Florida CHL turnaround time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Corregidor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Cenla
    Well, I finially got around to sending off my Florida out-of-state CHL packet. I know they say that the turnaround time is approximately 90 days, but was just wondering how long it took some of the other board members to get their Florida CHL's. I ended up sending them two completed fingerprint cards just in case they didn't like the way I finger-painted all over the first one.

I am also still having trouble choosing a CCW. I love my S&W j-frames. (especially my 442's). However, I am starting to get an itch for a Glock sub-compact as well as a full size. ( a G22 and G27 in .40 S&W). I will primarily be carrying IWB, as it will be the easiest means given my day to day activities. Just wanting to get some thoughts on what you guys are carrying or recommend.

Man, this feels like it is taking forever and it has only been 2 days.

meisal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 30, 2007
    Benton, LA
    it's a long wait

It took 100 days to receive mine from Florida. :o
    The FBI fingerprint check was the holdup.
    Florida had their part completed pretty quick.

Even after I received the permit I received another request for a new fingerprint card for the FBI.

I carry a Bersa .380 usually. Just ordered a Bersa 9mm concealed carry.
    Have a S&W 9mm that I will carry as soon as it cools down a little and can wear more clothing.

Good luck on your wait.

Last edited:

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    mine took right at 90 days ... but that was almost 2 years ago. if i was in a hurry or just impatient, i'd drive to a sheriff's office in florida that did the electronic prints which supposedly REALLY speeds things up.

Corregidor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Cenla
    Update on CHL situation

Yesterday I called Florida to check on the status of the application and was informed that both of the fingerprint cards I had submitted weren't up to par. They are sending a new one in the mail and I requested another from them online. This is taking a hell of a lot longer than I expected, but hopefully the rest of the process will be pretty much down hill from here.

On another note, I decided to purchase a Glock 19 as a CCW, and will probably pick a pair of them at BR Police Supplies this week. They seem to have the best prices I can find. $398 for a NIB Glock 19.

Anyway, just giving an update....and sitting here green with envy over you guys that already have your CHL's.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Yesterday I called Florida to check on the status of the application and was informed that both of the fingerprint cards I had submitted weren't up to par. They are sending a new one in the mail and I requested another from them online. This is taking a hell of a lot longer than I expected, but hopefully the rest of the process will be pretty much down hill from here.

On another note, I decided to purchase a Glock 19 as a CCW, and will probably pick a pair of them at BR Police Supplies this week. They seem to have the best prices I can find. $398 for a NIB Glock 19.

Anyway, just giving an update....and sitting here green with envy over you guys that already have your CHL's.
    Crap. Damn good price.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Yesterday I called Florida to check on the status of the application and was informed that both of the fingerprint cards I had submitted weren't up to par.
    who did your fingerprints?
    when I did a Fl. application I had my card done at EBR Parish Prison.
    when I did my La. application I had it done at LSP headquarters (a while back)

why are you getting a Fl. permit now? When I applied for it I had my La., but it wasn't accepted in nearly as many places, but now that it is I don't feel that I need it. Some people claim because "it's easier to get", that may be true, but the La. course does give you a lot of good info about LOUISIANA law that you don't find in the handbook along with explanations. I took my La. renewal course at Precision Firearms, the instructor, Wade, is an attorney - he'll help you navigate the laws and be frank with you about the grey areas... the amount that this could save me in the long run is well worth the little extra time and effort it took to get.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    With FL and LA being on the same states number wise but LA beating out FL since a couple states don't take FL's non-resident, LA is the way to go. Sadly, FL does have the benefit of being less expensive and lasting a year longer.

That said, I'll be getting the LA permit some time soon. I don't think I'm gonna wait until my FL expires like I originally planned.

Corregidor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Cenla
    MP's did the fingerprinting.

I applied for the FL CHL because it was easier to get, and was valid for a year longer. I am currently thinking of applying for the LA permit as well. I was just wondering about some of the documentation that might be needed.....i.e. I heard I might have to include my divorce decree from my previous marriage and it might take a lot of digging to find that. If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

I am really considering the Precision permit class now, though.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    another quick comment then I'll end the Hijack:

Gun grabbers WILL be using statistics when they try to take away gun owner's rights - every permit holder that keeps their nose clean is one more in our favor and weakens their arguments. A Fl. non-resident permit does nothing to help our in state statistics. (I don't like the statistics game b/c they can be construed to say anything you want, but the bottom line numbers never change.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom