Flashlight shopping

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Well, my trusty Fenix PD30 has stopped working after many years of faithful service. It needs a replacement tailcap assembly as I cannot disassemble the switch, the factory wants me to ship it it CHINA on my dime, so that's probably not gonna happen.

What I'm looking for:
    Small form factor, handheld. Surefire 6P size is as big as I will go, must fit on a duty belt in a holder designed for a 6p. Tailcap switch, multiple brightness levels preferred, CR123 batteries, or maybe rechargeable equivalents. US Made or at least US Based warranty center preferred! $50-$100 price range most likely

What do you folks carry or whats new out there? I haven't researched lights in about 6 years.

Thanks!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Protac 2L's size is great, but only 230 lumens on high, 3hours on high is nice though. I'd trade run time for more light, batteries are cheap, not seeing something can be deadly.

Scorpion HL has some pretty high output, and a decent size that may work for my setup.

I've looked into some other brands, Olight is popular but several of them I've seen don't have tailcap switches. Nitecore looks nice but the phone number goes to China.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm looking hard at the 6PX, 320 isn't too bad, and it's an american company which is a huge plus. It's not the 800, or 1000 lumens of the other companies but you know it will be fixed if theres a problem.

From what I can tell, initial on is in low mode and you have to re-click it for high, I'd prefer full light immediately when I need it. Anybody have one?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm looking hard at the 6PX, 320 isn't too bad, and it's an american company which is a huge plus. It's not the 800, or 1000 lumens of the other companies but you know it will be fixed if theres a problem.

From what I can tell, initial on is in low mode and you have to re-click it for high, I'd prefer full light immediately when I need it. Anybody have one?

The 6PX Tactical is single output (max). Then there's the 6PX Defender which is the same as the Tactical but has a crenellated bezel and click through switch (press for momentary and click for constant) like their weapon lights. If you want face melting lumens, there's always the Surefire Fury.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Surefire is overrated.

Get the new Olight S1 for $50 and call it a day. The Olight S series has been proven, and at 500 lumens from a single CR123... For $50... Everyone should have one!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Surefire is overrated.

Get the new Olight S1 for $50 and call it a day. The Olight S series has been proven, and at 500 lumens from a single CR123... For $50... Everyone should have one!

Looks horrible for duty use as the OP intends, but looks like a really cool EDC light for the money. Is the stated battery life pretty accurate?

And I wouldn't say Surefire is overrated, just overbuilt for most needs. But for LE use I'd pay more for overbuilt any day.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Lol, Surefire overrated??
    Thats like saying Hk/Glock/S&W are overrated because a hah pernt/lorcin/etc will launch a projectile too

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I love Surefire quality but hate their "tactical" switch. Who still thinks that a light that takes 2 hands to turn on constant is tactical?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ohhh goody! I ruffled some feathers.

Yea, I think Surefire is overrated. If we're comparing $50-100 lights, there are far better options than what Surefire has to offer. We're not discussing weapon lights, so my opinion still stands as my own. I like Surefire weapon lights, but as far as hand held lights, I have other favorites.

I'm not 100% positive on the S1's runtime yet, because I haven't ordered one (out of laziness), but typically the runtime shown is for the turbo/max output. The website claims 1.5hrs on turbo and 40 on low.

The Olight M1X Striker is another good option, with the ability to use CR123's or the larger 18650 battery. It's also 1000 lumens on high.

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I see many like the pt2l. Anyone have the HL Usb rechargeable? Looks like only slightly bigger and considerably brighter. Can also use the same batts as the pt2l in a pinch.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom