First test of my 10.2kw Solar array

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    This was the first "wet run" for my solar array, unlike the majority of solar systems mine has backup batteries. I have 16 - 8D AGM batteries weighting in at 160lbs each. They are arranged in 4 - 48v strings for a total of 1100 ah (amp hours) capacity.
    I was forced to design and build my own battery backed solar array because I could not find a vendor willing or able to do so. There is much more expense evolved but I think the main reason is the average consumer is not capable of dealing with complexity of the system. A technically inclined person shouldn't have and issue though. My wife was able to grasp the concept of actively managing the available power. During sunny prime daylight hours you can run about anything in the house. However you need to make sure there's power to recharge the batteries for night time power requirements. I have a few tweaks to the system from lessons learned, it should go even smoother next time.

I have some picture from the construction phase, the array is 54 ft x 15 ft, 51 - 200w panels

array.jpg

The equipment 2 - 6kw inverter/chargers, interconnect box, 4 - MPPT charge controllers

inverters.jpg

Some of the piping for the Charge Controllers

ChargeControllers.jpg

The beginnings of the battery bank

4LCyLZQqUFpDUBVMRJjnH3

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Damn dude, that is one impressive setup, dare I ask, how much did that cost you?That is really nice, cool to be able to power most everything off the grid. Im sure it was nowhere near as expensive as what the US taxpayers had to eat for Obama's bankrupt Solyndra but I bet it was pretty pricey none the less!! ;)

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I think I passed your house yesterday, was driving along and said "holy chit!, look at all those solar panels!".

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Although I know I will never afford a setup like this, I too am curious as to the cost. Also, what precautions did you take before Isaac to keep everything safe?

Last edited:

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    My out of pocket expense was about 18K the taxpayer... well that's another story. Louisiana has/had a 50% credit, the federal tax credit is 30%,without which you will never... I repeat NEVER break even. Look the way I figured I'll never see Social Security, might as well get mine up front. It'll take about 7 years for my part to break even... the taxpayer never.

The hardest part for me was putting up with all the sandal wearing hippies stopping during construction wanting to hug me for saving the planet... beleive me, I'm no tree hugger.

The project was unusual also because of it's location (200 ft from the house) which added to the expense. The thing is very visible because the size, everybody in the Bayou Liberty area of Slidell knows me as the crazy Solar Panel guy. :)

Last edited:

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Although I know I will never afford a setup like this, I too am curious as to the cost. Also, what precautions did you take before Isaac to keep everything safe?

It was a B'otch working 4 ft off the ground but that was to keep it above Katrina water levels. The structure is rated for 150mph winds, the panels are supposed to withstand a 2" hale ball at 72mph. I did board up the inverters a bit just to be safe for the storm.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Well I am pretty impressed... Is there a good site on the internet that would describe in detail your system?

To me this is as simple a way as any to describe the system details... I have 4 charge controllers (only shows 2 in the picture) because I'm factoring in the next phase "wind generation" and I tend to be a little more conservative in my engineering. I also have 4 arrays of solar panels but there is no relationship to charge controllers and arrays.

1dXBuGHmOu2rQV1NUYjiNg

If you're a technical type you can go here (see link) warning this is not a DIY project I've been in the electrical business since 1979.

http://www2.schneider-electric.com/sites/corporate/en/products-services/renewable-energies/products-offer/range-presentation.page?c_filepath=/templatedata/Offer_Presentation/3_Range_Datasheet/data/en/shared/renewable_energies/xantrex_xw.xml#

Last edited:
    Top Bottom