First IDPA Match - Suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K9小姐

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    NOLA
    I'm looking to go to the IDPA competition in Amite on June 2 and was hoping to get any advice or suggestions from you guys. It will be my first shooting competition ever, so at this point I'm just hoping to not do something stupid and get DQ'd. :hs: Planning to get some limited practice time at the range beforehand. I've looked over the IDPA rules, so I have a basic understanding of how the competition goes.

Anything in particular a newbie should focus on practicing to start out with? Any gear beyond the basics that I will need/could use? Anything I should/shouldn't expect?

Thanks for the help!

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have been to this match many times. Wish I could be there with you!

First of all, bring some sunscreen, water, and plan to get hot. This is more of an IDPA practice match and not really a full blown competition, so the rules are not extremely strict. If you are a newbie just tell them and someone will mentor you through. Safety is really the only rule. Do not handle your weapons at all until it's OK to do so. Even if you see others doing it you might want to check first. I have been chewed out for handling a rifle when it wasn't time (even though others were doing the same).

If you drop your gun you are out. Doesn't matter how it happened.

If you even come close to breaking the 180 degree plane you are out. Doesn't matter the circumstances. Pointing your gun straight up will result in you being out. Up is not safe in IDPA. If you muzzle yourself you might get a warning or you might get tossed.

Best thing you can do is do everything in slow motion. Don't worry about speed. You aren't going to win. It's like playing Battlefield or Call of Duty for the first time. You will be humiliated. Don't worry about it and just have fun.

Feel free to ask me anything else.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Gear wise, don't worry about drawing from concealed. That's the one rule they don't follow at Amite. Any good holster and mag pouches will work. Your pistol must be a normal off the shelf pistol. Race guns and red dots aren't allowed. You can't load more than 10 rounds in your gun so don't worry about high cap mags. You will need two extra mags. I think 25 rounds is the max you will need in one stage though realistically it's more like 17.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Find someone who knows what they're doing and squad with them. Lightning and/or Walt typically make this match; I might be there myself. It's VERY helpful to have someone there in person to guide you, answer specific questions on the fly, etc.

General performance advice--

1st priority is to be safe. Most folks are paranoid about this by default, so you shouldn't have to worry.
    Shoot the points; the speed will come. This is true of all action pistol sports, but more so for IDPA; the penalties are much stiffer for anything outside of the highest scoring zone (-0).
    Don't sweat the goofy rules. There are some funky ones for IDPA, especially when compared to USPSA-- and people tend to focus on the rules themselves and not a specific game plan that will follow them. Get the plan, stick to it, and you won't be breaking the rules by default. (Again-- here's where it helps to have someone there with you who can walk you through each stage.)

Gear--

You can pretty much run what you bring to these, as they're Outlaw and not sanctioned. I'd suggest your carry piece and rig, although in your case, I wouldn't worry about concealment (as Teddy suggested).
    A solid belt is key, and the foundation for any type of rig-- carry, competition or otherwise.
    You won't want a thumb break holster, or anything with retention devices if you an avoid it; a solid kydex unit is your best bet.
    A reasonable double mag pouch isn't hard to come by; if it's got snaps or hook-and-loop retention flaps, you can always pull them or tuck them out of the way.

If you're short on any gear, or unsure about it, there are countless folks who'd be willing to let you run some of theirs.

What do you plan to shoot, what do you plan to use? It's easier to talk specifics than generalities in this regard.

K9小姐

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    NOLA
    I plan to shoot my Kahr K9. I'm working on getting a holster to bring, since I don't currently have a rig that will work. I"m thinking an OWB would be best -?

The 3 mags I have for the K9 are 7 and 8 round. I'm guessing those will work? I need to pick up some mag holsters.

Think I have a solid belt that will work. May just go ahead and get a dedicated shooting belt, though.

Definitely expecting to look fairly ridiculous and take it really slow.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Amite has their USPSA match this Sunday... if you can make it, you should at least drop by to watch, give the safety talk a listen, and ask questions. Then you'll be better prepared for the IDPA match.

K9小姐

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    NOLA
    I can't make the match this weekend. I did watch the Woolmarket 2 Gun this past weekend, though, so I've at least seen one match. Would prefer to be a bit more prepared, but I figure I gotta start somewhere, so I might as well just jump in.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    A 7 round mag will put you behind but it will work. I run my P7M8 or my USP Compact with 8+1 rounds each and it's tough to keep up with the 10+1 round guys because of the way the courses are set up. But you can do it. Like I said, don't worry about winning. Just worry about finishing the match.

I have been using Galco gun belts for years. They work great and you can get them shipped quickly from Midwayusa.com. You will be amazed the difference a legit gun belt will make. You can get a very high quality kydex holster fast from Comptac holsters. With a comptac holster, mag pouches, and galco belt you will be all set to go.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If you're going to pick up a dedicated IDPA/class/hard use belt, check out the Wilderness Tactical line--especially the instructor. I ruined more belts than I could count before I found them, but not one since. I'm 99% sure that it'd probably show up before the match, too.

Teddy's Comptac suggestions are spot on; they also won't cost you so much that it'll be hurtful if you decide you want to get more serous about competition and go a different route.

I wouldn't sweat the mag capacity issue too much-- you're there to learn and have fun, and run your carry gear. Leave the winning to we obsessed individuals who don't really do much of anything else... :D

I'd look for something OWB, indeed. If you're not going to be using it for anything else, that's definitely the way to go.

Again-- it may not be at all necessary to spend all of this cash just to try out your first match. A belt, of course, is a must-- but you can almost certainly borrow something to give the game a whirl without having to dip into the pocket book.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    First-timers to IDPA or USPSA competition who run into trouble generally due so by breaking the 180 during movement...keep the muzzle pointed in the direction of the back berm. Another problem area for new and sometimes not-so-new competitors is remembering to keep their finger out of the trigger guard unless they are engaging targets. Be particularly careful of this during any reloads.

Be safe and have fun.

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Are you sure there will be a match on June 2? I thought that Amite had discontinued the IDPA for the summer and that the matches will resume in October.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    According to Hoov--

"Probably not. Maybe a steel of some type."

I'm guessing something will be said this Sunday, or an e-mail will be sent out. I'll harass Lightning after the weekend if there's nothing definitive by then.

I am strongly considering shooting my first match. I have everything, just have to do it!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I am strongly considering shooting my first match. I have everything, just have to do it!

I honestly believe that steel is the best place to start.

No movement, no mag changes-- not even a 180 to really worry about. Draw, shoot the plates, reset; wash, rinse, repeat.

The steel gives instant and audible feedback, and it's a blast to shoot as well.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    my advice.. go shoot it.. even if you have no idea what you're doing or have all of the equipment... best thing I ever did was let Spanky talk me into shooting a USPSA match... been hooked ever since!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As we discussed a year ago, May is the last month for IDPA matches due to the hot weather. With that being said, this coming Saturday, Tangi will hold a steel match instead. The usual static steel with 150 minimum round count . Since we will be shooting steel this weekend, I am planning a 3 gun match for the 2nd Sunday of June. Hopefully, many of you who showed a strong interest in this type of match will be able to attend. Once I have the stages worked out for the 3 gun match, I will update at that time with more specifics.

See ya Saturday,
    Hoov

And there ya have it.

ETA-- for those of you making this your first match, bring more than the 150 rounds. 200 is okay; 250 is better, just in case.

Last edited:

0_down

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    umm - at my computer
    Don't go to compete your first time. Go to: 1. Be safe, 2. Have fun, 3. Learn.

Don't handle your gun until you're told where, how and what to do. Always be aware of muzzle direction. Don't put your finger inside the trigger guard until you're pointed at and ready to safely put a hole in the right thing. Do NOT try to catch a dropped gun. Take your time and shoot accurately. You'll enjoy hitting what you intend, slowly, much more than missing real fast. Don't say you're ready until you know exactly how you are going to safely shoot the stage. The SO/RO is there to help you - just ask.

Don't worry about 'looking stupid' - everyone there had a first time. Those of us who've done this a lot have all done stupid stuff - just ask, we'll tell you some of the funniest and scariest stuff you've ever heard.

Have a safe, good time -

JP

Top Bottom