FFL Transfer Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Actually, I have a few questions.
    1. Is there a BS list of local dealers/FFL's and what they charge for transfers on this site? I have searched but get very little. I was hoping for a one stop 'sticky' with info. I would like to support the people on this site who have been so helpful to me.

2. I pulled the list of local FFL holders in this area from Gunbroker and some list their fees. Some have flat charges like $35, then others will have a fee plus sales tax or other fees. Are FFL's required to collect sales tax?

3. Are there typically other fees or NICS not listed but implied? In other words, a $25 fee may not include a $10 NICS fee and the tax, etc

4. One guy may list $15 transfer while another is $50. Is there any advantage to paying more? I'm assuming the extra fees, that may be required, could be included with one and not the other.

I've never purchased a firearm from out of state and would like to know what I'm in for and if buying from a site like Gunbroker is even worth it after fees and shipping. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I personally would NEVER do business with an FFL who wants to charge me Tax on a Service.

its usually a price and done deal, fill in the form 4473 which you can do ahead of time while you are waiting on your firearm to get shipped, when the FFL calls for your clearance he just has to specify if its a handgun, long-gun or part (other), some people get delayed and some dont so I usually do my form ahead just in case, it gives me 2 days of waiting time until the weapon arrives.

Very few ship overnight since they can actually mail with USPS if its an FFL to FFL transfer and they are not required to mail overnight air.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    The ONLY reason I personally would purchase something from an auction site is because A) Its a item that isn't available locally due to the fact that its new, in short supply or its a vintage item no longer made.

or

B) I was getting an INCREDIBLE deal. And by incredible deal, I'm talking like at LEAST $100 cheaper in price over what I could get it locally for, because remember, when you buy from an auction site, you ALWAYS have to factor in the cost of SHIPPING and FFL fees. Shipping is usually a min of $35 and I'm usually charged $20 by my FFL guy. So it just doesn't make it worth it to me unless these conditions are met.

As far as FFL fees, there was a discussion on this a couple weeks ago about what people think is fair and or are willing to pay for an FFL transfer.

These fees vary widely depending on who you deal with. Some people will charge a flat fee no matter how many guns are transferred, some will charge you per gun if there are multiple transfers. Some people charge $15, some people charge $50. If you can find a small time local FFL who doesn't have a lot of overhead (which is what I did), they are usually more likely to charge you less for their service. I don't mind paying a modest fee for their time. They had to pay for the license, the insurance, etc etc. they should get SOMETHING out of the deal.

What I personally have found is that the places that charge the most for FFL transfers are usually the places like Jim's Firearms in BR, for example. They charge more for transfers USUALLY because they see it as losing a sale on an item that they have in stock. Plus, they have a large store and employees which = big overhead.

With a little time spent calling around, you can find someone who's willing to transfer for you at a price you consider reasonable. Try calling your local pawn & gun shops. Wish I had someone to recommend in your area, but unfortunately I don't. Maybe someone whos local to you will see your post and recommend someone.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    In the past, I've just been charged the fee. No taxes. I don't mind a moderate fee (up to say $40). I think it's fair and covers the time and trouble they go to for you for the service. I'm all for supporting your local businesses, but when they want to charge $100-$200 more then I can get it online, hey, I'm not made of money. Wish I did have the greenbacks to throw around.

~rc~

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I bought a gun from Bud's, getting a much better price than I could locally, and transferred it thru Precision for $25 plus zero tax/fee.
    It was a very smooth transaction. When the gun came in, they called me, I went over there, filled out the form, and, bingo, went home with it.
    :squint:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    1. There is no list.

2. Apparently it's a service so they aren't supposed to pay sales tax. The FFL I use charges $15 and I've always paid tax on that amount. I will correct that on my next transfer.

3. NICS does not charge a fee so any "NICS fee" is BS. Pay a flat rate and nothing else.

4. There is no advantage to paying more. They receive the gun. You pay them. They transfer the gun to you. Done.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Thanks for the info. I have a much better feel for what to expect. Originally, when looking at the list presented on the Gunbroker site of local FFL's, I assumed when they listed sales tax, I thought it was taxing the item and not the service. It made me wonder if, like purchasing a vehicle from out of state, there were tax requirements. Thanks again for all the replies.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have used Gene's Pawn a few times. Flat 15.00 bucks, nice guys.

+1, best service I have had transferring a gun and the best price. They always call when they come in. Others do not.

I always stop by ahead of time, give them the information on the sale, i.e. gun type, serial number, seller, etc, because most sellers do not put your information in the box before they ship. I have purchased many guns online or from out of state and not a single one came with information about me. This includes new purchases from established ffls.

Top Bottom