First Deer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I came to deer hunting late, this is only the 3rd year I've gone and it's been a ton of fun, but hadn't had any luck. Finally got my first deer this weekend, a few days after hitting the ripe old age of 31. Just a small 5pt buck, I know most hunters would let this one walk, and I probably will in the future, but after all the effort for years I wanted a deer!

IMG_20141129_072437_876_zpsvj5ydki2.jpg

view from the stand, can just see him to the left of a tree in center of frame. Right about 100yds

IMG_20141129_073658_986_zpsrzezqmxd.jpg

1 shot and immediate drop, rifle is a CVA Elite Stalker in 35 Whelen, Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC scope

IMG_20141129_174100_574_zpswxjwcd01.jpg

Recovered Barnes 180gr TSX bullet, G42 for scale. I was amazed at how well this round performed and the damage it caused. It just stopped in the hide on the backside of the ribs, still blew about a 1" hole on the back

Anybody got any recipes to share? gonna make and smoke some sausage on my next off weekend.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Congratulations!

And I'll tell you this much about deer hunting: If it's a trophy to the hunter, it's a trophy to me. That's a fine kill, in my book- you did well! :cheers:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I came to deer hunting late, this is only the 3rd year I've gone and it's been a ton of fun, but hadn't had any luck. Finally got my first deer this weekend, a few days after hitting the ripe old age of 31. Just a small 5pt buck, I know most hunters would let this one walk, and I probably will in the future, but after all the effort for years I wanted a deer!

IMG_20141129_072437_876_zpsvj5ydki2.jpg

view from the stand, can just see him to the left of a tree in center of frame. Right about 100yds

IMG_20141129_073658_986_zpsrzezqmxd.jpg

1 shot and immediate drop, rifle is a CVA Elite Stalker in 35 Whelen, Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC scope

Hey Topgunz! Anyone ever tell you, you look like a young Brian Dennehy? :mamoru:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    My thoughts are shoot what makes you happy. I dont hunt for the horns (it is nice if you do kill a big one). if you have landowners around you that manage follow there lead and manage also. Congrats on your first deer and barnes makes some great bullets. looking forward to taking my boys and the wife hunting this later month.

snot rod

Hot Rodder Extraordinair
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    St. Amant
    Congrats on the kill. I am 35 and never been on a deer hunt. Just this year I started thinking I may need to get into hunting. That way my son and I could have something to do.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I wish I could go more, the land is owned by my best friend's grandfather and is 2 hours away. It's not a problem for us to go, but my friend had his first baby just about 2 months ago, so he isn't getting any yard passes! We -may- get one more weekend this year. Maybe.

Nick: it's a great time! Even the long cold weekends not seeing a thing, it's still refreshing to get out in the woods, turn the phone off, and relax. I'm sure somebody on here could mentor you, my friend's only had a few more years experience than me, but it always helps to have someone whose been there to guide you.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wish I could go more, the land is owned by my best friend's grandfather and is 2 hours away. It's not a problem for us to go, but my friend had his first baby just about 2 months ago, so he isn't getting any yard passes! We -may- get one more weekend this year. Maybe.

Nick: it's a great time! Even the long cold weekends not seeing a thing, it's still refreshing to get out in the woods, turn the phone off, and relax. I'm sure somebody on here could mentor you, my friend's only had a few more years experience than me, but it always helps to have someone whose been there to guide you.

Go shoot Janet & Freddy's deer. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom