Cancer seems to be a constant, historically, as a whole.

I feel that our bodies were not made for the **** we put in them. The government, and big ag, pharma, etc. Are shoveling crap at us left and right in attempt to supoort more and more people with the same biomass of resource, and to profit while doing it. I feel like all machines run better on the fuel they were made to run on. I don't care how anyone thinks we got here, but I do challenge anyone to support that we run optimally on this junk.

I'm moving later this year, buying 35 acres next week. Chickens are o my short list, and my land has tons of deer. I need to look into what the soil will support up there for food. I want to reduce cost. Reduce dependence, and reduce the crap I ingest.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I went organic a few years back. At first it's a bit overwhelming trying to figure out what to buy and where. Then you find out things like even some of the organic foods at Whole Foods are still GMO and you feel like giving up. Well don't, you'll figure it all out and once you do life gets easier. Like RedStickChick said, get to know your local farmers market. There is a code of honor among the members and they're honest about the food they grow. We have the Red Stick Farmers Market every Saturday morning here in BR and I'm sure there is a similar one in Shreveport.
    I highly recommend watching Dr. Greger's daily videos on this website http://nutritionfacts.org/
    He puts out short daily videos that help make sense of all your nutrition/pollution/GMO concerns and questions.

This is a video from a talk he gave to a group of doctors last year. It's a long video but worth every minute.

Thanks! I am easing more and more into organic. When I get moved later this year, I hear fayetteville/Rogers has a great farmers market.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    John, I would definitely be planting a sizable garden up there with all the space you'll have. Not sure exactly what you'll be able to grow in the climate, but I'm sure you could get a good selection of fruit/veggies and herbs (for flavor, not weed) to replace store-bought food. That way you know where it came from.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Lifespan has been drastically enhanced, but how? I don't have facts or figures in front of me, but consider the children who used to die of things we now vaccinate for. That severely impacted average life span. Are we really living longer, healthier lives, or is the average just going up?

Look at all the heart disease we have.
    Cancer seems to be a constant, historically, as a whole.

I feel that our bodies were not made for the **** we put in them. The government, and big ag, pharma, etc. Are shoveling crap at us left and right in attempt to supoort more and more people with the same biomass of resource, and to profit while doing it. I feel like all machines run better on the fuel they were made to run on. I don't care how anyone thinks we got here, but I do challenge anyone to support that we run optimally on this junk.

I'm moving later this year, buying 35 acres next week. Chickens are o my short list, and my land has tons of deer. I need to look into what the soil will support up there for food. I want to reduce cost. Reduce dependence, and reduce the crap I ingest.

I think you're confusing junk food with healthy foods that happen to be genetically modified or fed hormones to improve yield. Our bodies were not meant for oreos and cheese whiz... However I doubt it cares if the corn you're eating was genetically modified to be resistant to insects. A chicken breast from an organic cage free chicken is not that different than one from a standard factory farm to your body unless you choose to deep fry one rather than grill it.

Sitting around working in a cubicle only using your fingers to play on a cell phone and type on a keyboard is far worse for your health than some genetically modified grains.

Kb60bjn.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I think you're confusing junk food with healthy foods that happen to be genetically modified or fed hormones to improve yield. Our bodies were not meant for oreos and cheese whiz... However I doubt it cares if the corn you're eating was genetically modified to be resistant to insects. A chicken breast from an organic cage free chicken is not that different than one from a standard factory farm to your body unless you choose to deep fry one rather than grill it.

Sitting around working in a cubicle only using your fingers to play on a cell phone and type on a keyboard is far worse for your health than some genetically modified grains.

Kb60bjn.jpg

As jwg stated earlier, I don't think the rise average life expectancy completely correlates with the change in diet over the years. Yes, we as an average may not die from starvation as much and surely certain advancements in agriculture have helped that but that doesn't necessarily mean the food is healthy or that it has helped increase life expectancy other than more production that in turn keeps some people from going malnourished. Personally, I have to agree with him that the average life span has been increased because of technological/medical advancements that keep young children from dieing so young and adults from dieing of injuries, ect.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

Kb60bjn.jpg

Right now, studies do not confirm whether or not GMO's cause cancer.
    http://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/issues/2013-august/gmoscancer.html

I consider MD Anderson a reasonably valid source. What does that mean? It means that they can't show that it doesn't, either, and with all that Monsanto and other giants have to lose, they have not won that battle. It's...inconclusive. If it didn't cause cancer, it would have been open/shut/done by now "safe and done". No more debate. But even Monsantos can't pry a resolute answer from the studies. Maybe I'm suspicious, but that, to me, says "Do not eat".

Now, do I think GMO's are more important to avoid than a sedentary lifestyle? Than cheese whiz? No. I certainly don't. I'm not saying that in the least. I'm just saying...I'd like to. Screw big ag and how they abuse the industry and lie to the American people. I'd avoid GMO on principal alone, benefits to my health or not.

This is how Monsanto works:
    http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

So if they can't "prove GMO's are safe"...damn!

Their answer?

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/monsantos-past.aspx

Basically "Don't associate that with US...we sold the production of it."

Since I have dug further into food, and seen what all goes into it (or...what little...damn near everything is just a corn product laced with sugar in some form to make it addictive, at the core. ****, they even add sugar to meat! Rediculous.)

A bit about sugar...
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/sugar-and-salt/
    So why do they put it in all their products? It's addictive. That's why. Makes good life-customers...
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...abetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419
    and
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsu...ine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I am by far no expert on the subject, but anytime we are dealing with big govnt and corporations there is a good chance that what is being dealt is a bunch of horse **** that they turn into $ to line their pockets at any cost. Anyone who says different, pull your head out your ass and see the world for what it is. Like I said before though, this along with many other issues is basically out of our hands and power to control so its probably best to just do what you feel is best and roll with it.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Right now, studies do not confirm whether or not GMO's cause cancer.
    http://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/issues/2013-august/gmoscancer.html

I consider MD Anderson a reasonably valid source. What does that mean? It means that they can't show that it doesn't, either, and with all that Monsanto and other giants have to lose, they have not won that battle. It's...inconclusive. If it didn't cause cancer, it would have been open/shut/done by now "safe and done". No more debate. But even Monsantos can't pry a resolute answer from the studies. Maybe I'm suspicious, but that, to me, says "Do not eat".

Now, do I think GMO's are more important to avoid than a sedentary lifestyle? Than cheese whiz? No. I certainly don't. I'm not saying that in the least. I'm just saying...I'd like to. Screw big ag and how they abuse the industry and lie to the American people. I'd avoid GMO on principal alone, benefits to my health or not.

This is how Monsanto works:
    http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

So if they can't "prove GMO's are safe"...damn!

Their answer?

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/monsantos-past.aspx

Basically "Don't associate that with US...we sold the production of it."

Most fruits, and vegetables are not GMOs. Most wheat and rice varieties are not GMOs. Sugarcane is not a GMO. Soybeans, corn and cotton are.

I am much more concerned with the Aspartame that I consume is vast quantities everyday, than GMOs.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Most fruits, and vegetables are not GMOs. Most wheat and rice varieties are not GMOs. Sugarcane is not GMO. Soybeans, corn and cotton are.

I am much more concerned with the Aspartame that I consume is vast quantities everyday, than GMOs.

I'm concerned with all of it, GMO, aspartame, sugar, etc. It's all an affront to the body, in my opinion, and the politics behind it are sickening on a political front.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    There is definitely a difference in the quality of food between the locally grown/organic stuff than the Wal-Mart/Giant Chain stuff. Huge difference in a tomato for sure.

We generally try to eat local and organic for the most part, but we don't sweat it if it's not. I'll still eat a hot dog for sure.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    There is definitely a difference in the quality of food between the locally grown/organic stuff than the Wal-Mart/Giant Chain stuff. Huge difference in a tomato for sure.

We generally try to eat local and organic for the most part, but we don't sweat it if it's not. I'll still eat a hot dog for sure.

There is no doubt that a locally produced product is going to taste better than the "force ripened" stuff at Walmart or a grocery store.
    I will challenge you to do a blind taste test of locally produced "organic" and "traditional" vegetables. Most people will say organic
    taste better if they know in advance it is organic. If they don't know which is which, they usually can't tell the difference.

Top Bottom