Firearms training..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Jeffersonville, In
    I and my family are going to be moving to Louisiana soon, and I have an Indiana (still valid, but I'm no longer a In resident) license to carry a handgun, but I moved to Virginia, where it is not recognized. I am veteran, with a DD214 showing marksmanship training. Is this proof enough for Louisiana to apply for a carry permit/license? I realize I could google-fu all this but pressed for time right now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    In addition to meeting the qualifications in R.S. 40:1379.3(C), an applicant must demonstrate competence with a handgun by completion of an approved firearms safety or training course taught by an NRA or P.O.S.T. certified instructor that is registered with State Police, or completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file], or possession of a current valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a parish law enforcement officer.

But you will also need to be a citizen of LA for 6 mos prior

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    MrSmitty:

If more than five years have lapsed since you got your military training, your DD214 is not going to suffice. In such a case you'll have too take a class, just like everybody else.

1.New handgun training requirements. [R.S. 40:1379.3(D)(1)(a),(b),(c),(e),(g)]

a.Completion of any National Rifle Association handguns safety or training course conducted by a National Rifle Association certified instructor within the preceding twelve months.

b.Completion of any Department of Public Safety and Corrections approved firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school within the preceding twelve months.

c.Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections and offered for correctional officers, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement within the preceding twelve months (note: training for security guards was removed)

d.Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections within the preceding twelve months.

e.Completion of small arms training within the preceding sixty months while serving with the armed forces of the United States...

Last edited:

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I and my family are going to be moving to Louisiana soon, and I have an Indiana (still valid, but I'm no longer a In resident) license to carry a handgun, but I moved to Virginia, where it is not recognized. I am veteran, with a DD214 showing marksmanship training. Is this proof enough for Louisiana to apply for a carry permit/license? I realize I could google-fu all this but pressed for time right now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good advice from the knowledgeable folks here. You can also contact the State Police for the latest. They are very helpfu.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom