Fiber optic sights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atc26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2007
    Livingston, Louisiana
    I'm exploring the idea of replacing the sights on my pistol with a good set of fiber optic sights. I don't have any experience with fiber optics and I'm curious about the experiences others have had with them. For instance, do they enhance one's sight picture or are they a distraction. Your comments are appreciated.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I'm exploring the idea of replacing the sights on my pistol with a good set of fiber optic sights. I don't have any experience with fiber optics and I'm curious about the experiences others have had with them. For instance, do they enhance one's sight picture or are they a distraction. Your comments are appreciated.

I have them on a couple of firearms, love the hell out of them. Especially with my old worn out eyes .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For a defensive pistol, I would steer clear of fiber optics, just from a reliability standpoint.

However, I do like fiber optics, and if you take care of them, they will work wonderfully.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We have a couple of guns over here if you want to come by to look a them. I've used fiber optic sights and they do help at times. Even if the fiber it self falls off sight is still there. So it's not a real problem even on a defensive pistol.

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    12728 Jefferson Hwy.
    Baton Rouge

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I run a Tritium front and a all black rear on my carry guns and love that setup. Personally I would never put fiber optics on a carry gun.

atc26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2007
    Livingston, Louisiana
    Thank you for your input, it was most helpful. The pistol I want to upgrade is a Sig 239. I do carry it concealed from time to time so it does serve as an occasional defensive weapon. I hadn't thought about the Tritium front / black back sight combination but I like the idea. For me, simple is better. This gives me a lot to think about.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    People do tend to recommend trit night sights, but most full time instructors I have heard from don't seem to diss FO sights at all. I just watched a Mike Pannone video about pistol sight use and he pushes FO sights as giving a better sight picture with no downside. This gets into the fact that you can't/shouldn't be shooting at what you can't see, so you will need a light making the trit less of a factor. Also, if the FO breaks, which is unlikely, you still have black sights which is what a lot of top guys recommend anyway.

I chose 10-8 sights for a FO. the front has an extra bar across the FO rod for protection. Don't know if it matters, but I figured it was insurance. I've had them on a G19 for 3 years without issue. YMMV

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    If you're an older dude like me (66 ), the fiber optic front on my S&W 22 cal revolver is a lot easier to see. They aren't battery powered and there has to be some light for them to pick up. I only use it plinking at tin cans and such. Carry it hiking in the woods...it is a "kit gun" .
    I believe the big question is how would you be using the gun the sights would be on ?
    Concealed carry....they can be broken , I don't know. The J-frame airweight in my pocket does not have them nor do want them installed. I painted the front ramp day-glow orange and that will do .
    Gary

Last edited:

Super Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii
    Fiber optic sights can be a very nice upgrade. For pure target shooting I still prefer a black Patridge style sight. I do find that the fiber optic sights seem to hold my attention better if I've been shooting a long time and start to lose concentration.

I think the best fiber optic sights are produced by Dawson Precision. These will generally be the first pick of Clark Custom and Cajun Gun Works. Dawson Precision will generally make the dimension front sight you want...even if it's not one they already have on their list.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sig-p-series-fiber-optic-front-sights/

A very important factor of the sight picture is how much daylight you have on the sides of your front sight. Everyone is different. But, older guys generally prefer a thinner front sight than what comes on most factory sights. Put a caliper on your front sight width and also find out the width of your rear sight notch. Even the depth of the rear notch can make a difference. (Too shallow or too deep throws me off.) Once you figure out your ideal sight picture you can duplicate it on your other guns by adjusting the sight width for various barrel lengths.

The gun brands that I buy usually have a .125 wide front sight and .125 wide rear sight. That goes for the snub nose K frame with a 1 7/8" barrel to the 8" N frame. The sight picture is way different on these two guns because of the sight radius... I asked Smith and Wesson why they don't put thinner sights on the shorter guns and they said it was too many parts to keep track of...

It looks like your Sig has a 3.6" barrel with a 5.2" sight radius. If it were me I'd start with a .100 wide fiber optic front sight if the rear sight is .125 wide. If that is to thin then order a .110 wide.

So, to sum it up...here's my preference and how it changes over barrel length. (rear notch is .125 on all guns)
    Snub nose revolver: .100
    5 to 6" revolver: .110
    8" revolver: .125

It takes some time and money to figure out what will work for you. But, once you find your ideal sight picture your accuracy will improve.

Dave

Hope I'm not violating any rules by providing links to some other info:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?showtopic=142607#entry1602832

http://www.australiancynic.com/NYGORD.htm#_What_About_Sights?

Top Bottom