Flowmaster?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    Had a Gibson catback system on a Tahoe about 12 years ago. Great rumble, but too much resonance at 65 mph. Used to almost get a headache after a 2hour trip. But sounded badass in the parking garage! :rockon:

I used to hammer on it through the I-10 tunnel in Phoenix, AZ for the same reason :D

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    for more sound get a single in dual out muffler, my cousin and I had the same muffler at one time only his was a dual out version and his was signifigantly louder.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    If your willing to spend a few pennies a set of long tubes is where the best sound and hp gains can be made. Or for a little less a nice 2.5" cat back system from Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Hooker, or Bassani would be nice. And for the least an axle back from any of those manufacturers would be nice. I've got American Racing headers with a 3" cat back from magnaflow with their 3" in 4" out competition series on my GTO. Nice rumble when I'm gentle. Sets off car alarms when I'm not :cool: :rockon:

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Stole the words right out of my mouth and funny enough the same car for example . But be forewarned , longtubes REALLY do make it excessively louder , if u go with any type of glasspack it will be a very loud drone and on a 4 speed automatic it wont be pleasent . Ive always thought of catback systems were more for sound than anything else . If u want to do exhaust mods and want power , longtubes are your best bet .
    I made the mistake of getting on it in the city limits of Baton Rouge , cop heard me from the back end of the church a couple hundred yards away . Pulled me over , ask me why i thought he pulled me over , i said excessive acceleration and speeding 4 miles over the speed limit .There was nobody infront of me or behind me from a dig . He says nope , I broke a noise ordinance in city limits . From then on i dont pass 3k rpm in cityt limits . I have longtubes with x pipe going into a spintech exhaust .

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    GM V8 + Magnaflow = greatest sound ever!!

Also, you probably need to replace your catalytic converter with a high flow/high performance model. That will make a big difference all by itself with both sound AND gas mileage.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    Stole the words right out of my mouth and funny enough the same car for example . But be forewarned , longtubes REALLY do make it excessively louder , if u go with any type of glasspack it will be a very loud drone and on a 4 speed automatic it wont be pleasent . Ive always thought of catback systems were more for sound than anything else . If u want to do exhaust mods and want power , longtubes are your best bet .
    I made the mistake of getting on it in the city limits of Baton Rouge , cop heard me from the back end of the church a couple hundred yards away . Pulled me over , ask me why i thought he pulled me over , i said excessive acceleration and speeding 4 miles over the speed limit .There was nobody infront of me or behind me from a dig . He says nope , I broke a noise ordinance in city limits . From then on i dont pass 3k rpm in cityt limits . I have longtubes with x pipe going into a spintech exhaust .

spintech is the shiz!!

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    Not to jack your thread but I have a Ford 5.3L and I was thinking about putting some turn downs on it and I was wanting a lil noise when you get on, nice rumble at a cruise and something that sounds good at idle, I was also thinking Flowmaster or Magnaflow, so what do ya'll think?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Not to jack your thread but I have a Ford 5.3L and I was thinking about putting some turn downs on it and I was wanting a lil noise when you get on, nice rumble at a cruise and something that sounds good at idle, I was also thinking Flowmaster or Magnaflow, so what do ya'll think?

I didn't know Ford even made a 5.3L engine. The 5.3L in modern times is a de-stroked LS1 for all common intent and purpose, or at least that's what it used to be.
    What is your Ford 5.3L in?

Magnaflow is much better than Flowmaster.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Magnaflow makes a great product. I have SLP on my mustang, it basically has two "resonators" which are just slight bumps in the pipe. those with the 2 high flow cats and headers means it is crazy loud, in a good way[/QUOTE

Now write yourself a ticket. :D

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Magnaflow makes a great product. I have SLP on my mustang, it basically has two "resonators" which are just slight bumps in the pipe. those with the 2 high flow cats and headers means it is crazy loud, in a good way[/QUOTE

Now write yourself a ticket. :D

Why? He is in law enforcement. The law is non-applicable unless:

He is in violation of a federal law, or other things beyond the scope of his jurisdiction
    His department/boss needs a scape-goat/he pisses someone off above his pay-grade

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    In todays modern engines and vehicles, no one exhaust or muffler is an across the board right choice. Some like crossovers, some dont. Some like long pipes, some dont. SOme like dynomax (or insert other brand here) mufflers, some sound like crap with them. Pipe size plays a huge role in all this too!!!
    Moral is= do your research! Just because a setup sounds good on a ls equipped gm doesnt mean it will sound even decent on a 4 valve ford!
    What sounded good on old school rigs and race cars does not really apply to modern cars!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Sorry about that I have the 5.4L, hit the wrong key sorry.

2 or 3 valve? If it's a 2-valve, I think an H-pipe and chambered muffler will be fine, if a 3-valve, maybe something to gain up top with a more high-rpm setup, but likely not much. Fords sound good with chambered type mufflers, and don't have any top-end to speak of until you get into the 3 (with mods) and 4-valve engines. Realistically, pretty much anything will work fine on a 2-valve 5.4L, as they aren't breathing very well above 4-5K rpm, anyway.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In todays modern engines and vehicles, no one exhaust or muffler is an across the board right choice. Some like crossovers, some dont. Some like long pipes, some dont. SOme like dynomax (or insert other brand here) mufflers, some sound like crap with them. Pipe size plays a huge role in all this too!!!
    Moral is= do your research! Just because a setup sounds good on a ls equipped gm doesnt mean it will sound even decent on a 4 valve ford!
    What sounded good on old school rigs and race cars does not really apply to modern cars!

+ on this, See I always looked at changing mufflers for the sole purpose of making a different sound a rice-ish. I added the Banks on my Titan for performance, the sound was just gravy. Sort of, in actuality the sound of the Banks muffler was very glass packesque, I didn't like it a whole lot under WOT. IMHO the Flow Master mufflers have the best sound on a pushrod Mustang.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I stand corrected!
    I have a magnaflow, I just climbed under it to check it out. Anyway, very happy with it.
    ae4b7b15-dab4-32a9.jpg
    Magnaflow all the way. They act like the silencer on a gun, you can see right through them. No flow restrictions and sound great.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm thinking of adding Corsa exhaust to my 6.2l escalade. Heard its low toned at idle, no drone but opens up when you step on it. Not looking to get too loud since it is a luxury car, but want just slightly louder than stock

Top Bottom