For Those Who Demand "Police Reform"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    http://www.policeone.com/chiefs-she...ica-ready-for-the-true-cost-of-police-reform/

To the following I would add "get ready to pay a salary that would be commensurate with the newly reformed force."

Some people calling for changes in policing probably have a handle on the answers to those questions, but I contend that many do not. Here are six things that politicians and protesters need to know about what they’d need to do to enable the changes they want in law enforcement.

1. Bring us at least a 25 percent increase in personnel. If you demand more training, we'll agree. Just remember that for every hour a cop is in a training environment that's one less officer responding to calls. Either add some badges, or explain to the public why they'll have to wait for a patrol car to show up.

2. Bring us holistic support for our minds and bodies. The realities of police stress are well documented. Cumulative stress — especially with poor community support — will show up in all the wrong places. Keep us strong. That means professional, sustainable mental health initiatives. Don’t make us wait for a crisis to see the chaplain or counselor.

3. Bring us education for the public. Everybody seems to know their rights and not their obligations. The law requires compliance with a lawful command. That's the very un-mysterious resolution to the vast majority of police use-of-force encounters.

4. Bring us minority applicants that you want to be your police officers. We would love to have a department that represents our community. Work with the children in your community — when they are young — to ensure that when they reach the age at which they may apply to become officers, they meet the criteria the profession demands (no criminal history, for example). One big way to start is by respecting the profession. It might rub off on somebody who could step up and be a great police officer.

5. Bring us dignity as victims of violence. Every justified use of force begins as an offense against the officer, whether resisting or assault. Stop dropping charges where police are crime victims. Stop writing checks to every arrestee who says “boo!” Let us sue bad guys. Give us police leaders and prosecutors who know that a crime against the police is a crime against everyone’s peace and dignity. We really do carry the badge on your behalf.

6. Bring it from downtown, not DC. Policing in a democratic society must be under scrutiny. But let’s do this examination together. And let’s do it locally whenever possible. Washington DC has plenty to do without meddling in the most important function of local government. We want to serve better, not cater to a voting block or approval ratings.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    "5. Bring us dignity as victims of violence. Every justified use of force begins as an offense against the officer, whether resisting or assault. Stop dropping charges where police are crime victims. Stop writing checks to every arrestee who says *boo!* Let us sue bad guys. Give us police leaders and prosecutors who know that a crime against the police is a crime against everyone’s peace and dignity. We really do carry the badge on your behalf."

This part is must reading for those who think that police have more privileges than citizens in the even of a shooting.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Bull$hit. It's not the police who need reforming.

I have ZERO respect and even less patience for anyone who's willing to hang their hat on a $hitbag like Michael Brown. :madfawk:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The problems we face are societies problems, not "cop" problems, "black" problems, "unemployed" problems, or "political party" problems. Until we can collectively discuss and attack these issues as a society, they will continue and increase in potency.

Officer Joe gets a phone complaint to the desk sgt - "this cop is obviously going WAY over the limit in his unit. Why is it okay for him??? I'd get a ticket!". Officer Joe gets to the house he was dispatched to, and the homeowner immediately yells "what the hell took you so long?!"

Officer Jane responds to a complaint about teenagers speeding through her neighborhood where her kids are playing and riding bicycles. Officer Jane pulls over the next speeder she sees. If she cites them for it, she gets called "a revenue agent". If she doesn't, homeowner says "i called the police but they never do anything."

its something you either know or you don't. don't be so quick to judge, because you have absolutely no idea whats going on.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Cousin of mine passed this along.... :dogkeke:

Recently, the Chula Vista, California Police Department ran an e-mail forum with the local community (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing." One of the civilian e-mail participants posed the following question:

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people.

Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing. The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents.

At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty.

So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass.

This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring.

What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follow:
    PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment.

"My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.

Another popular one: "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like.

It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light.

Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours to determine why they didn't want to talk to us.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc...They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them.

Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It's a really cool system that we've set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me." It's one of our favorites.

Hopefully sir, this has clarified to you a little bit better how we harass the good citizens of Chula Vista.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Officer Joe gets a phone complaint to the desk sgt - "this cop is obviously going WAY over the limit in his unit. Why is it okay for him??? I'd get a ticket!". Officer Joe gets to the house he was dispatched to, and the homeowner immediately yells "what the hell took you so long?!"

Back when I was an EMT I know that sometimes the police would run without sirens to avoid alerting the perp.... But they were not allowed to speed to a crime without ATLEAST running lights (and technically were saposto run code until close to the screen.)

This change?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Back when I was an EMT I know that sometimes the police would run without sirens to avoid alerting the perp.... But they were not allowed to speed to a crime without ATLEAST running lights (and technically were saposto run code until close to the screen.)

This change?

