Fifth-graders held at gunpoint by cops over building a treehouse (VIDEO)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    http://www.guns.com/2014/04/09/fifth-graders-held-gunpoint-cops-building-treehouse-video/

Nothing implied... just sharing a news story...

When a group of fifth-grade boys gathered together to build a treehouse fort behind their homes, the last thing they expected was to have the police called on them who then responded with their guns drawn. But as local media reported, that’s exactly what happened last month in Georgia.

Eleven-year-old Omari Grant told reporters that he and his friends often played in the wooded area behind their subdivision and it had never been a problem in the past. However, as the young boys began building a fort in the trees, a resident from the neighboring subdivision made a call to 911 to report the activity in which the boys were engaged.

“There were falling hazards, tripping hazards, all types of hazards, so number one was concern for the children and concern for the environment,” Edgar Dillard, whose wife made the 911 call, explained.

Henry County police officers responded to the call and, for reasons which have yet to be explained, at least one officer drew his gun and pointed it at the children as they were ordered to the ground. The children were then treated like common criminals, forced to lie face down with their legs spread while the officers cleared the fort-building scene.

Omari’s mother, Janice Baptiste, said her son was traumatized by the entire incident, which she, being slightly humored, described that the children were being treated “as if they were robbing a store.” When Omari was walked home by the officer all he could say while crying was, “Mom, he had a gun in my face, he had a gun in my face.”

Even Dillard, whose own wife put in the call to the police, was shocked that the officers had pulled a gun on the children, regardless of the environmental hazards the children were creating at the time.

Baptiste filed an excessive force complaint with the police department and an investigation is now being conducted.

“If it was justified then we’ll deal with it, if it wasn’t we’ll address it as well,” said Sgt. Joey Smith with the Henry County Police Department, a father himself who admitted to reporters that he could understand why the boys’ parents would be upset.

And although Omari realizes it probably wasn’t the best idea to be cutting the branches off of the trees, he also has a different opinion of those who were sworn to serve and protect him.

“I learned that they’re supposed to help you not make you feel scared to even come outside,” the boy said, adding, “I was thinking that I don’t want to be shot today, so I just listened to what they said.”

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    dont know the circumstances, but short of the officer believing the kid had a weapon I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd have to draw on a fifth grader.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Fifth-graders held at gunpoint by cops over building a treehouse (VIDEO)

NO video of this happening. BABYMAMA wants a check!

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Other than the cops most likely being retarded, is it really necessary to call the cops because you see falling and tripping hazards? They're fifth graders, they're supposed to be doing that ****.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Other than the cops most likely being retarded, is it really necessary to call the cops because you see falling and tripping hazards? They're fifth graders, they're supposed to be doing that ****.

Beyond that, they called 911. O_o

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Well, you see, these kids are cutting branches on the trees."

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Not in this utopian society we live in now! Kids aren't supposed to do spontaneous kid stuff anymore; that is unless it includes roaming around in mobs and wrecking stores, gas station, sucker punching people, rioting, stealing, beating people up for dissin, and the multitudes of other youthful indiscretions that get the, "well, they can't be held responsible; it's not their fault! It's what they do!" responses.

Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    Yea, my mom wouldn't of called the cops, she would of came outside and started yelling at us herself, even if I wasnt there and it was other neighborhood kids. She still would of yelled at them herself. Why would anyone call the police on 11 yr olds playing in the woods?

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    People should really keep the 911 lines free for when they forget to put the fries in your bag with your burger.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    *I learned that they’re supposed to help you not make you feel scared to even come outside,* the boy said, adding, *I was thinking that I don’t want to be shot today, so I just listened to what they said.*

Hmm. I'll just say that's a rather peculiar thing for the average 5th grader to say on his own, without being a little "coached up". Sounds like something an adult would say, that's all....:dunno:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    When I was a kid, a cop would unholster, hold his service weapon and let kids take a look at it. Its good to see that some things haven't changed.....oh, wait.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    *There were falling hazards, tripping hazards, all types of hazards, so number one was concern for the children and concern for the environment,* Edgar Dillard, whose wife made the 911 call, explained.

Hell, sounds like a fun place. Now days, seems parents should bubble wrap their kids, and prevent any risky behavior. They should also be prosecuted by the city, as I am sure they did not have a permit for the tree house.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Fifth graders at gun point automatically linking school and guns, how about-kids building a treehouse, but who cares about accuracy.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    "Not in this utopian society we live in now! Kids aren't supposed to do spontaneous kid stuff anymore; that is unless it includes roaming around in mobs and wrecking stores, gas station, sucker punching people, rioting, stealing, beating people up for dissin, and the multitudes of other youthful indiscretions that get the, "well, they can't be held responsible; it's not their fault! It's what they do!" responses."
    This is the problem..our society does not allow our kids to be kids like we were in the past. Because of that they get bored and watch TV and play games with lots of beating up people and shootin and stuff along those lines-oh yeah, driving like asshats too. Anyway its the parents that I blame for not letting the kids be creative. Hell, in our neighborhood we had 4 treehouses and a few of us fell and got broken arms, sprained ankles, bruises and all kind of scratches..we went to our docs/hospitals and had a story to tell for the rest of our lives. We still laugh at that **** we did back then. Parenting is the problem more than anything else.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I'll probably never hear the end of it if my daughter breaks something (and my fiancée is a damn nurse for a pediatric orthopedic surgeon), but I still let her do just about anything that won't kill her. Life isn't enjoyable as a kid with no risks, and as was said, it's far better than sitting around watching TV, playing computer games, or starting the thug life. I think the complainer was just trying to justify being a bitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom