First Time reloaded..need formula help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Ok guys,

I recently purchased a LEE turret press, along with some accessories, and at the gun show this weekend, I picked up

500 124gr Rainer Plated 9mm bullets
    1lb Bullseye powder
    1000 Winchester Small Pistol Primers

I had gone to the show looking for Winchester 231, but no one had any, so I asked for recommendations, and bullseye was recommended.

The problem is that neither one of my two reloading manuals (lyman and lee) have a formula for this. Rainier says to just use a formula for lead rounds, but again, nether manual has a formula for lead bullets with bullseye. I've searched on the internet, and I've seen people using anywhere from 3.0 to 4.5 grains... that seems like quite a bit of variance... does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Aaron

As a side note, anyone looking into getting the Lee turret press. So far it seems pretty decent for a first press. It did take some "tweaking", and putting it together was kind of a PITA since each piece has it's own instruction sheet...each of which leaved a little to be desired.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    My copy of Modern Reloading second edition doesn't have any Bullseye data for 124gr, but it does have it for 125gr lead. That's close enough, and the tiny bit of difference would mean slightly lower pressure anyway. This says starting load 4.7gr Bullseye, max 4.9gr

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    aard if you look at the lyman manual it has load data for 120gr lead it shows 3.4-4.2grains. i loaded some berrys plated 124g at 4.1g bullseye and they have shot pretty well. also i will add that comparing the lyman with other manuals and also with powder manufacturer data and bullet man data the lyman is pretty conservitive.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks guys,

I wasn't sure how "exact" things needed to be... there does seem to be a certain amount of trial and error with this process!

Aaron

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    one more suggestion aard is never rely completely on reloading data posted online. not that myself or anyone else here would intentionally post bad info but typos do happen. also handloads.com is done by individuals and i have heard of some very hot loads being published on that sight. so just make sure you double check any internet data with manufacturer data and/or loading manual data. many powder and bullet manufacturers have load data available on their sites and also it would be a good investment to purchase a few loading manuals. even with the loading manuals you will find a fairly large difference in info from book to book. the lyman is a good start but like i said seems to be conservitive the speer is supposed to be decent for pistol info. i have the lyman, nosler, and hornady. the nosler and hornady aren't as usefull for pistol info they have limited info but are good for rifle.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    I myself have both Speer and Hornady reloading manuals. I find that between the two I can work up a load that works with a fair degree of reliability.

Top Bottom