Firemen and steroids

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdalton

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Had a good discussion with a friend in the firedept. Not saying which one. About firemen using steriods. Personally, i want the man dragging me and my family to be as strong as possible. What are some thoughts on this?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I would also rather every officer coming to help me look like an NFL player but it's illegal. I'm no doctor but I'm sure there are reasons

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Nothing screams "public safety" quite like Roid Rage! :-)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NOT only Fireman are addicted to them though I have plenty of friends who are of "service" who need that extra strenght as well ...........

It is what it is you are required to be a super hero for 12-16hr shifts and then expected to do it again tomorrow

I dont endorse it but at the same time I understand it

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    They have PLENTY of time to get strong and healthy. No reason to cheat with Roids which indeed gives results but also COST you health issues in the long run. So is it really Beneficial? I say no.

I do some training with Ft. Polk's South Fort Fire Crew sometimes. Most of them are Big, not freaks though. More like NFL type. They also have ransom drug screenings and I personally know the Chief. I'd be willing to bet none of them are on Roids.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    It is what it is you are required to be a super hero for 12-16hr shifts and then expected to do it again tomorrow

This x 1000....

Don't condone it personally, but completely understand why they do it....

But like Hitman said, the long-term health affects can be devastating...

Is there a "benefit" to it? Yes.....but is the benefit worth the inevitable consequences?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I know it's about fire fighters, but I would think it would apply to LEO as well in that context. I'm a smaller individual, 5'10 175lbs, and would never claim to be a "badass" but i know I can hold my own out there. Is all about training, and knowledge. I've taken down and detained people much larger than myself. One thing about getting that big, is losing a large amount of flexibility. Its not too difficult to put a larger individual into compliance with different holds, such as a rear wrist lock, as their joints reach the end of their "stretch point" and becomes extremely painful for them to resist. Also, being smaller, it's easier to wiggle out of the hold of a juice head. I would never look to steroids as an option, but the intimidation factor would be a plus.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Being big does not mean being unflexible. Make no mistake there is no replacement for displacement. Strong is strong and beware of the bum rush.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Had a good discussion with a friend in the firedept. Not saying which one. About firemen using steriods. Personally, i want the man dragging me and my family to be as strong as possible. What are some thoughts on this?

My thoughts are that I think that steroids are just another path to being big. Not necessarily being strong. Off-cycle sucks. Maybe they fight fires on a 10 week rotation plan, lol

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I know it's about fire fighters, but I would think it would apply to LEO as well in that context. I'm a smaller individual, 5'10 175lbs, and would never claim to be a "badass" but i know I can hold my own out there. Is all about training, and knowledge. I've taken down and detained people much larger than myself. One thing about getting that big, is losing a large amount of flexibility. Its not too difficult to put a larger individual into compliance with different holds, such as a rear wrist lock, as their joints reach the end of their "stretch point" and becomes extremely painful for them to resist. Also, being smaller, it's easier to wiggle out of the hold of a juice head. I would never look to steroids as an option, but the intimidation factor would be a plus.

In my experience big people just hit harder. Being big doesn't cost a dime's worth of flexibility. Not stretching does.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    NOT only Fireman are addicted to them though I have plenty of friends who are of "service" who need that extra strenght as well ...........

Steroids are not necessary. I never understood why people thought they were. Yes, a lot of the fire-fighters where I live juice. Same for the cops. However, a lot of them also don't, and they still perform their jobs admirably. Steroids are a mixed bag. The muscle hypertrophies, but tendon and ligament attachment is not strengthened proportionately. The results are a lot more injuries, as well as the cardiovascular complications and hepatic issues that can also arise.
    They have PLENTY of time to get strong and healthy. No reason to cheat with Roids which indeed gives results but also COST you health issues in the long run. So is it really Beneficial? I say no.

I do some training with Ft. Polk's South Fort Fire Crew sometimes. Most of them are Big, not freaks though. More like NFL type. They also have ransom drug screenings and I personally know the Chief. I'd be willing to bet none of them are on Roids.

'roids don't show up on regular screens. It's about a $1500 test from what I have heard, and only sports organizations utilize it that I am aware.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My thoughts about steroids and firemen? I don't care. It's their life let them do with it what they want.

Dave

+1, but using their job to justify it is weak. If they want to do it "I want to do it" is a more direct and sensible justification. I'm with you. Their body, not mine.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    In my experience big people just hit harder. Being big doesn't cost a dime's worth of flexibility. Not stretching does.

This was what I was trying to say. Im fairly large and I Yoga Twice a day and I laugh at Police Academy Control Holds.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i dont care if they do it, it's their choice what goes in their body... but dont come crying to taxpayers when their health is affected by the steroids...

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    As a retired Fireman with over 30 years, I never did Steroids, but did try to remain in shape, going from rest to full out on a call, handling heavy gear and equipment at a moments notice was bad enough to add in the heat of major fire incident. Rescue situations have guys going above and beyon their bodies limits. What caused many injuries was medical assit with ambulance crews to lift 300 - 400 LB + paients to get them to medical facilities.

As I made Captain and then Deputy Chief, desk time for reports and computer work, occupied my time where physical activity was less and took its toll...not to mention I like to eat!

I suffer with knees, neck and back pains...but I continue to push to remain mobile.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    As a retired Fireman with over 30 years, I never did Steroids, but did try to remain in shape, going from rest to full out on a call, handling heavy gear and equipment at a moments notice was bad enough to add in the heat of major fire incident. Rescue situations have guys going above and beyon their bodies limits. What caused many injuries was medical assit with ambulance crews to lift 300 - 400 LB + paients to get them to medical facilities.

As I made Captain and then Deputy Chief, desk time for reports and computer work, occupied my time where physical activity was less and took its toll...not to mention I like to eat!

I suffer with knees, neck and back pains...but I continue to push to remain mobile.

No kidding. That kills me. They don't get any lighter and there are a LOT less people around to help once you GET those people to the facility.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This was what I was trying to say. Im fairly large and I Yoga Twice a day and I laugh at Police Academy Control Holds.

Yep, arguing about agility is just the false bravado of a smaller man. It has nothing to do with mass and everything to do with training.

Point and case:

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg

I don't. You must not understand how much FFs don't do. There's not a fire every shift, and extrication of a person from a vehicle doesn't really require super strength. Helping EMS lift the large patients sure as hell don't require... we can get a big'en up with 4 people total. Steroids in fire are just like steroids in anything else, its for personal gain. The effects on the heart actually put them at a disadvantage because of exertion they may do in a fire... and drop dead afterwards. If anything cardio and endurance is needed more than brute strength.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom