Flooded out roll call

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    The safe was bolted down , it didn't move just everything else. I'll be fine cut i have insurance I'm worried about my friend that didn't. And since the wife and kid and now cat are safe all I have left to do is rebuild.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Real surplus ammo cans are all I use now. They have to pass the "brick" test though. Put in a brick and a few saltine crackers in the can and hum it in the deep end of the pool for the weekend. If I can't eat the crackers afterwards it goes in the dumpster. BTW, those plastic knock offs are the very worst.

Some_goat glad everyone is safe. You can always replace stuff. I am trying to locate my brother over there. Pretty sure he and his wife are at a shelter somewhere but haven't been able to talk to either of them. Trying times when this kind of stuff happens.

Last edited:

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    yes diet 16 0z. i did quick research and think the coke bottles are made of plastic that will last forever if not in sunlight. cleaned them, let them dry 100% for a few days. i know i fit 60 rounds of ak ammo with a small pack of desiccants. also i had the ac real cold. can't remember how many 9mm or 22lr fit. any size coke bottles would work if its the same plastic. i just rather smaller containers in case a bottle fails. lose 60 instead of hundreds ya know.

i tested it. put some steel case ammo in a 16 oz coke bottle without the desiccants and placed that bottle in a gallon of water with cap down at the bottom of water. great thing is you can see whats happening in the bottle. it stayed submerged under water for 6 months. 0 corrosion on the contained ammo. had this in the shed. the water kept evaporating and i had to refill several times. i forgot about it tbh and thats whay its only a 6 month test. guess i should water it again. no this time im gonna tie it and throw the coke bottle with steel case ammo in the bayou. i'll check it every few months but im sure it will never leak.

im also thinking about putting some sort of glue to really seal that cap on. maybe pvc pipe glue?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Stuck like Chuck at work, But at least we are sending Natural gas and oil North to keep the power on for the people!

same here I had to work a 24 yesterday, and still working today, my wife and 3 little boys are stuck in French settlement, they are high and dry, and running on a generator!!! all the bridges are flooded.... have you ever had to explain to your wife how to start and plug up a generator through text, WOW!!!!!!! but I must say I am truly BLESSED!!! I pray every day for yall who have lost everything!!! I pray for comfort, strength, power, safety, closure, and for GOD to lead you in the path you need to go on to kick the devil in the face and make a come back!!!! In Jesus name!!! once work lets me leave and I can make it on the other side of the river and get my wife and little boys secured if anybody is in the port Vincent/French settlement area and need anything, message me!!! I will do what I can, if I can get you gas, food, water, help, or just somebody to talk to im hear for ya fellas, I got plenty of ammo if yours went under water also lol

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    It sucks having to juggle work when your family is depending on you. Right now it stands I have 5 houses in my family that are pretty much a total loss. I lived through Katrina (lived in New Orleans at the time) but was 11 years younger. It was hot as hell today ripping out walls, flooring, furniture etc. I'm very thankful I live in Louisiana though. Numerous strangers and friends popped up out of the middle of nowhere to lend a hand, drop off water and hot dogs, and just lend moral support. It's damn good to be American.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I'm dry, was helping my cousin cut out sheet rock and flooring in Zachary, probably going back tomorrow after work. If anybody in the central area needs help in the next few days then PM me. I also have a few packs of water I can spare if anyone needs them.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Just a little rain up north. Good luck to all you down south! We had 2 feet of rain a few months ago, lots of places still have flood damage.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    same here I had to work a 24 yesterday, and still working today, my wife and 3 little boys are stuck in French settlement, they are high and dry, and running on a generator!!! all the bridges are flooded.... have you ever had to explain to your wife how to start and plug up a generator through text, WOW!!!!!!! but I must say I am truly BLESSED!!! I pray every day for yall who have lost everything!!! I pray for comfort, strength, power, safety, closure, and for GOD to lead you in the path you need to go on to kick the devil in the face and make a come back!!!! In Jesus name!!! once work lets me leave and I can make it on the other side of the river and get my wife and little boys secured if anybody is in the port Vincent/French settlement area and need anything, message me!!! I will do what I can, if I can get you gas, food, water, help, or just somebody to talk to im hear for ya fellas, I got plenty of ammo if yours went under water also lol

I had to do the same thing during Huricane Isaac I believe it was when I was stuck at work. At least I could acually talk her through it instead of texting, but still a challenge. I walked her through it before I left, but it went in one ear and out the other. We are waiting for the water to reach us here in St James parish, hoping I will remain high and dry. Glad to hear your family is OK.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The tangi got me I took just over 3 feet in the house. Lost some tools and the rock and a couple little thing we forgot to get out. Since we flooded in March when they change the river fortcast the very first time I knew we were in trouble. We moved almost everything back out Friday night and spent half of Saturday almost feeling a little silly, that is of course the water water started flowing in. It was so fast within 30 minute we went from high and dry to probably 30 homes flooded. We ended up with nearly 70. The subdivision only has 72 homes.

ARROWBEE

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Thibodaux
    Guys I am driving up from Thibodaux tomorrow. If anyone needs anything they are having trouble getting just let me know. I'll check this in the morning of before I leave.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Got about a foot in my house and 2.5 or so in my parents. I evacuated twice now and tired of running. I have flood insurance so it's just stuff and alot of work and big inconvenience, right? Already got someone to rebuild the houses, my neighbor is a contractor and we are #1 and 2. He rebuilt my parents after Gustav. Still underwater though. Just waiting for water to receed so I can get to it. And start tearing **** out. Power is back but my breakers where all on so I hope it didn't tear up my ac.

I have an empty house in Kenner, LA with electricity, water and A/C if a family can use it.

This just about made me lose it. Ive been pretty good so far but the generosity here is amazing.

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    My house in Hammond faired out okay -- water came up but did not get in house. BTW, a few feet of water in the house is repairable, my best friend's house took about a 1' or so during Isaac. The key is to get the wet stuff out as fast as you can, if you still have power, let your AC run on the coldest setting. We cut all the sheetrock 24" above floor, we were fortunate that it did not get to the electrical.

AND if you hire a contractor to do your repairs:
    Do NOT tell the contractor what your insurance settlement (if you had flood insurance) was. Make sure you get a FIRM FIXED PRICE for the work to be accomplished and a CONTRACT to do the work WITH a Not to Exceed completion Date!!! I'd even have the contract notarized. If the contractor will not give you this, move on. DO NOT get into a "Time & Materials" contract as you will get burned. Make sure the contractor is licensed, insured and bonded!!

Good luck my BS friends.

Based on the Katrina and Rita experience, I know I am preaching to the choir. Do not give last payment until the job is completed to your satisfaction regardless of his situation.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I am fortunate in having never flooded or had any major disaster hit. I feel for those that are going through the worst of times and hope all works out in the end.

However I must ask about some above postings, re: large coke bottles.
    1. Would not plastic gallon milk jugs with screw on caps work just as well and would hold more ammo?
    2. Does it flood often enough that you guys keep your ammo in these bottles or do you keep them on hand for such emergencies?
    3. Why not just put the ammo in the attic in whatever type containers they are in at present?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I had good old GI ammo storage boxes flood over in Hurricane Isaac, both .30 and .50 cal boxes. Not a single one leaked. Water over them for 20 hours. Put a little motor oil on the rubber gasket every couple years to keep em pliable. A pack of dessicant in em too.
    I purchased a 20MM storage box after that, much bigger, holds a LOT of ammo. Still have my 30 and 50 cal boxes too, some a bit of surface rust on em but they fine.

I store tap water in 1 gallon milk jugs in the pantry, just in case.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom