First self defense handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    So I'm starting this thread with the hopes of it becoming a sticky to people that are wanting to purchase a handgun for self defense and things they should seek/do. What the laws cover. Etc.

1.) Shoot different pistols before selecting one for self defense. Don't just go fondle them at a gun counter.

2.) Seek training for the firearm you choose. Fighting pistol class for example. Something that teaches you to shoot/move/shoot from cover.

3.) Keep your gun safe. Buy a safe to keep it in when you can't take it with you/don't leave it unsecured in your vehicle (locking doors doesn't count).

4.) If you plan to carry a firearm with you for self defense obtain a conceal carry permit.

5.) Your self defense gun should be in a caliber you can handle (control recoil) and afford.

6.) Familiarize yourself with your local gun laws on legal carrying of a firearm. If someone tells you your vehicle is an extension of your home avoid taking further advice from them.

This is by no means a full list. I am no expert everything above is from personal experience.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    1.) get a glock 19

then everything Hattrick 22 said.

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So I'm starting this thread with the hopes of it becoming a sticky to people that are wanting to purchase a handgun for self defense and things they should seek/do. What the laws cover. Etc.

1.) Shoot different pistols before selecting one for self defense. Don't just go fondle them at a gun counter.

2.) Seek training for the firearm you choose. Fighting pistol class for example. Something that teaches you to shoot/move/shoot from cover.

3.) Keep your gun safe. Buy a safe to keep it in when you can't take it with you/don't leave it unsecured in your vehicle (locking doors doesn't count).

4.) If you plan to carry a firearm with you for self defense obtain a conceal carry permit.

5.) Your self defense gun should be in a caliber you can handle (control recoil) and afford.

6.) Familiarize yourself with your local gun laws on legal carrying of a firearm. If someone tells you your vehicle is an extension of your home avoid taking further advice from them.

This is by no means a full list. I am no expert everything above is from personal experience.

Can you explain #3 a bit more?

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Don't assume the guy/gal at the gun counter or store or a random person on the Internet knows what they're talking about. Seek advice from multiple people, take it with a grain of salt and make sure your decision feels right and makes sense to you.

Buy a stiff holster or retention device (i.e. raven vanguard) that covers your trigger guard and will not collapse into the trigger guard. Try several if at all possible before buying.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Take courses and see how different weapons perform when running them hard. Seeing is believing. Ask instructors for their opinions on equipment. They see the pros and cons of equipment on a daily basis. Seek direction, get weapon, train and you will see how your equipment stacks up. If it falls short then get a Glock like you were told too in the beginning. Lol

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Shoot it every day. For a while. If it's your first you need to handle it, shoot it, tear it down and clean it and do it again. Don't just shoot at the 25 foot paper target either. Shoot at different ranges, 5 feet, 10 feet and so on. Shoot with both hands. Either hand. Practice your draw from concealment, WITH AN EMPTY GUN.
    In short, get to know your weapon. Let your hands and eyes become familiar with it until it's as common as picking up a pen to sign your name.
    Buying a gun for just in case and putting it up after you shoot a couple boxes through it is about like taking the driving test, getting your license and then believing when the day comes that you need to drive through New Orleans you will be good to go...just a whole lot worse.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Don't assume the guy/gal at the gun counter or store or a random person on the Internet knows what they're talking about. Seek advice from multiple people, take it with a grain of salt and make sure your decision feels right and makes sense to you.

Buy a stiff holster or retention device (i.e. raven vanguard) that covers your trigger guard and will not collapse into the trigger guard. Try several if at all possible before buying.

and buy a proper belt!

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The general consensus here is to buy a Glock. It is an excellent choice for more than one reason but it's not for everybody. It's certainly not an automatic fix for everyone and for some folks, it's a no can do. The good thing is, if you do buy a Glock and absolutely hate it, you won't have a problem getting rid of it.....expecially on this site.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Can you explain #3 a bit more?

In short be responsible for your firearm unattended firearms are the ones that either get stolen or wynd up getting someone hurt. Keeping it in a safe isn't the best method of being able to deploy it quickly however it will keep it out of curious or mincing hands.

Example you tell your nephew to get a couple quarters out of you truck for the claw machine out of your cup holder. He checks the center console and an accident happens.

It is easy to forget about firearms and keeping them in a safe location. Search the forums many have had pistols stolen from locked vehicles. Criminals will look in the obvious places if you must keep it in your vehicle buy a small vault and a chain and toss it in that. Keeping secured while your in the vehicle is important too would hurt to be smacked in the face by an unsecured firearm if you get in and accident.

Your gun should go where you go. Rather it be your house car or boat. Open carry is nice short cut for those that haven't yet obtained their conceal carry. Good holsters, belt, training apply to this too.

As far as guns go choices etc get something your comfortable shooting because if you hate shooting it you won't practice if you don't practice you lose the skills. I like any good striker fired pistol personally. Comfortable carry goes hand in hand with this if it isn't comfortable to carry keep looking for something that is for the same reasons as stated earlier.

Last edited:

Winstone

Just a Good 'Ol Boy
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    New Orleans
    I second that! A Glock 26 for EDC, a Glock 43 for deep concealment and or backup.

You truly can't go wrong with a Glock. If the grip on the double stack Glocks are to uncomfortable for you, a Springfield XDS 9mm, Kahr 9mm, or a Bersa BPCC 9 mm are guns you may want to shoot & see if you enjoy the fit better. I know my Kahr 9mm is the best feeling/ has the best ergonomics of all my concealed carry 9mm's.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I can think of 1911 reasons not to get a Glock.. :eek3:

Joking aside, like others have said, try several guns, get the one that works for you, and take a few classes. I have taken a few classed from a few instructors. Always learned a few things in every one.

And don't skimp on the belt and holster. And expect to try a few holsters before you find the one that is best for you.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Well I thought it might have started off good then the word Glock seemed to take it over.

Is there anything you would change or add?

A lot of people are panic buying in our state right now some information would be better than none.

You are correct I have to remind myself this is geared towards the "new" gun owners. I apologize about that.

ETA: I updated post #13.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well I thought it might have started off good then the word Glock seemed to take it over.

Is there anything you would change or add?

A lot of people are panic buying in our state right now some information would be better than none.
    It's a good idea. If we are going to make it a sticky it needs more information, as well as links to supplementary information. Keep it going and maybe one day soon :)

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Another thing to consider is caliber.
    Something inexpensive to practice with and ease of availability.
    Also a round you can comfortably handle.
    Not typically a problem but still something to think about.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    You are correct I have to remind myself this is geared towards the "new" gun owners. I apologize about that.

ETA: I updated post #13.

Thanks man I was apprehensive about starting this but since someone close to me has been asking me questions I've been trying to compile a list that doesn't go too far into details but just gives a decent starting point.

Adding to list:

A dependable flashlight/weapon mounted light like streamlight tlr or other reputably name should be considered in for your first defensive handgun.

This will make sure you don't shoot a loved one in the middle of the night if you hear a noise etc.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Another thing to consider is caliber.
    Something inexpensive to practice with and ease of availability.
    Also a round you can comfortably handle.
    Not typically a problem but still something to think about.

Agreed.
    I have been shooting for many years now and found that I like shooting .45 and 9mm calibers best.
    Absolutely hate the feel of shooting .40 and .357 Sig but somehow my 10mm feels fine.
    It is a very subjective experience and varies depending upon the firearm you use and the user themselves.
    Try as many firearms and calibers you can if possible before buying to find out what you like.

Top Bottom