Five Supreme Court Cases to Watch This Term - Yahoo.com

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Five Supreme Court Cases to Watch This Term

What's Your Take on these issues?

capt.ef187de6a861493c919987e1a9b2e02c.supreme_court_new_term_wx201.jpg

In this Sept. 29, 2009 file photo, the Supreme Court Justices pose for group photo AP By Dan Fletcher – Mon Oct 5, 9:15 am ET

The U.S. Supreme Court reconvenes for its 2009-10 term on Oct. 5, with most of the attention going to the court's freshest face, newly confirmed Justice Sonia Sotomayor. But Sotomayor and her eight colleagues won't have a lot of time for orientation: the court will start immediately on a docket of controversial cases that will call on Justices to consider new facets of the Establishment Clause, gun ownership and prison terms for minors, among other issues. In total, the Justices have already agreed to hear 55 cases in the new term. Here are five to keep an eye on.

Salazar v. Buono
    At issue: Whether the government can permit the display of a crucifix on public land as per the Establishment Clause.

An 8-ft.-tall crucifix has stood on an outcrop called Sunrise Rock on the Mojave National Preserve since 1934, but in one of the court's earliest arguments of the term, the Justices will be asked to consider whether it should be removed. The battle has been brewing for a while - the cross, erected without government approval, was slated for removal by the U.S. National Park Service after a request from Buddhists to create their own memorial near the site was denied. But in 2000, Congress hastily passed a law prohibiting the use of public funds to remove the cross, in essence tying the National Park Service's hands. Congress declared the cross a National Memorial in 2002, and in 2003 it gave the small parcel of land to the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) - the group that constructed the original cross. (See TIME's photo-essay "Sonia Sotomayor, the Making of a Judge.")

The removal of the cross brings up the Establishment Clause, that long-debated line separating church and state that takes its name from the First Amendment (which begins, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"). This case has been in the court system since early 2000, before Congress's involvement. The National Park Service's attempt to transfer the land to the VFW, per the 2003 congressional order, has been viewed by the lower courts as an illegal way of circumventing repeated rulings compelling it to remove the cross. (Once the land is considered private property, the Establishment Clause no longer applies.) The Supreme Court will be asked to sort out the issue - and ownership of Sunrise Rock - once and for all.

Maryland v. Shatzer
    At issue: The scope of the rights of police suspects, as given in the court's landmark 1966 decision, Miranda v. Arizona.

In Maryland v. Shatzer, Michael Shatzer was questioned by police about sexual abuse of his 3-year-old child, and after being told he had the right to counsel as part of his Miranda rights, declined to answer any questions without an attorney present. The officer never pursued Shatzer further, but nearly three years later, a different detective questioned Shatzer, at which point he admitted abuse. Shatzer now argues this confession is inadmissible because the second police officer, who was unaware of Shatzer's original Miranda request, questioned him without an attorney present. (Read "Four Enduring Myths About Supreme Court Nominees.")

The court has already considered a similar case in 1981's Edwards v. Arizona, in which the court found admissions made by a suspect without the presence of an attorney, which he had requested, inadmissible. But in Edwards, these admissions were made only a day after the suspect had been given his rights - not nearly three years later. The court will be asked to decide whether to treat their decision in Edwards as a so-called "bright-line" rule - that is, one that would create an absolute standard of police conduct in regard to the Miranda rights, regardless of how much time has passed.

Graham v. Florida / Sullivan v. Florida
    At issue: Whether life imprisonment for juveniles on nonhomicide charges constitutes cruel and unusual punishment.

The Eighth Amendment precludes cruel and unusual punishment, but it has long been left to the Supreme Court to define exactly what that term means. This court will be asked to consider it again in a pair of cases on the docket. In Sullivan, the petitioner was 13 years old when he was indicted as an adult and sentenced to life in prison without parole in Florida for sexual assault of an elderly woman. In Graham, a 19-year-old violated his parole by committing attempted armed robbery while on parole for two previous robbery attempts he had committed while he was a minor. He too was subsequently sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

In making their decision, the court will review its logic in 2005's Roper v. Simmons, which held that individuals could not be sentenced to death for crimes committed under the age of 18, as the court found that minors had a "lack of maturity." The petitioners in Graham and Sullivan are arguing for a similar standard for their noncapital offenses.

National Rifle Association v. Chicago / McDonald v. Chicago
    At issue: Second Amendment rights to gun ownership.

A pair of cases challenge Chicago's 27-year-old ban on handgun sales within the city limits. Originally designed to curb violence in the city, the ban has long irked Second Amendment advocates, who take an expansive view of the amendment's wording that the "right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." But the Supreme Court had long held that the Second Amendment pertained only to federal laws, until a 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller struck down a ban on handguns and automatic weapons in Washington, D.C. The ruling marked the first time the Supreme Court acknowledged an individual right to bear arms, and it opened the door for these challenges to the Chicago regulation.

American Needle v. National Football League
    At issue: Whether sporting leagues should be exempt from antitrust regulations.

Experts say American Needle may turn out to be the most important legal decision in sporting history. The sportswear manufacturer contracted with NFL teams to produce hats and headgear with official team logos. But the NFL decided to give an exclusive leaguewide license to Reebok in 2000, leading American Needle to sue, claiming the NFL's action violated the Sherman Antitrust Act by limiting the market for who could produce team-branded merchandise.

The fundamental question for the court to decide is whether the NFL should be considered a single entity or a collection of 32 individual businesses. The answer to this question has repercussions beyond the production of licensed merchandise. If the NFL is considered a single entity, it would largely be exempt from antitrust laws, giving the league not only continued right to grant exclusive licenses for team apparel but also the ability to make decisions on a leaguewide basis. This opens the door to the NFL - rather than individual teams - determining things like ticket prices and player salaries. Indeed, the bargaining power of the NFL Players Union is based on antitrust legislation that the league would largely be immune to if it receives a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court. Other sporting leagues are watching the American Needle case closely; many have filed briefs in favor of the NFL's position.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Salazar v. Buono
    Being that the countries foundational morale was based off of Judeo-Christian Morality I don't see why the Government could not display this Christian artifact for the fallen.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Personally, I believe that the separation of church and state includes the government's endorsement of certain religions. The non-Christian citizens of this nation are as much American as any of us. And there's no doubt that someone on this very forum would be throwing a hissy fit if someone wanted to erect a statue of Buddha in a national park.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Personally, I believe that the separation of church and state includes the government's endorsement of certain religions. The non-Christian citizens of this nation are as much American as any of us. And there's no doubt that someone on this very forum would be throwing a hissy fit if someone wanted to erect a statue of Buddha in a national park.

Maybe, but that would be b/c the Nation was not raised on what Buddha taught. This countries roots are entwined with Christianity, not Buddhism.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I just don't believe in the imposing of beliefs on others, whether they may be a minority or not. We are all too quick to defend the 2nd amendment based on what our founding fathers knew. I'd say that those that first settled here (save for the Native Americans) knew a thing or two about the separation of church and state as well.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe, but that would be b/c the Nation was not raised on what Buddha taught. This countries roots are entwined with Christianity, not Buddhism.

It's still roots to 2 different trees. While the founders may have been Christian, they made it a point to keep the 2 seperate.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    While the founders may have been Christian, they made it a point to keep the 2 separate.

Impossible.

It is factually impossible to be unbiased.

Our very own presupposition drives and defines us. Those foundational beliefs we "ALL" believe in make us who we are. Therefore it those beliefs will affect every single decision we will ever make. It has to.

Otherwise that's like saying, yea I'm an Atheist, but I believe that Jesus is the son of God.

Huh?

Separation of Church and state is a mere dog and pony show title. No one can separate themselves from their foundational roots and therefore will make their decisions based on them. There is simply no way for anyone to ever be unbiased. Christians will think biblically as much as they can. Non-Christians will follow their own religion as much as they can based off of all of their own assumptions of truth and reality.

Religion is just the word that describes the filter in which people live their lives through.

If you live your life by Murphy's law, then your religion is Murphy’s Law.

If you claim to believe in nothing, than you actually believe in your own religion of your own consciousness.

So I guess the law as it is written might mean that separation should take place, but that doesn’t mean that in the minds of men it is possible.

dt007

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    In fact they didn't keep them separate

It's still roots to 2 different trees. While the founders may have been Christian, they made it a point to keep the 2 seperate.

Our founding fathers prayed and used Christian principles in every aspect of the creation of our country and our laws.

This is not a personal attack on you, but I don't know why everyone finds this so difficult.

