Finally getting started!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    Finally getting everything put together and trying to make sure I have a good crimp. Looking for a light roll crimp on a .38 special. Do either of these look ok?
    reload crimp.jpg

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    The crimp is there to hold the bullet in place during recoil. I go with the smallest about of crimp I can get away with. It just depends on how hot your loads are going to be. The ones in the pic are ok but you might get away with less. Also the harder you work the brass by putting a heavy crimp the shorter the life span of the brass not to mention it can affect accuracy in a big way.

OAL can be shorter or longer if your gun will allow it. Just remember when you shorten the OAL (push the bullet farther into the case) you raise the pressure. So again it depends on how hot your loads are. If your just starting out you shouldn't be loading to the book max. Start out a few tenths above minimum take them out and shoot them. Get to know your equipment and procedures before you start experimenting. Reloading is fun and it's very satisfying but you have to remember it's up to you to keep it safe.

Last edited:

Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    Just starting so will not be hot at all. The length, compared to other factory ammo that I have, is a little shorter ...3/128" hardly anything. But compared to what Lyman says my load is .015 longer. When going into hundredths how important is it?

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    I would crimp according to what the book says. Get a chrony and test. A couple of hundreds of an inch will make a difference. Going longer typically will not pose a pressure issue because it decreases pressure. The potential issue with going longer would be magazine restrictions. Also pay attention to bullet design. One bullet might seat farther into the case than another (heavier bullets). In which case you would use less powder anyway because of the heavier bullet.

Get a chrony. Test. Start low. Inspect your brass after you shoot. If you go slow enough you should see pressure issues with flattened primers first.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Agreed, Your crimp seems a bit excessive, Lighten up a bit like FRT said, You did not state what gun this is for ?

The crimp is there to hold the bullet in place during recoil. I go with the smallest about of crimp I can get away with. It just depends on how hot your loads are going to be. The ones in the pic are ok but you might get away with less. Also the harder you work the brass by putting a heavy crimp the shorter the life span of the brass not to mention it can affect accuracy in a big way.

OAL can be shorter or longer if your gun will allow it. Just remember when you shorten the OAL (push the bullet farther into the case) you raise the pressure. So again it depends on how hot your loads are. If your just starting out you shouldn't be loading to the book max. Start out a few tenths above minimum take them out and shoot them. Get to know your equipment and procedures before you start experimenting. Reloading is fun and it's very satisfying but you have to remember it's up to you to keep it safe.

Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    S&W 38 special 642. I'll lighten up on the crimp. I'll load a few and go to the range tomorrow. Right now I'm trying to get this lee primer back together. First time I use it and a primer gets stuck, try to take apart to get it out and now can't get it back together the right way. The bullet can't be set in any more than it already is, maybe it's the brass but I can't see all of them being too short. I measured a few of them. Thanks for the info!!

http://www.reloadingforbeginners.com/primer-feeder-pictures.aspx

If ever you need to know how it comes apart to clean or primer gets stuck

Last edited:
    Top Bottom