FFl question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    when shipping a rifle from one individual to another in the same state is an FFL needed? I was told no. Can't figure out how to search for the answer on the ATF website.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I don't see any restrictions as far as shipping a handgun through UPS or Fedex other than their corporate policies. :cool:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Not gonna happen if you tell them what it is (unless it is to an FFL), and you are supposed to do that, by law.

DHL- only accepts guns from "known shippers" (like, have a huge account with them) to FFLs.

UPS- Will do it (to FFLs), but you have to go through a hub, and cannot ship other things with it.

FedEx- Will do it(to FFLs), but you have to go through a hub and it is a huge hassle (also noticed a "no weapons" sign on the door at the hub here)

You are supposed to ship handguns overnight, for like $50.00

Ragin Cajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    OK, here's my experience in the matter *as* an 01 FFL.

Legally, you *can* ship weapons to a non-FFL in the same state, but good luck getting it to happen.

UPS and FedEx will accept guns, but it's at the store's discretion and it's a big PITA. The FedEx here demands that the gun be disassembled.

I ship my guns USPS and ammo FedEx. USPS won't accept ammo, it's too much of a PITA to disassemble the gun for FedEx, and the UPS store in town isn't allowed to accept guns for shipment. Store manager isn't too happy about it, either. Apparently he loses alot of business because of it.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    UPS wouldn't even let me ship a pistol grip for an AR in the same box as some 30-30 shells when I went to the hub up here to send Spanky some stuff for the raffle.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom