FFL for Personal Use

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.lambert

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Baton Rouge.
    Anyone have their own personal FFL? Family members and myself purchase firearms regularly and are wondering if it would be worth the cost to get my own FFL?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it's as easy as that, just deciding to get one. I don't think they just pass them out to save you the hassle. I'm pretty sure you have to show that you intend to buy and sell (to 3rd parties) and have the facilities to do so. I'm sure someone who knows for certain and/or has an FFL will be along shortly...

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it's as easy as that, just deciding to get one. I don't think they just pass them out to save you the hassle. I'm pretty sure you have to show that you intend to buy and sell (to 3rd parties) and have the facilities to do so. I'm sure someone who knows for certain and/or has an FFL will be along shortly...

Hense the 'friends and family....'

S.lambert

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Baton Rouge.
    Yes the main reason is for family and friends but also for fellow BS members. Im not looking to make it into an income just mainly to support a hobby.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Nomad, is it $200/year? At $10/transaction that's 20 sales/year. Seems like a good bit just to break even and have to put up with the ATF. Do you have one? What kind of paperwork / records does it take?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    You'd be better off just using an FFL . Money Matters in Denham Springs charges $15 for transfers and if you buy off gunbroker or somesuch you can save the sales tax but not the shipping. Higher end guns would be cheaper paying the shipping.
    I believe you have to have some kind of "storefront" with security, safes , etc and then there is the sales tax collection and record keeping, etc., not to mention the background checks and all the red tape to get the license, license fee.
    They eliminated kitchen table FFL's a good while back.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I believe you have to have some kind of "storefront" with security, safes , etc and then there is the sales tax collection and record keeping, etc., not to mention the background checks and all the red tape to get the license, license fee.
    They eliminated kitchen table FFL's a good while back.

This is my understanding. I think it's nearly impossible to obtain an FFL at a residential location now. I looked into it but hit hurdle after hurdle right from the get go, and finally just said screw it...

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Yes the main reason is for family and friends but also for fellow BS members. Im not looking to make it into an income just mainly to support a hobby.

I was advised that you must intend to purchase and sell firearms for profit as the main reason to obtain one. The paperwork isn't too bad but you must facilitate this purpose (safe/area of business/etc.). Also keeping records can be a pain if you're not organized. I would contact a local FFL to see what the whole deal is.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    They will want to see a copy of your business license, tax id, resale certificate, workshop/storefront, etc. Not to mention all the work involved with recordkeeping, giving them shop times, and the right to show up at any time to inspect your books and inventory. If you deal with good sellers the markup is more than fair based on the costs involved for the store owner.
    Of course you are free to do whatever you like, but they strongly discourage and do their best to avoid allowing pesonal use FFL's to exist.

turp23

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ponchatoula
    I was advised that you must intend to purchase and sell firearms for profit as the main reason to obtain one. The paperwork isn't too bad but you must facilitate this purpose (safe/area of business/etc.). Also keeping records can be a pain if you're not organized. I would contact a local FFL to see what the whole deal is.

You were advised correctly. The application specifically states, "if you intend to use an ffl to buy/purchase firearms for friends/family, do not submit this application". As well as, " do you intend to make a profit? if not, do not submit this application." A lot of red tape.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Nomad, is it $200/year? At $10/transaction that's 20 sales/year. Seems like a good bit just to break even and have to put up with the ATF. Do you have one? What kind of paperwork / records does it take?

Nope, 2 years.

So that's 10.5 per year.

And don't forget.... You save not paying a FFL yourself.

Additionally places like Brownells etc will give C&R or FFL holders pricebreaks.
    Guns, ammo, parts, gear etc.

The "no kitchen table FFL's" is a MYTH.

It was SOT...

Yea... go ask a FFL.... who's looking at lost business by telling you how it is.:rolleyes:

I don't have one, buddy of mine (Godchildrens Dad) got it insted due to my 'nomadic nature'

Once I settle down I'll pick one up, so I checked w/ him about everything.

Probably get my SOT also.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    They will want to see a copy of your business license, tax id, resale certificate, workshop/storefront, etc. Not to mention all the work involved with recordkeeping, giving them shop times, and the right to show up at any time to inspect your books and inventory. If you deal with good sellers the markup is more than fair based on the costs involved for the store owner.
    Of course you are free to do whatever you like, but they strongly discourage and do their best to avoid allowing pesonal use FFL's to exist.

No.

Why not contact some of the guys who are FFL's here?

Better chance of a straight/informed answers...

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    No.

Why not contact some of the guys who are FFL's here?

Better chance of a straight/informed answers...

Have had one for over 2 years now for my own shop. Will be happy to provide you or any one else with the appropriate information. My FFL is mainly to ship and receive for gun work, and I do very few sales. The agent sat here for almost 2 hours for the interview. Sorry to inform you that I believe you are mistaken.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Have had one for over 2 years now for my own shop. Will be happy to provide you or any one else with the appropriate information. My FFL is mainly to ship and receive for gun work, and I do very few sales. The agent sat here for almost 2 hours for the interview. Sorry to inform you that I believe you are mistaken.

You must be a suspicious character.:D

My buddy's delt with the ATF (Other than calling THEM) for all of 15 minutes in 4 years.:p

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009

My buddy's delt with the ATF (Other than calling THEM) for all of 15 minutes in 4 years.:p

Nope, I like to think I'm pretty straightforward, and have onlt had one quick followup visit since then. But they did expect to see the business licenses and tax information at the start. My interview was apparently no longer than any other recent ones I've heard about, but they are thorough and they did want to make sure that it was not just for my use.

If you can get one for that great and power to you, but I'm not sure that's possible nowdays.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

If I'm not mistaken, most of the negative changes in rules/laws regarding FFLs, particularly home-based FFls happened in the last 2 years or so. Maybe your buddy got his before all the BS.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    If I'm not mistaken, most of the negative changes in rules/laws regarding FFLs, particularly home-based FFls happened in the last 2 years or so. Maybe your buddy got his before all the BS.

It's possible, but years back it was the same song and dance.

He was renting and was told that you couldn't get one while renting, that they wern't giving them to kitchen table dealers etc.... all the things we're reading now.

THey just wanted a note from his land lady saying she was OK with it and proof it wasn't against Zoning.

Didn't even haveto send in Tax lisense

I guess the only way to be sure would be to contact the ATF.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009

I do believe you are absolutely correct. Several things were grandfathered in but I know mine is one of the newest in the area because lists are available. I do know that the number of licenesed dealers is on the decline but the local LEO is still fine with the paperwork so any changes are coming from the top.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I forgot to add that EVERY company I have done business with has needed a business license and a tax certificate to ship anything to me at dealer cost.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom