FFL Drama - Help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Ok, has anything like this ever happened to someone of knowledge here & if so, how did you fix it: I bought 2 guns from the same guy roughly 2 weeks ago on gunbroker. I paid him & he shipped to an ffl close to where I live. I'd never dealt with this ffl before but he was $25 (most others here are $35) & his shop is 5 minutes from my house. He's relatively new. I don't want to say names bc I'm not trying to bash anyone, I just need the problem fixed. So anyway, the guns arrive today & I call my FFL to confirm he has them so I can go pick them up & he is basically throwing a fit with me. He's saying the guns need to go back bc they're not from an FFL dealer. They're from a private citizen or something like that. He said that the seller needed to go to a shop in AL (where he lives) and use an FFL to ship the guns to Kenner. Apparently, this guy did not & my guy is throwing a fit. He also said the guy shipped the guns USPS & not UPS or FED EX which he is saying is bigtime illegal (yet he picked them up from the post office & they're at his shop now). He's saying the guns have to be sent back to Alabama & done "the right way." I guess since I'm just made of money in this economy (joke!) I will have to pay all the shipping fees & this is where I'm just annoyed beyond comprehension. I have bought at least 20-something guns off gunbroker in the last 10 years & this has NEVER happened before & i know some of them were just everyday guys like me, not gun dealers. Granted, I used either 10-8 or Shooter's Club as FFL's but this has never happened & I've never even heard of something like this happening. How much of what he's saying is accurate? Are there any remedies? Like maybe have my guy here ship it to Shooter's Club if they're willing to accept it?

Any helpful ideas or comments appreciated.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Ok, I see. Thanks for the quick response. Both guns were handguns though & it says handguns can't be mailed thru usps. Any way to get around that? well, haha, I guess other than the fact the seller ALREADY mailed them thru the mail, is there any way arond that?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    What the guys above me said.

Its a CHOICE, I can tell you in Lafayette area very FEW FFL's take guns from individuals, most of them much rather deal with an FFL to FFL transfer.

Those FFL's that do take guns from individuals require for a CLEAR copy of a DL to be attached with the paperwork.

I was told by one FFL in my area the reasson he does NOT take guns from individuals any more is because he has been burned way too many times from people sending him stolen guns, and if this happens he has to do all kind of paperwork which makes it no longer worth it for him for $30 bucks, and hence the reasson they much rather the gun to come from another FFL.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    He's right, it IS illegal for the seller to ship USPS. And not all FFL's accept transfers from non-FFL holders, it's just a judgement call on their part. I always double-check with an FFL before I have a gun sent from an individual.

I don't blame him one bit, his ass is on the line over a few bucks.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Ok, I see. Thanks for the quick response. Both guns were handguns though & it says handguns can't be mailed thru usps. Any way to get around that? well, haha, I guess other than the fact the seller ALREADY mailed them thru the mail, is there any way arond that?
    He probably mailed them via Fedex or UPS. The law doesn't care who they come from, only how they get there.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    ONLY FFL's can ship handguns via USPS, otherwise it has to be shipped via Fedex, UPS

UNLESS, you are shipping directly to the manufacture for repairs and its not a sale to another person.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    No, they were usps. I had the tracking number & "followed it" the whole way here. I don't necessarily blame the guy here, but he could've told me his policy on stuff like that. I'm wondering though, can they just be shipped to Shooter's Club instead of back to AL & then back to Shooters' Club (obviously I'm not going with this ffl in Kenner anymore)?

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    The guy shoulda' just told you to get the seller to send a clear copy of his valid state DL, log the gun in and complete the transfer - explaining nicely to you that he does not accept transfers from individuals in the future. His chioce but he does not need to get irrate with a customer. IMO.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So is he saying he wants to send them back to a private citizen "things will just get worse if so"?

IMO He "should" have got a copy of the other guys FFL before he picked them up "if thats what he wanted".

I dont think sending them back will change ANYTHING. He needs to move on.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    The dealer can't ship them directly to an person. Especially if he has already put them in the bound book.
    Yes he wasnt supposed supposed to ship them usps, thats between the seller and the usps.
    I think its a stupid policy that he won't accept them from an indiv, as long as he included a copy of his DL

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Hdfinder47, I tell ya, it's comical...he's furiously pissed with me saying that now this guy in AL has a copy of his FFL & "can buy all the guns he wants in my name." I told him I wasn't concerned who has a copy of anything being as now I have to spend $$$ on additional shipping charges.

Bigtattoo79, yeah, he's saying he "has to" send them back. That's why I was trying to see if it was legal for me to just get him to ship them to Shooter's Club.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Hdfinder47, I tell ya, it's comical...he's furiously pissed with me saying that now this guy in AL has a copy of his FFL & "can buy all the guns he wants in my name." I told him I wasn't concerned who has a copy of anything being as now I have to spend $$$ on additional shipping charges.

Bigtattoo79, yeah, he's saying he "has to" send them back. That's why I was trying to see if it was legal for me to just get him to ship them to Shooter's Club.

He CANNOT by law send them back!!!! "He is a dumb a@@ to send them to a non FFL!!!

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    I know him, he's not gonna do the 4473 form himself so I figure at this point I need to get the guns out of his possession to someone who WILL deal with me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom