First time hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Bring along several packs of HotHands. You won't regret it this weekend.
    A good pair of binoculars would be handy, as well. Good luck & like others said- be careful!

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    Ok guys, I just got back from my trip. It was a success. On the first day, with a borrowed .243 New England Arms Youth model rifle, I got my buck. It was a 10 point, 175 lb beauty. I got him Thursday, and I didn't see anything else all weekend. It was COLD and windy.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    A newbie? Just stumble around the woods and a B&C deer is gong to stand there till you kill it. Seen it too many times.

close enough... :rofl:

Ok guys, I just got back from my trip. It was a success. On the first day, with a borrowed .243 New England Arms Youth model rifle, I got my buck. It was a 10 point, 175 lb beauty. I got him Thursday, and I didn't see anything else all weekend. It was COLD and windy.

congratulations! :bravo:

3zmoorgtbncn3kq3hoj.jpg

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Look for the $1.97 hand and foot warmer heater packs at Walmart. Buy double what you think you might need. Eleminate all human odor, food, tobacco, regular deoderant, soap smell, ect... ANY smells. You may not have a perfect downwind stand. If you don't stink, there is less chance you will get busted by deer. Sit still. Keep the gun in your lap, not propped in the corner of the stand. No noise, no movement, and no smell.

Begginers luck may smile upon you. Keep calm, make sure of your target, and concentrate on the trigger squeeze and follow through.

Aim so that your bullet exits the middle of the OFF SIDE shoulder if boadside or quartering. Use enough gun. If you shoot one, make yourself wait at least 20 minutes before going to look.
    Shoot straight, be safe and good luck.

Why wait? Just curious. I have never been hunting, but I have never heard this.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    An injured or near dead animal will lay down and rest. If its not dead and you eagerly go after it, it will jump and move out further and you could potentially lose it. You wait and then go after it and it will more than likely be dead.:zombie:

Unless you drop it where it stands :x:

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Great first deer. Congradulations! I hope you stick with it, it can be a lifelong passion. I see late January through the first part of October as months just waiting for deer season. Chasing turkeys and bass is just something to keep me occupied until DEER SEASON.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    An injured or near dead animal will lay down and rest. If its not dead and you eagerly go after it, it will jump and move out further and you could potentially lose it. You wait and then go after it and it will more than likely be dead.:zombie:

Unless you drop it where it stands :x:

My dad shot a 9pt yesterday. He shot it head on and it ran 75 yards with a broken shoulder, no lungs, and a 1/2 dollar sided hole in its ribs. He shoots a 7mm mag so every deer hes shot drops where it was standing, not this one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom