first 45 cal. pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jorawil

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    B.R.,La.
    I have a few pistols but none are 45 cal. I am looking to buy my first. I am undecided on a 1911 or the new springfield 45 xdm 3". I don't really want a full size 1911. I have looked at the kimbers and springfield 1911's and like both. I really like the kimbers. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
    jorawil

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    What do you want it for? EDC or a range toy? If for EDC id say get the XDm. I shot one in 9mm this weekend(along with the Garand and a Mosin) and was very impressed with it. It has been added to my list of weapons to purchase. I also have the 1911 and love it. I would recommend against the new Kimber's due to a recent decline in quality. im sure there is someone who will let you get some range time behind their weapon. My 1911 has been modified for competition, o it wont be a great example of the stock Springfield. If you just want a range toy, the Taurus 1911's are actually good for the price.

Hope i helped.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    My buddy recently bought a rock island armory 1911 .45 you can find one around 400 if you look around budsguns had a good price on them. I am not sure of anyones elses experience with them (granted mine was just a couple of range trips with my buddy) but it seemed like a sturdy and well built pistol not to mention it shot like a dream.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    My buddy recently bought a rock island armory 1911 .45 you can find one around 400 if you look around budsguns had a good price on them. I am not sure of anyones elses experience with them (granted mine was just a couple of range trips with my buddy) but it seemed like a sturdy and well built pistol not to mention it shot like a dream.

Good value for a completely vanilla, entry level 1911.

But he expressly said he didn't want a FS 1911. ;)

Whatever you do, don't end up with a 3" 1911. A 4" on an Officer frame is just as portable and easy to conceal, without the nasty issues inherent to 3" 1911's chambered in .45 ACP. It'll also be more enjoyable for you to shoot.

Any focused and informed suggestion would require a bit more info from you. What are you looking to spend? Are you averse to anything? Are you against anything full sized-- or just a 1911?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What's your budget? That will make the decision easier, bc the xdm is around 600 so a 600 dollar 1911 would get u a mil spec Springfield, a Bunch of different used 1911s etc, a sig 220 can be had for around there used. Other options that werent stated was a usp 45 full size, m&p45, and ruger p345. There's so many options, you may wanna see what others have, shoot them and find out what you like best. I have a 4 inch Springfield 1911 that I like a lot, and never gave me problems.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    You won't go wrong with a Glock 21, S&W MP.45, or a Springfield XD .45

If you choose between those three, you cannot make a bad choice. Just pick the one that feels best in your hand.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It depends on budget

I would DEF look into a GLOCK hard to go wrong with those, M&P45c is also a nice weapon IMO.

1911's are nice to have but I have reassons to believe they WONT stack up against a new combat weapon system. THey are the most accuate machines though so take the good with the bad and make a smart decition based on needs.

HK also puts out AWESOME products if your budget allows it

Last edited:

jorawil

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    B.R.,La.
    Thanks for all the replies. I had B.J. pawn order me a xdm 45 cal. 3.8 . I decided I will also buy a 1911 in the next couple of months. I am partial to springfields, possibly 4" or full size. I am also willing to spend between 1000 and 1500. I think that anybody with guns should own a 1911.
    Thanks,
    Jorawil

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    But you were not Old School Military and brainwashed about the awesome power of the mighty .45 ACP. :D

Yet I carry a .45! :ninja:

The 1911 is a great firearm, on many levels. JMB knew what he was doing when he designed it-- over 100 years ago. These days, there's just too many options I favor.

The same tight tolerances that make them such great shooters can make them quite finicky as well. Especially in a gun that gets shot as much as I like. But because of their prolific presence in competition shooting, I see them choke way too often for my tastes-- even tuned to optimum levels and running hand loads that I *know* are carefully put together and specced.

It's also MHO that they are definitely not suited to the vast majority of the people who carry them for SD or use them as bedside guns. Even a malfunction that a simple tap-rack would solve seems to freeze such folks up as they try to figure out the problem. Even more importantly, the manual of arms with the thumb safety alone takes quite a bit of practice-- work that very few folks are willing to put in. If I did carry one regularly, I'd also pin the grip safety, as did all of those Rangers back in the day. Mention that to your average 1911 owner these days and they look at you like you've just sprouted horns.

I do however share Steve's old school reverence for the .45 as a chambering. The timer (and recently, an outlaw IDPA event) showed me that I can run my pistol of choice close enough to 9mm options that I just favor the bigger holes. Some recent reading and discussion with ME's and other folks who've seen a lot of wounds reinforces my preference. Heck-- the heavy "push" of the rounds actually favors my shooting style, and I find the sights track ridiculously well for me, especially with the +p loads that I carry.

All of that said, I *do* carry a 1911 a select few days out of the year, when I'm visting the parents in Florida. And I drill the living **** out of the drawstroke, spend retarded amounts of cash on live fire while I'm in town, and recently invested quite a bit of time, effort and cash to get it fitting my hands the way that I prefer. In essence, if that's my best available option, I certainly don't feel out of place! I just prefer another platform. :D

Top Bottom