First diesel: '05 F250 Crew Cab

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    If you have had all of those mods done I'd bet that the studs have been changed out already....On the plus side, its an 05 and not an 04 when they first came out....the early ones were the worst of all the 6.0s. Hopefully the previous owner knew what he was doing. If he did you might be lucky. I know some guys who have had no problems at all and ALL of them did NOT put a tuner on them. Yes, these are very expensive to repair...almost as much as the newer 6.4, which to me is an even worse engine than the 6.0 and this coming from a lifelong Ford lover. Personally I have a 2000 7.3 Crew Cab Long bed--big bastid--and can't say enough good about these engines. My PRIMARY source for information on any Ford diesel is dieselstop.com. They have helped me in all of my repairs/maintenance issues/questions after posting on the forums...a lot like folks here on BS. I was kinda scared to work on mine because it was so different from any gas burner I had and that site made the transition real easy and can actually talk "diesel speak" now.
    Good luck with the truck. Putting the engine issues aside, they are great riding and hauling trucks, comfortable enough for a long road trip with or without a load too.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I heard of a guy with a 6.0 and it was gonna cost him $6-7K to fix it and they were gonna have to lift the cab. He debated and traded it. But, maybe yours is good to go and I feel not everyone has had a serious issue.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    I have an '06 F250 with the 6.0, I have about 110,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it and never did any upgrades.

They are not all bad. Problem is all you hear about is the bad ones and it gets blown way out of proportion.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have an '06 F250 with the 6.0, I have about 110,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it and never did any upgrades.

They are not all bad. Problem is all you hear about is the bad ones and it gets blown way out of proportion.

From what I experienced trying to sell them, it's not blown out of proportion. Lots of oil/pipe crews complained about them shitting the bed in droves. They all came looking for used 7.3's, which sold for a premium.

LeftyDiego

Lefty Diego
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    West of the Pecos
    2003 6.0, 150,000 miles. The only engine problems I have had are injectors. 4 replaced under warranty, 4 not. I will agree that the 6.0 had some major issues. I have been lucky to have no major issues in the early production 6.0. If i remember correctly Ford made some running changes during 6.0 production and the reliability improved. That being said, I would not buy a used 6.0, especially one that has has been modded. My 6.0 is 100% OEM and runs damn good. I have had to put some big $$$ in the front end though.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Robbiepkks, is that from your computer or did you had calculate it??? I know lots of people with 7.3s and none of them get that kind of highway mileage. I get 18 on average combination driving and occasionally get 20 on highway driving. I've got a Superchips tuner and keep it on tow/performance. Best highway mileage I've heard of is 22 on our vehicles with the 7.3. Tell me what your doing to get that so we can get it too!!! All mileage stated is hand calculated BTW.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Here's my list
    Tripod gauges - helps to watch your temps.
    Hypertech programer - stage 2
    Diesel 911 added every other tank and also let the water out of the bowl
    K&N air filter
    Bigger exhaust
    My truck is not lifted either, I'm running the stock 16" tires load range E
    Also I try to keep it around 2k rpm's - that really helps

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Well, I don't know what gears you have but I also try to keep it at 2K and at that rpm, I'm running about 68mph. I have the AIS filter set up and while I feel it gives the ultimate protection, some may argue that it doesn't breath as well as some of the open systems out there. I use a mixture of 8 oz.DieselKleen,6oz Lucas fuel treatment and 6 oz Marvel mystery oil and add this mixture every other tankful--10 0z for my 38 gallons. Sounds like yours is breathing pretty good and its a good thing you are able to monitor your exhaust temps..Truly a must if you do a bunch of mods on these or any diesel IMO.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom