Field Precision Rifle Class Concept Approved by the NRA HP Committee.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Figured Rick or Ted would have posted this. Came from Vu on snipershide. Overall a step in the right direction, except for the no brake/suppressor thing.

All,

I was invited to join in on the NRA High Power Committee’s conference call to discuss the possibility of Field Precision Rifle Class (FPR) aka F-Tactical becoming an official classification in F-Class.

After about a 20 minute discuss, the NRA HP Committee members approved FPR/F-Tactical in concept. There were too many questions and what ifs to answer right then and there, so I will be working with a committee member located in Sacramento on the finer details of this classification.

They were actually thinking of pushing it through for this coming year, but that was not meant to be. I expressed that I rather go back and refine things, rather than putting something out there half ass.

So the good news is the NRA is seriously thinking of including this classification under F-Class. This would mean TAC shooters can compete in our own class, and be ranked nationally.

Bad news: No brakes or suppressors. This would be a deal breaker for the committee members, so I agreed to change the rules to not allow brakes or suppressors. It is what it is.

Over all, I think this is one step forward in the right direction. This classification will give competitors that are just starting out a place to learn LR shooting, without having to run and gun. Or the guys that are retiring from all the run and gun stuff, but want to keep on shooting a TAC precision rife. This also adds another venue for us to compete among our peers with the hardware we have.

So what’s next?

I’ll be working with Rob Thomas (fellow club shooter) and the NRA HP Committee on finalizing the rules and specs for the classification over the next several months.

What I need from everyone (even if you don’t even plan on shooting one of these events):

1. I need everyone to post the specs of their rifle and weight with bi-pod attached. The more details on the rifle, the better.

Stock configuration:
    Optic:
    Barrel contour:
    Caliber:
    Mounting system, Rings, Base:
    Bi-Pod:

I need as many rifle weight specs as possible. Those that have stock AI, Sako, Savages, ect. Please give me your specs as well.

Thank you,

Vu

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I read the post and haven't replied hoping that I'd cool off, but it still pisses me off that one of the biggest attractions of FPR (use of brakes and suppressors) was taken off of the table. Vu has done an awesome job championing the NRA to recognize Field Precision, and perhaps this is us getting a foot in the door that will open to full acceptance. Still, some of the main aspects of tactical rifles are what's hanging off the barrel and for the committee to not even consider them shows their narrow mindedness to me.

There are some changes coming that Rick and I are involved with concerning some of the NRA sanctioned matches at Palo Alto and with this news we're wondering if it would even be worth adding the sanctioned FPR classification (NRA rules) or just keeping our monthly match the way it is (our rules). That said, when the time comes, the decision will be made by those of you who come out and shoot on a regular basis.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I agree, the use of brakes/suppressors is what attracted me to the class and Fclass in general.

Just keep us updated, my rifle doesnt fit in any other class and I do enjoy competing with yall whether its sanctioned or not.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The no can/brake part does suck. That along with loading from a mag really set it apart from F T/R.
    I do agree with the original poster on the hide. FPR is a great match where new shooters can learn to shoot a little distance without the pressure of a full blown f class match.
    Meh... This sukx.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    For what its worth, I really enjoy being able to shoot the FPR matches at Palo Alto the way they are now. Its laid back which makes it the most fun for me.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I can't add anything to what Ted said except to reinforce that we do not have to follow the NRA if we choose not to. We just would not have "official" classifications.

Last edited:

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I think that those who want to play the NRA rules and secure their designations under the new FPR class have the option to shoot the F CLass match on the first Sat of the month with the new class. I think the 2nd Sat matches at Palo Alto should continue as before especially for those with brakes and suppressors. FPR shooters should break off and begin their own association/sanctioning body , just as IDPA did from ISPSC early on, of course they are still under USPSA and how most of the 3 gun matches are now not under USPSA rules anymore. Just my 2 cents

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    For the FPR matches, we could run a "sanctioned" class and an "outlaw" class if there were enough shooters and have the best of both worlds. "Outlaws" would be eligible for cash/trophies/bragging rights, but not classification. Otherwise, keep it as it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom