Flu Shot Party <g>

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Never had the shot. I've only gotten the flu once and it was while I was on a rig where about 150 people of the 200 on board had it.......rough hitch.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I have no problem riding a mile to CVS and getting a quick stick just to increase my chances of not missing work or spreading it around my house. Flu is one of the most miserable things I've experienced, just below stomach bugs and food poisoning, maybe a hair above my back problems.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    There is validity to what you are saying (I too do not get flu vaccines) but meds and vaccines save lives. I know people who nearly lost their daughter because they thought they shouldn't give her routine vaccinations, she then caught measles. Some vaccines are more efficacious than others, and there are some (like rabies) that most don't need but vaccines have saved generations from suffering from diseases that plagued populations for hundreds of years.

Ill agree, and also state I did not take the stance I think you assumed. Of course they do. Ill take meds IF I need them. We over med ourselves far too often.
    Vaccines last, calling a yearly shot a vaccine is a play on a term IMHO.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Ill agree, and also state I did not take the stance I think you assumed. Of course they do. Ill take meds IF I need them. We over med ourselves far too often.
    Vaccines last, calling a yearly shot a vaccine is a play on a term IMHO.

I did not mean to put words into your mouth, and I apologize for taking your post the wrong way. You are correct, we do over med ourselves as a society. This leads to things like antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria, addiction to pain medications etc. Vaccinations vary in there duration of efficacy so just because it is yearly doesn't make it not a vaccine. It elicits an immune response to specific flu strains, the problem with the flu virus is it is highly mutagenic and therefore makes it harder to vaccinate against. The thing that isn't measured so easily is the illness/disease that the flu vaccine prevents every year. Without the provided yearly flu vaccinations, flu infection rates could be much higher but that is a fact many do not take into account.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I get the shot for free and on company time so why not ? With four small grandchildren and an 85 yr old Mother , I'll take a few minutes to try and keep from becoming sick and possibly spreading it to them .

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I get the shot for free and on company time so why not ? With four small grandchildren and an 85 yr old Mother , I'll take a few minutes to try and keep from becoming sick and possibly spreading it to them .

This is an absolutely great point, the young and elderly are the most at risk.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I did not mean to put words into your mouth, and I apologize for taking your post the wrong way. You are correct, we do over med ourselves as a society. This leads to things like antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria, addiction to pain medications etc. Vaccinations vary in there duration of efficacy so just because it is yearly doesn't make it not a vaccine. It elicits an immune response to specific flu strains, the problem with the flu virus is it is highly mutagenic and therefore makes it harder to vaccinate against. The thing that isn't measured so easily is the illness/disease that the flu vaccine prevents every year. Without the provided yearly flu vaccinations, flu infection rates could be much higher but that is a fact many do not take into account.

Yep, its all cool. I just don't include the Flu shot into the lump that is the "vaccination debate". Just making sure that wasn't the assumption.

Top Bottom