flying with firearm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Be careful of layovers in states with strict laws on bringing in firearms (New York). If that layover turns to a stop and you have to claim your checked bags, you suddenly come under new scrutiny. There have been issues of this in the past. I would attempt to get plans that don’t entail layovers in those places.

Bigbubba70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    I have flown with weapons numerous times. DO NOT include ammo and a weapon in the same case!!!! These idiots freak out when they see the two together!!
    If it is a "semi auto " pistol lock the slide open.
    Working in Texas I have CC'd more there than at home here in LA. Never a problem.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have flown with weapons numerous times. DO NOT include ammo and a weapon in the same case!!!! These idiots freak out when they see the two together!!
    If it is a "semi auto " pistol lock the slide open.
    Working in Texas I have CC'd more there than at home here in LA. Never a problem.

I have also flown numerous times with a weapon. I've never been asked to open the case. I've always been asked if the weapon was unloaded. I'm usually asked about ammo and I always reply it is in the original box locked in the case. I've never locked the slide to the rear. I've always waited at or near the counter until the bag has been scammed by TSA. While I won't comment on their intelligence level, I can say that nobody has ever freaked out after seeing the scan of the weapon and ammo in close proximity or after being told the ammo and weapon were secured withing the same case.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree with having a printed copy of the airline and TSA rules with you. In fact I normally print 2 placing one in the luggage with the gun case and one set in my back pack.

I don't agree that they will freak out from seeing ammo with the gun. It must be in the factory package or dedicated ammo storage case. Loose or in mags is not allowed. I carry a 25 rd box locked in the case with the disassembled gun and have never had an issue. I have had a TSA agent try to trip me up asking if my ammo was in my mags. I told him "No, that's not allowed. It's in the factory box." He seemed pleased that I had played the game well.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Make SURE.....

NOLA Radio, Make sure the people at the counter know it is your CHECK-IN luggage. Had an apparently new agent at a counter mark my gun and ammo as being in my carry-on. I board the plan. 10 minutes later I'm being called to the front of the plane. The captain wants to know if I'm law enforcement (I'm not). Ends up I have to get off the plane with my carry one and get researched. My traveling companion also had to de-plane and get researched. Delayed the flight by about 30 minutes all because someone didn't check the correct box on the boarding info.

Anyone here have any experience with flying with a firearm on United Airlines? Just wondering if they have any silly rules that are different from the TSA regulations.

I know I'll have to have it packed in a locked, hard sided case in my checked baggage and will have to declare it at the ticket counter. I plan to just pack the pistol, ammo in original packaging and speed loader all in the locked case.

Flying from MSY to IAH in Humble, TX. Any tips that I should know about?

I've read up on the TX laws for concealed carry and I think I am all good to go. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom