First Training class suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    Been shooting my whole life but I am now thinking about taking some actual classes, thought it would be fun to learn something new, any suggestions?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Been shooting my whole life but I am now thinking about taking some actual classes, thought it would be fun to learn something new, any suggestions?

Bearco has a combat pistol class coming up this Saturday I think.

Also, if you want some medical training as well, Vanilla Gorilla has a class coming up on the 26th. I just took it last weekend and it was great. Also was my first training class. A full day--half med half pistol.

Just depends what exactly you want. If you're looking for just pistol training, go with Bearco. If you want some med training with some pistol go with Vanilla Gorilla.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Quite a few options in the area

Bearco, Vanilla Gorilla, Vata Training, Geaux Shooting provides private classes, NOLATAC also has several a year, check the training area in the forum since they do have Instructors that come to Baton Rouge as well every quarter to teach

I wouldnt waste my time & money on a Basic Class from the NRA.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I don't think of it as a waste of time and money, it's basic for a reason: to give you an institutionalized foundation to build upon. That's why I say that.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Name : NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course

Short Description : Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.

More Details: This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009, 02/11)

If it's the same course that I took to get my CHP, it's a joke and basically designed for people that have never handled a firearm. If you've been shooting your whole life you're probably ready for something more advanced that you'll actually walk away from with new skills that could save your life one day. Like Guate said, there's lots of good training available, just look in the Training subforum and and pick one, they are all great classes.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    If you ever come down my way I have a private range in New Iberia

I will donate you 3 hours of my time and do an Intro to Defensive Shooting with you in exchange of the cost of 1 powerade

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    If it's the same course that I took to get my CHP, it's a joke and basically designed for people that have never handled a firearm. If you've been shooting your whole life you're probably ready for something more advanced that you'll actually walk away from with new skills that could save your life one day. Like Guate said, there's lots of good training available, just look in the Training subforum and and pick one, they are all great classes.

Thank you for proving my point about hating on the NRA courses lol. It's not Supposed to be a tactical pistol class. It Supposed to be a BASIC class that fills in any gaps in your fundamental knowledge Before you go take more advanced courses.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thank you for proving my point about hating on the NRA courses lol. It's not Supposed to be a tactical pistol class. It Supposed to be a BASIC class that fills in any gaps in your fundamental knowledge Before you go take more advanced courses.

I'm not hating at all. There's plenty of people that would benefit greatly from NRA Basic courses. From the OP's post, I personally didn't think he was one of those people. People have limited time and budgets, I don't see the point in suggesting someone waste either. But then again, I'm not an NRA Basic instructor who makes money from doing so.

Guate's offer is very generous, I'd take him up on it!

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I'm not hating at all. There's plenty of people that would benefit greatly from NRA Basic courses. From the OP's post, I personally didn't think he was one of those people. People have limited time and budgets, I don't see the point in suggesting someone waste either. But then again, I'm not an NRA Basic instructor who makes money from doing so.

Guate's offer is very generous, I'd take him up on it!

Touché sir, touché. I do still think he'd get a good base from it though. I could be biased. I agree with you on guate's offer though, that's a helluva deal.

OP, you should take Guate's offer regardless of what you do after.

tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    sounds great I don't mind paying maybe I could set something something up with you for a later date right now im just testing the water right now, but I really do appreciate the offer.

I will donate you 3 hours of my time and do an Intro to Defensive Shooting with you in exchange of the cost of 1 powerade

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I worked with nolatac w/brannon and well as advantage w/Nate just recently and walked away learning something from both of them. I would recommend and take classes agian with either of them without a second thought. The pistol and med class was worth while and VERY affordable have to expect to get shot when using a gun even at the range you increase your probability of getting shot exponentially as Nate said. I would take that as a intro class then get into dynamic pistol classes etc afterwards. It will help later on if anyone gets hurt or yourself for that matter training down the road.

Just my .02.

It's a good foundation to start on.

Last edited:

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Full disclaimer: I am an NRA Instructor...I don't personally instruct for profit... so I really don't have a horse in the race here though.

Personally I think the NRA Basic Course fills a need...it's intent is to provide a consistent curriculum to deliver the BASIC "skills, knowledge, and attitude" for people to safety use a firearm. It's not intended to be a self-defense or tactical course, so someone looking for that type of instruction should look somewhere else.

Like everything else, there are some really good instructors, and some very bad instructors...in my opinion, LA requiring the course for CCW has only given lots of people who have no business instructing a reason to become instructors...money. It's led in my opinion to a poor reputation for the NRA Basic course, something it doesn't necessarily deserve. So Buyer Beware! If you want quality instruction, read reviews and don't look for the rubber-stamp instructors.

I haven't taken one of their courses so I can't comment from a students perspective, but I have attended courses with both Barret (Bearco) and Gaute. Both seemed to be safe, knowledgeable, professional shooters and I would have no problem recommending them.

There is no question that VATA courses are excellent. Something VATA brings to the table that others don't is a lot of actual real world experience...You just can't go wrong taking a course(s) there.

I haven't taken a course with Vanilla G, but I plan to soon. All the feedback I have heard so far has been very positive, so I expect his courses to be great also.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana

Want some more company I would make the drive for that..?

I've been wanting the wife to take something like this as well.

Last edited:

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe

I would take this and even offer you lunch on top of the powerade!

Top Bottom