First AR15 Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmill80

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    I will be building my first AR, I will be using a plum crazy c-15 complete lower. What uppers are good matches? Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Before you start getting the question asked of you over and over again you need to let people know what you are using it for. Range toy, long range shooter, hunting, etc. Have you already bought the Plum Crazy? If you have not then might I suggest another, non-polymer lower and adding the upper being sold by Bearco below. How awesome would it be to have a 300 AAC Blackout upper? It would be f'ing awesome. I am just saying it would be pretty cool. If not then try BCM or PSA. I am sure you could find one on here.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-300-Blackout-Upper-with-mid-length-quad-rail

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Here is my setup. It is a BCM 14.5" with pinned flash hider on a Plum Crazy lower. It has a Mapul handguard, modified Magpul AFG to fit directly on the Magpul handguard, Magpul MBUS, and a UTG red/green dot. I chose the Plum Crazy so that it would be really light. Good luck and be prepared to become obsessed. It will never be perfect and you will want to always upgrade. I love it.

bd29df53.jpg

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I've been doing a lot of research for the same thing lately, and I will be going with a PSA upper in the near future. They use quality barrels, quality parts, and have been getting lots of good reviews for ARs and customer service. You could give them a call and they will detail all the parts they use. Might want to start here, http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-complete-uppers.php. I think they are pretty hard to beat right now if you are on a budget. Good luck

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Palmetto State is definitely good quality stuff. However, my personal opinion is that you would be better off getting a $350 special from JSE and putting the extra $100+ towards ammo. The JSE uppers work. You're not going to war with it. You can always sell it and buy something else after you get some range time to decide exactly what you want.

rmill80

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    I was just looking at JSE they have some pretty good prices and good selection. I wanted to go with 16" but saw they have 18". I already have an ak and was thinking maybe i should build this for a lttle more distance. Also if i do go with 16" flat top what is advantage/disadvantage of having the front sight at end of gas tube? If i get an upper that already has sight, can it be removed later?

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I already have an ak and was thinking maybe i should build this for a lttle more distance.
    That changes things. If you want a long range shooter, White Oak Armament barrels get really good reviews. Also, if you want a precision rifle, the .223 wylde chamber will still allow you to shoot 5.56 nato ammo, but should produce better results with match ammo.

As for your other questions. . . The short answer is that AR's are like legos and any part can be replaced, by you, for something you like better. There is tons of info on the net about why people set up guns a particular way, but there is no right answer. Check out this thread, it'll give you an idea of what it takes to modify different parts of the gun.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569877

Top Bottom