Firearm Legislation and Trump

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    In the event that suppressor ownership becomes legalized in the sense that it is no longer part of the same annoying NFA application process, do any of you have any opinions on how this would affect the market for suppressors? Obviously it would be a safe assumption to say the sale would be "yuuugggee," but do you think the prices of suppressors will finally drop to more reasonable levels?

Suppressors are fun, and you have to pay to play, but it really hurts seeing an extruded tube with stamped baffles for $1000.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    In the event that suppressor ownership becomes legalized in the sense that it is no longer part of the same annoying NFA application process, do any of you have any opinions on how this would affect the market for suppressors? Obviously it would be a safe assumption to say the sale would be "yuuugggee," but do you think the prices of suppressors will finally drop to more reasonable levels?

Suppressors are fun, and you have to pay to play, but it really hurts seeing an extruded tube with stamped baffles for $1000.

I could see more players getting into the suppressor manufacturing business after demand increases. But I see homemade suppressor making spiking I know I would make one if I didn't need permission.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Getting the HPA passed is going to be difficult, but not impossible. There is a CDC report where they recommended the use of suppressors to reduce noise exposure. This is actually a big bullet in the chamber to assist passage of the bill.
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/wp-solutions/2013-104/pdfs/2013-104.pdf

One of my firearm podcasts mentioned that in New Zealand suppressors are in bubble packs behind the counter and are treated as a non-regulated accessory. Fact is there you are encouraged to suppress your firearm to be a good neighbor. Deal with those is that they are not built all that well and don't last long. That is something that the market will figure out. As it is now when you transfer a suppressor you expect it to last forever as you don't want to go through the process again. Take it completely off the books and every Billy Bob will be making them and some of them will be complete junk. My take is that we will end up somewhere in the middle. Fill out a 4473 and take it home. Here the market will adjust to a lower price level yet still have a quality product. May not last forever but should still be serviceable for many years.

So a 15 second Google search found this New Zealand gun shop with his suppressor prices.
    http://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/category/suppressors
    Even did the NZD to USD conversions for you.
    The .22 suppressor - $70.77
    The centerfire suppressors - $212.34 to $268.96

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Even did the NZD to USD conversions for you.
    The .22 suppressor - $70.77
    The centerfire suppressors - $212.34 to $268.96

:eek3:

With the amount of suppressors out there that do not reliably reduce noise to a safe level without drastically changing a firearms function, I'm surprised we even have to explain to the libtards that suppressors don't actually go "pew pew" like Hollywood depicts.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    :eek3:

With the amount of suppressors out there that do not reliably reduce noise to a safe level without drastically changing a firearms function, I'm surprised we even have to explain to the libtards that suppressors don't actually go "pew pew" like Hollywood depicts.

You are asking libtards to think for themselves and know slightly more than jack $hit about the world around them?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You are asking libtards to think for themselves and know slightly more than jack $hit about the world around them?

Once upon a time, when I was a wee lad in college, I enrolled in a "Speech" class as part of my curriculum. As part of our assignments, we were to give a persuasive speech and if we could convince the majority of the class, we would receive an A. I decided to be ballsy and give a persuasive speech on "Legalizing Suppressors for Practical Usage." We were allotted a specific time period for the speech and another time period for Q&A. To the best of my ability, I tried to persuade the self-proclaimed Liberal members of my class and luckily did. Although there were many questions, there were zero compromises. Not a single Anti had a clue as to the burden we face when acquiring NFA items. Needless to say, they all thought suppressors truly made a "pew" noise, that they could be bought over the counter at any gun shop without a background check, and that they were illegal (which contradicts that they think they can be bought over the counter :ugh:) Luckily, I received an A because I convinced the class instructor, who deemed it unfair for them to disagree with me due to their political parties views on gun control even when given adequate evidence that their beliefs were wrong from the beginning.

So to answer your question: No, I do not think they can think for themselves, but I'll do everything in my power to feel the satisfaction of proving them wrong and seeing their sweet tears of defeat.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Obviously getting this passed even under the new admin is not going to be an instant thing. SO... in the mean time I had a question. Could Trump deem that the fee for suppressors was now only $5 (same as an AOW?). Can he expedite the paperwork so it goes through faster (say anyone that has had a FBI background check in the last 5 years is approved)? Or is all of this spelled out in law rather than in ATF guidelines?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    In addition to national carry reciprocity, or perhaps even constitutional carry, I'd love to see a repeal of the Hughes Amendment.

I know, I know, wishful thinking, but there's a lot of ideologues in congress these days and it is an infringement.

The Supreme Court nominee issue is key here, more important than anything else. That one appointment he gets is tremendous, plus any more are icing on the cake.

Remember Trump has been the only Republican candidate to specifically raise issues like national carry reciprocity, gun-free zones including military bases, and so on. Every other RINO candidate has been more of an avid hunter and that's about it.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    .. I'd love to see a repeal of the Hughes Amendment.
    I've been calling this the Hail Mary pass. Chances are low for success but every so often it works.

Before we go after the Hughes Amendment I'd like to see how the Hearing Protection Act fairs. If it is signed as presented or cans become just a 4473 and NICS check then there is a chance to at least amend the Hughes Amendment. Instead of a outright ban on new units a baby step is a limited number of new units may become available for transfer. Think of it as a lottery where you fill out the paperwork and pay the tax. Numbers are drawn and the lucky winners get their transfer. Kinda like how some states do big game tags.

Top Bottom