Field Precision Rifle Competitions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GB300wm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Brusly, La.
    o Length will be measured from recoil lug to the front of the muzzle or brake on bolt action rifles.

Is this length the muzzle end of the recoil lug???

Thanks GB300wm

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I would be in. The only reason I haven't shot F-Class before now is the brake requirement. My brake has rock set on it and I really don't want to heat it to remove it. I don't have a dedicated F-Class rifle unless I shoot F-open and the rifle isn't ideal for that purpose.

My only concern is the caliber limitations. Why not open it up to the 6.5mm cartridges (260 Rem., 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore)? Those calibers do not give an advantage that justifies throwing them in the open class IMHO.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I would be in. The only reason I haven't shot F-Class before now is the brake requirement. My brake has rock set on it and I really don't want to heat it to remove it. I don't have a dedicated F-Class rifle unless I shoot F-open and the rifle isn't ideal for that purpose.

My only concern is the caliber limitations. Why not open it up to the 6.5mm cartridges (260 Rem., 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore)? Those calibers do not give an advantage that justifies throwing them in the open class IMHO.

They offer significant advantage over a .308.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    They offer significant advantage over a .308.

+1

Less recoil, higher BC, faster...

308 offers a significant advantage over 223 doesn't it?

The current F-Class rules prevent me from shooting the matches, because I don't have a rifle in the configuration needed. If a new class were started I'd love to see it broadened.

Not arguing, just stating my opinion as someone who has wanted to shoot the matches, but has been prevented from doing it by rules.

Every 308 rifle I have has a brake with rocksett on it. It's not really an option to heat the brake and wrench it off every time I want to shoot a match.

And getting thrown in the open class automatically makes it difficult if you have an alternate caliber.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

Not really. There is probably some advantage if you use 190s or 185 VLDs in the .308, but there are some pretty good .223 bullets that can be driven reasonably fast. Plus the .223 has low recoil going for it.

Ask those boys about how much an advantage a .308 was when Ashlynn Kliebert was shooting regularly.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

NOW you opened a can of worms!! haha

Actually, Berger's 90 VLD's claim to have a higher BC than the 175 SMK's. There's a young woman on this board who was kicking our ass in F-T/R for a year or so with a .223.....at 16 years old!! The .223 has significantly less recoil as well. Everything on paper shows the .223 has the potential to be a better caliber at 600yds, but the .308 takes less work to get it sorted. So the difference between the two F-T/R calibers really is nowhere near the difference between .308win and .260rem.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    At one point in time I was shooting JLK 90 gr VLD bullets out of an AR service rifle (20" barrel) at 2700 fps. These bullets have a .580 BC. I am sure i a 26" barrel they could have been driven to about 2850 fps. It would take a very strong .308 to beat it in the wind.

WARNING, THESE BARRELS HAD A SPECIAL LONG THROATED CHAMBER SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THESE BULLETS.

I quit using them when I decided to learn to read the wind better. LESSON TO PLINKY After improving my skill level and not trying to push the envelope for a ballistic advantage, I earned a Distinguished Rifleman badge and two Presidents medals.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I have a lot to learn.

Hopefully the field rifle category takes off and I will get an opportunity to shoot a match. I was seriously considering removing my brake, but to have to put it back on retime it and put rocksett on it every time I decide to use a suppressor is a deal breaker for me.

I really appreciate the information. I was unaware that the difference in the calibers I mentioned was as big as mentioned.

Thanks

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    That 90 gr service rifle load only had a 24" drift at 600 yards in a full value 10 mph wind. I am willing to bet some of the 80 gr VLD loads would come close to that. What does it take in a .308 to have a usable "advantage"?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I have a lot to learn.

Hopefully the field rifle category takes off and I will get an opportunity to shoot a match. I was seriously considering removing my brake, but to have to put it back on retime it and put rocksett on it every time I decide to use a suppressor is a deal breaker for me.

I really appreciate the information. I was unaware that the difference in the calibers I mentioned was as big as mentioned.

Thanks

Why don't you get another rifle. I think Savage builds some usable .308s. Scope it and come shoot. If you fall in love with shooting those matches, decide whether to go hog wild and build a match legal rifle. (or come over to the dark side and shoot service rifle. service rifles are cheap and don't need optics :dogkeke:)

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I don't have the ballistics knowledge to provide a valid argument. I was just curious and making suggestions as to what I felt would draw a bigger crowd .

I think my post came off argumentative instead of interrogative as I intended.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    TDH, you could have a Badger FTE break installed for a few hundred bucks and do as Ritten does at the matches and just take it off.

Ritten, you ever see any zero shift shooting that way?

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    TDH, you could have a Badger FTE break installed for a few hundred bucks and do as Ritten does at the matches and just take it off.

Ritten, you ever see any zero shift shooting that way?

I have one on another non 308 rifle. It does not work for my application. The brake I have is the quick detach mount for a suppressor. The FTE would not allow the same attachment.

The FTE also requires the barrel to be turned down under the brake.

Top Bottom