fiberglass resin

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetMech

Displaced Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Shreveport
    No the water will still enter the grain of the wood. Then all you would have is rotten wood with flaking resin. I would use a good wood sealer that is designed for wood. I work on composites for a living and you would not believe the damage a little moisture will do.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I'll have to check with my glassman, but I have sealed wood using resin many times. It requires multiple coats, but unless the resin barrier is broken or you miss spots it will completely seal the wood. The fibers add strength but are not required to block water intrusion. If it is intended to be submersed it is possible to get water intrusion ala osmotic blistering thats where gel coat and paints are required.

Epoxy coated wood works well also...What is the application?

Last edited:

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I'll have to check with my glassman, but I have sealed wood using resin many times. It requires multiple coats, but unless the resin barrier is broken or you miss spots it will completely seal the wood. The fibers add strength but are not required to block water intrusion. If it is intended to be submersed it is possible to get water intrusion ala osmotic blistering thats where gel coat and paints are required.

Epoxy coated wood works well also...What is the application?

I'll agree with this one, But I haven't worked fiberglass in a long time.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    What is the application of this wood? You have polyester resin and epoxy resin. Epoxy resin is best when dealing with water, boats and flexibility. Polyester, not so much.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    I need to water proof a snake cage. I have done traditional wood finished before but it doesn't hold up to a 15 foot 150 pound python. Not to mention the pee from it eats right through the regular finishes after a while.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I need to water proof a snake cage. I have done traditional wood finished before but it doesn't hold up to a 15 foot 150 pound python. Not to mention the pee from it eats right through the regular finishes after a while.

dern.. :eek3:

I'll check when I get home but I have some leftover Epoxy Resin from my last boat project. How much surface area are you going to cover? If you ever come in to Baton Rouge you're welcome to it.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Grits you can also fiber wrap it, add resin and come back with car bondo on top of it, I have done SEVERAL speaker boxes this way and it not only has a bad ass finish but its super strong and you will NOT break it apart, nothing will pass through it either.

When I did painting, we did some work on Plantation homes and car bondo is actually MUCH better than wood filler for cracks and the house will fall before the bondo does.

Just a thought.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Why a uv protection? I cant paint it.

Epoxy Resin can be coated with a marine grade varnish to give it a UV protection. Epoxy Resin will become cloudy and I think can break down when exposed to UV light and unprotected.

**edited, I originally said marine grade epoxy but meant marine grade varnish**

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It will crack and peel without uv protection. You can get clear coatings that have uv protection.

Marine epoxy still needs uv protection.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If it's going to be the bottom of a snake cage, how much UV is it going to be exposed too?

If a heat lamp is used, it will need protection.

You could protect it and have it last for 20+years or you could not protect it and have it last for a few years. If Grits is building it, I am sure it is worthy of 20+years of protection.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom