First Attempt Cutting Foam In Pelican Case

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    So, I got a sweet 1720 Pelican case and figured I would try to do the Foam cutout. I traced with Chalk and then used a electric carving knife.

It came out OK. It for sure serves its purpose, but I would rather have pluck foam.

<3 my HK.

9eb4e6b1271f40530552602436f5f804_zps024b11aa.jpg

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So, I got a sweet 1720 Pelican case and figured I would try to do the Foam cutout. I traced with Chalk and then used a electric carving knife.

It came out OK. It for sure serves its purpose, but I would rather have pluck foam.

<3 my HK.

9eb4e6b1271f40530552602436f5f804_zps024b11aa.jpg

Looks good! probably better than I would have done.

I need to do this to my Pelican 1560 with my handguns.

More foam here if you need it
    http://www.foambymail.com/

Last edited:

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    Looks like you did a fine job to me! No experience with foam cases here. Is there 2 layers of foam in the bottom of the case in which you make complete cutouts in the top layer? I've been wanting to make a handgun case but worry about cutting the needed depths in the foam.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    You did really well compared to some of the disasters I have seen out there. I have seen the "hot wire knife" cut a little smoother and better edges. You can get one at most hobby/craft shops or make one yourself with a car battery and wire they say. I think I would just buy something myself!!! lol

Rooda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Dallas via Bunkie
    Looks good. I remember the frustration when I cut mine. The picture in your head is perfect but it is so damn hard to make the edges right and the lines perfectly strait.
    Anywho, nice gun and nice case. Looks good from here.

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    Looks like you did a fine job to me! No experience with foam cases here. Is there 2 layers of foam in the bottom of the case in which you make complete cutouts in the top layer? I've been wanting to make a handgun case but worry about cutting the needed depths in the foam.

You cutout the middle layer. So there is a top and bottom layer you dont mess with. This is how they fit so well.

I dont know of many cases that rreally close tight so things dont slide around. the cheap ones suck thats for sure

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Why? Is it because the foam may deteriorate and damage the firearm? I had this happen to a very old foam case, but no idea what the foam was made of back then.

Foam collects moisture and can cause rust. Been there, done that. Pelican uses a closed-cell foam, but I wonder how cutting it affects this.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Foam collects moisture and can cause rust. Been there, done that. Pelican uses a closed-cell foam, but I wonder how cutting it affects this.

Yeah. You should the case for transportation only. Once home you should either take the rifle out of the case or leave the case open.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

I've sprayed a thin layer of gun lubricant on my foam and also line my entire pelican with silica gel packets. no issues yet! I've had it that way for almost 2 years now.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    You cutout the middle layer. So there is a top and bottom layer you dont mess with. This is how they fit so well.

I dont know of many cases that rreally close tight so things dont slide around. the cheap ones suck thats for sure

Additionally, to get your gun and accessories to the correct height, take the part you cut out and slice it to the height needed to raise the gun. Stick it back in the cut out and you're GTG.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    anyone tried using a hot knife to cut the foam? i think it would give a lot smoother cut.

I made a hot wire cutter for another project with a doorbell transformer, dimmer switch, and steel fishing leader. I traced everything out with a chalk pencil and stabbed the foam with a knife for a starter hole. It's time consuming because you have to unhooking your wire on the cutter and rehooking for every hole, but it does a much better job. If I remember I'll try to get some pics tomorrow night.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico

Open cell foam collects moisture and contributes to rust, this is why pelican and all the other big name cases use closed cell foam. You "shouldnt" have any issues with a pelicna case and storage. I put quotes around the shouldnt because most of us live in south louisiana where the moisture is worse than normal places, please keep that in mind and throw some silica packets in there and if you can just take the gun out of the case in put it in the safe.

Top Bottom