Florida Permit In Today's Mail!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    My Florida permit arrived today. I mailed the application January 3rd and the permit arrived on February 2nd. I was expecting a longer wait.

I carried for the first time this afternoon--went to academy sports shopping for some shoes for my daughter. I will probably go to wal-mart tomorrow for a nacho or two. I have to say, it felt a little strange, like everyone was looking at me. I went into the restroom to check out if I was printing and everything looked fine. I wonder how long it will be before the self conscious feeling dies down a bit?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'm just curious why you applied for a Florida CHL rather than a Louisiana one?
    And which sidearm, holster, and ammo are you carrying? Extra mags?

The only people who will notice you are printing are other concealed carry people. I have printed rather blatantly many times and never had anyone say anything to me. People just don't notice or think it's a cell phone. One thing that will give you away, especially to other CCW people, is constantly checking your shirt or adjusting your weapon.

Hopefully, you'll never "get used to it". Don't let your guard down. Don't forget it's there.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    If you hold a LA resident permit, you have access to more States (31 in all) than if you were to have a non-resident permit from any of the States that offer them. The State non-resident permit that has the most recognition is Michigan (29 States), followed by Tennessee (27 States), Utah (28 States) and Florida (26 States).

Theirs is less hassle to get, though. I would like to see ours change in that regard.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you hold a LA resident permit, you have access to more States (31 in all) than if you were to have a non-resident permit from any of the States that offer them. The State non-resident permit that has the most recognition is Michigan (29 States), followed by Tennessee (27 States), Utah (28 States) and Florida (26 States).

Theirs is less hassle to get, though. I would like to see ours change in that regard.

Right. I think the whole Florida is valid in more states thing is a wide spread myth. I've had several gun friends ask me why I didn't get a Florida permit since it was valid in more places. They don't understand there is a legal difference between resident and non-resident permits. Actually, I didn't understand either until I found this forum.

The class may be a bit of a hassle but I think it's certainly informative and needed for the average applicant. The VAST MAJORITY of the people in my class had very little to zero gun experience. Probably 27 out of 30 people.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    There were a number of reasons why I chose to apply for the FL permit. I didn't have to pay for a separate concealed carry class and instead used my hunter education class which saved me at least $100. The permit is also good for an extra year which again reduces the overall cost. And I believe the renewal process is also cheaper, not sure about that though. Also, there were fewer questions on the application form and fewer forms overall for the FL permit, just generally less hassle overall.

In particular the question on the LA application regarding psychiatric medication bothered me in a philosophical sense. The question asks in part whether a person has "ever" taken medication for depression. I am a mental health professional and in my professional opinion this is needlessly intrusive into a person's privacy and at the very least should be time limited to no longer than "in the past 5 years" if not done away with altogether. This is probably not the proper venue for a technical discussion regarding why I feel this way, but let me just say that I have what I consider to be important professional reasons. Although it would not have personally been a problem for me to answer the question I did not want to support in a monetary way something I disagree with philosophically when there was a simple and cheaper alternative.

As far as hardware I can now say I carry a Sig P239 in 40 S&W. It is equipped with crimson trace laser grips and Truglo Tritium Fiber Optic night sights. I am currently using a Galco Skyops IWB holster that I got pretty cheap off of Ebay. But I was perusing with interest the recent thread on the Crossbreed holster, it looked comfortable. Oh, also I just put an extra mag in my front pants pocket for today. I may explore getting some kind of magazine holder for my belt.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the informative answer. I may steer my dad towards the Florida permit. We were going to go through the Louisiana process together but he took one look through the stack of forms and said no way.

Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    Congrats on the permit. I had all my paperwork for the FL one, but decided to get a LA one. Yes it's more paperwork, yes it requires a $ class, but I'm glad I took the class. They give you a great understanding of laws etc. I also feel better about not having to worry about a non resident revoke down the line. :cool:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Being a LEO and carrying all around without permit, I haven't looked over a packet in a while, so I have a question regarding the LA vs. FL issue. Did LA go to a requirement for proof of updated training prior to a renewal? I had heard that a LA renewal now required more class time, and that FL had no such requirement. Also, for anyone that has done the FL packet, can you clarify the class requirement mentioned earlier in this thread? Is just a hunter safety course sufficient, they really don't require a specific class with range time?

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    From the Florida Dept. of Agriculture web site: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/ap.../Concealed Weapon_ApplicationInstructions.pdf

QUESTION 6
    ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
    1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate
    because it cannot be returned.
    2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
    3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting
    to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
    but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
    • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
    Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement,
    junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing
    instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
    or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators,
    special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
    or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
    discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
    • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
    license has been revoked for cause;
    • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
    Association-certified firearms instructor.
    The photocopy of your training certificate must be clear and legible and include your name, the instructor’s name,
    signature, and certification number. Please do not send the original certificate; it cannot be returned.

Top Bottom