First sbr

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Man, I really don't know, but would ask the lawyer who drew up the trust?
    Then why did you post?

OP:

Yes, all you need is the receiver, but keep in mind, whatever length-of-barrel you put on that form- most say you should be able to readily return the rifle to that configuration. So if you put 10.5" on the form - have a 10.5" barrel. Caliber cannot be 'multi' last I heard, with rare exception that almost seems like a fluke.

This site has some good info as a guide; http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2009/08/atf-form-1-53201for-sbrsbs-wit.html

This section also has a sticky thread about it, I believe. You can ignore the Louisiana stuff now.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/257740_Complete_Guide_of_how_to_complete_a_Form_1.html
    This thread is regurgitating most of what's on the guntrustlawyer.com site, but it has a lot of Q&A that follows which may or may not help.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can make it on form 1 with the receiver or you can buy a factory SBR on form 4. The advantage of buying a factory SBR is that you don't have to engrave your info on the receiver. The disadvantage is that you have to find one in stock and it will probably be more expensive than simply making one on form 1. Also while waiting on the form 1 you could build it up as a pistol to be able to play with while waiting. Once the approved form 1 is back change the buffer tube and add the stock and your good to go. Also I would get the receiver engraved before getting the approved form 1 back in case they screw it up.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    You can make it on form 1 with the receiver or you can buy a factory SBR on form 4. The advantage of buying a factory SBR is that you don't have to engrave your info on the receiver. The disadvantage is that you have to find one in stock and it will probably be more expensive than simply making one on form 1. Also while waiting on the form 1 you could build it up as a pistol to be able to play with while waiting. Once the approved form 1 is back change the buffer tube and add the stock and your good to go. Also I would get the receiver engraved before getting the approved form 1 back in case they screw it up.

None of this info is wrong but let me share my most recent case. I have several SBR's and always engrave my abbreviated trust name with city and state. On my most recent SBR, the paperwork came back in problem status because the abbreviation is not allowed (new examiner, I think). I am told this is because my trust doesn't specifically mention that the engraving can be abbreviated. If this is your first, I might wait until the form 1 comes back to do the engraving.
    Also, as lafsnguy said, you can play with your upper if your lower is in pistol form while you wait for the F1 OR you can keep the rifle together in a 16" (or longer) configuration and buy the barrel when your stamp arrives.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I called the NFA brach with questions. They are very nice and answer all your questions. The phone number is in the instructions on your form 1. 304-616-4500. Do send in 2 copies of the form with both sides printed on the same piece of paper. You can submit a letter to add a caliber or other length barrel to the same lower with no additional fees once you recieve your stamp. Make sure your lower is listed on your trust before you send it in. YOU MAY NOT SET UP A LOWER REGISTERED AS A RIFLE, AS A PISTOL. IT WILL STILL BE CONSIDERED A SBR !!! These are not guesses on my part. This was told to me my the NFA department of the ATF. You can still use your gun with a 16" barrel until approved. You can also always use a non regulated barrel length (16 or longer) even after approved.

Last edited:

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Infidel, are you saying that you can not use the lower which is to be SBR'ed as a pistol while you wait for the stamp??? I would have to say this is wrong or there are thousands of people who are currently breaking the law. I believe what you meant was that if you already have a 16"+ rifle, you can not swap it over to a pistol in order to use the short barrel. If assembling a SBR from a stripped lower, you can most definitely use a pistol configuration while waiting on the stamp.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Infidel, are you saying that you can not use the lower which is to be SBR'ed as a pistol while you wait for the stamp??? I would have to say this is wrong or there are thousands of people who are currently breaking the law. I believe what you meant was that if you already have a 16"+ rifle, you can not swap it over to a pistol in order to use the short barrel. If assembling a SBR from a stripped lower, you can most definitely use a pistol configuration while waiting on the stamp.
    Bingo.
    If it began life as a pistol, you can go back and forth between rifle and pistol configurations, being careful not to make it an SBR at one point.
    If it began life as a rifle, and you make it into a "pistol" configuration it is then a "weapon made from a rifle" which is in the NFA book, so it's an NFA item then.

Stupid? Completely. There's ATF letters about this topic though.

That's why I SBR virgin receivers made only into pistols... easier that way, and like someone else said - it's cheaper than Form 4'ing an existing SBR outside of exceptional circumstances.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    ^^yep a rifle is a rifle is what im saying. If a lower that was registered as a rifle by the manufacturer, and you make it into a pistol, you now have a non registered SBR.

Top Bottom