Flying with AR Lower Receiver.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Kid

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, I know you cannot have a handgun in your checked luggage unless you fill out a form and let the airline and TSA know it is there.

But, can you put a stripped lower receiver (no stock or grip) in you checked luggage without informing anyone? Does anyone know if this against the law.

Thanks in advance.

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I think it's legally considered a weapon, so it probably needs to be checked and declared. Even if it isn't required to be checked and declared, it's not worth risking it in a carry on. Next thing you know, you're in Gitmo for the next 10 years and your dog gets shot.

The Kid

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hey, anal probes are nothing after all the prostate tests I have had. But, guess you guys are right. Sure don't want to create a scene at an airport these days.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Many moons ago I walked on with a new 1911 slide I picked up at a match in Texas. Put it on the tray, and they passed it back without a second look. Would not try that today though. An anal probe would be the least of your problems....

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    It needs to be in a hard locked case and it is not really a form to fill out just your John Hancock on a blaze Orange ticket that says it is not loaded.

you could just put it in a checked bag may go threw as a chunk of aluminum. Or maybe TSA or more likely airline employee would take it.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know the answer. Practically, I think it would go right through without a problem in checked luggage. Pragmatically, I think it would be a good idea to put it in a lockable pistol case inside your checked luggage. Checking firearms is not a big deal all the times I've done it. I would be interested to know the answer though. Is a checked firearm an airline policy or a federal policy? Does the policy distinguish between working firearms and serialized firearm parts? Hmmm.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Why would you be flying with a stripped lower? Just wondering, that is all. You know, I have heard of lots of people next day airing their suitcase/luggage via fedex/ups to their destination so they can skip all the baggage claims and theivery that goes on at airports.........just sayin........

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    not to bump an old thread

But, Can you legally ship a gun to yourself in another state.

For example, next daying a handgun to yourself for pickup (legally) in another state.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    see the line between ar lower pistol receiver and rifle receiver is thinner now than ever, I would hate to try to sneak anything. I guess I will check both at the AP. Where to carry the spare magazines?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Am I the only one who thinks a stripped lower needing to be in a locked case it a little silly?? :rofl:

I don't think it's silly. At some point a gun has to be considered a gun. At which point is that? Well the ATF has decided that point is when the stripped lower is made. Everything else is just parts.

If you don't like the stripped lower being considered a weapon then at what point would you want it to become a weapon? When the lower parts are added? When it's completely assembled? That would add all sorts of problems to the system. Believe me we are better off the way it is now. Stripped lower = weapon. Parts & upper = no weapon.

Top Bottom