The portion of the First Amendment pertaining to religion is very simple and it uses simple words: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

In the first part of this, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", they were clearly writing a law that prohibited the formation of a state religion like Great Britain with the Church of England. The King of England used the Blasphemy Law to persecute persons of other faiths as he saw fit. Our founding father's chose to make it illegal to persecute someone in the US because of their faith.

The second half of it, "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", clearly shows that they intended tolerance of all religions at any time and any place, as did their actions in their expressions of Christianity.

Nowhere in this clause do they mention separation of church and state, they simply were stating that a person could not be forced to belong to a specific faith, including Christianity, nor could they be kept from practicing any faith they desired.

Unfortunately, persons with an agenda, take one part or the other to slant the argument in their favor.

I find nothing in the wording that can be used to preclude the display of religious icons on public lands, Christian, Buddists, or otherwise. Our founding fathers actions showed their clear intention when they prayed on government property, when they held religious services on government property, when they held memorial services which included prayer on government property.

Does it seem reasonable that if they intended the complete separation of all things religious from government land and property, that they would immediately break the law they just wrote by praying at the beginning of their next assembly as was customary.

I am a conservative Christian, but the bottom line is that the first ammendment left the door open for Buddists to have the same rights as Christians. I just get tired of arguments that try to chip away at our collective religious freedoms by the supposed "Separation of Church and State". No one was provided protection from religion by the First Amendment, only freedom of religion.

Last edited:

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    It's one thing to say its unavoidable to not live your live based on the values your religion has instilled in you. It's another to put up a monument to your God on government land for all to see.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It's one thing to say its unavoidable to not live your live based on the values your religion has instilled in you. It's another to put up a monument to your God on government land for all to see.

True, then again it's all in tradition of the nation's roots.

Like I said, it's a dog and pony show. Seperation of Church and State is mere lip service.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

The way I read it there were two churches led by pastors that fired the first shots of Rev War

Freedom and politics were preached from the pulpit, this countrys foundings and laws were based in Christianity

Amen

Preach it Dawg

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I just don't believe in the imposing of beliefs on others, whether they may be a minority or not. We are all too quick to defend the 2nd amendment based on what our founding fathers knew. I'd say that those that first settled here (save for the Native Americans) knew a thing or two about the separation of church and state as well.

This.. Many people such as my family do not go to church so I dont feel I should have other's bible thumping imposed on the rest of us.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    This.. Many people such as my family do not go to church so I dont feel I should have other's bible thumping imposed on the rest of us.

I fail to see compelling reason to agree, however the founders of this country did agree to give others a right to not believe in the principles that gave everyone freedom of activity and speech

So believe what we will, USA is founded on Christian principles, we don't have to like it but neither should anyone bite the hand that protects them

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I believe the ideology our country was founded on was "freedom OF religion" not "freedom from being exposed to religion".

Look at your statement again friend. :)

"Freedom OF Religion"

NOT "Freedom, FROM."

The founding fathers were indeed insinuation that we would never go back to the Roman Church way of thinking. You could all believe in that which you felt was on your heart by the Lord Almighty. Freedom OF, imo was geared towards those who DID NOT want to ever fall under Catholic Rule as was so fresh in their minds from what happen during the crusades.

Freedom of = Whether or not you want to be Baptist, Presbyterian, Catholic etc.etc. And Whether or not you wanted to believe in anything at all.

BUT! If the country wants to stick to its roots which were indeed Christian, than as a Non-Christian you should at least be happy that you are NOT forced to believe. But you at least will have to tolerate it.

Of course this is all my own opinion so it should be taken as such. An opinion :)

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am just saying people shouldn't get their pannies in a wad just because they see a cross or the ten comandments. Some people feel they have the right to supress someones relgion based on seperation of church and state.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Doesn't say I am not going to not have to ever see a cross or hear a religious Christmas carol.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    So I should count myself lucky that I'm not forced to have a religion?

Gee, thanks.

attachment.php

Luck does not exist. ;)

And anyone can make a graph to portray their own agenda :rolleyes:

I am just saying people shouldn't get their pannies in a wad just because they see a cross or the ten comandments. Some people feel they have the right to supress someones relgion based on seperation of church and state.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Doesn't say I am not going to not have to ever see a cross or hear a religious Christmas carol.

+1

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Doesn't make it any less correct. I don't even care about the damn cross, but if you're going to make special concessions for one religion then you have to do it for all of them.

Even us Pastafarians.

attachment.php

Top Bottom