Tell me more how your EMT experience tells you what the cops were "saposto" (da fuq? LOL) to do.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Tell me more how your EMT experience tells you what the cops were "saposto" (da fuq? LOL) to do.

Well, since you apparently don't know:

Often EMT's and Cops find themselves at the same scenes, dealing with the same people.:rolleyes:

They also talk to one another....:eek3:

And when the EMT is a volunteer, and a Marine in his "day job" who might be interested in law enforcement when he gets out.... He MIGHT talk to the cops more....:rolleyes:

Also, being an ambulance driver.... He MIGHT know a thing or 2 about the regulations for ambulances... And MIGHT (if it's not too hard to believe) ask the cops!!!!!:rolleyes:

What's with the pointless assholeishness?

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    The only reason I would roll without lights and sirens is because 99% of the populace is turned into drooling morons by them.
    Roll up on the average Joe in the left lane without them, he sees the buddy bumpers, pulls to the right, and thinks to himself "look at that Ahole."
    Roll up on the same dude with lights and sirens, he slams the brakes on and either runs off into the left median or comes to a dead stop.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    The only reason I would roll without lights and sirens is because 99% of the populace is turned into drooling morons by them.
    Roll up on the average Joe in the left lane without them, he sees the buddy bumpers, pulls to the right, and thinks to himself "look at that Ahole."
    Roll up on the same dude with lights and sirens, he slams the brakes on and either runs off into the left median or comes to a dead stop.

You're really sneaky if you have an unmarked car with no visible lights, siren speaker, or other nonsense visible to the public. At that point you're just some person driving like an idiot...

JR1572

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

This change?

sometimes they're saposto run em and sometimes they're saposto not. I sapose if I'm saposto use em and I opt not to I can explain why to my supervisors. I sapose that you'd never know the reason or outcome by calling in the complaint anyway, so maybe the guy is doin what hes saposto do?

at any rate, i think the message went above ya. and for an emt with leo interest, it isn't saposto.

its something you either know or you don't. don't be so quick to judge, because you have absolutely no idea whats going on.

Okay, so I hit 7. Let's set the morning goal at ten. who's up to the challenge? I sapose the bayoushooter misfit rat pack will be waking up shortly! Stay tuned.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

This change?

I love how you manage to slur while typing.

JR1572

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I have a question for "Those who demand police reform"....

Why do you allow the riot inciting step-father and armed robbery committing mother of dirt bags like Michael Brown, race-baiting millionaire hate pimp scumbags like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, and other law breaking, social parasites who have NO RESPECT for the system or YOU, the rule following citizen who gets up every day and do the right thing (within reason, I ain't talking about speeding), to dictate and demand this "police reform" that will ultimately neuter the American police office and strip us of our discretion which will result in you getting more citations, more summonses and being arrested more?

Things will only change for you, the law abider who had something to loose. The **** of the world demanding the reforms will still have no respect for the rule of law and will still maintain the "thug life" mentality. They will still be the consummate and complete victim of so-called "racial injustice", "police brutality", "racial profiling", and all the other complete and total ******** that every mother spits on live TV when Lil Pookie gets his head turned into a canoe by a cop when "ma baby" first actively and decisively engages in criminal activity endangering the lives of the members of the community and the officer involved.

Only those that have skin in the game of living and doing right stand to loose in this one. When are the good and decent people going to stand the **** up and say they've had enough with the shitbags of society who have no respect for anything being granted the influence to dictate how the rest of us should live?

Its time for the decent and hard working people of this country to pull their heads out of their collective ass and see the big picture. The dregs of society are winning and we are letting them by allowing them to push their faux reform. They are working to solve a problem that only exists if you are on the wrong side of the law.

Disclaimer: I know that there are shitbag cops and I know there are innocent people that get caught up in bad police work, but it does not occur in the volume that those pushing this reform want you to believe. If the system was as jacked up as "they" would make you believe, this reform would have happened a long time ago and would not have to be sold like a used 4 door Yugo.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If the system was as jacked up as "they" would make you believe, this reform would have happened a long time ago and would not have to be sold like a used 4 door Yugo.

dhMeAzK.gif

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Here's another one that should swell some nuts.
    http://www.policeone.com/career/art...-firing-of-Texas-cops-for-social-media-posts/

After the initial decision to reinstate the officers, Smith-Harris and other protesters met with the sheriff and the police department officials in closed-door meetings. The meeting, Ward said, came before a scheduled protest was set to take place on the county's courthouse steps. Quanell X, a self-described leader of the Black Panther Nation, was set to lead the rally.

Shortly after, both officers were fired.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Well since "certain posters" wanted to insult my tablet typing rather than answer a simple question I researched it myself:

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title32/rs32-24

. C. The exceptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle or bicycle is making use of audible or visual signals, including the use of a peace officer cycle rider's whistle, sufficient to warn motorists of their approach, except that a police vehicle need not be equipped with or display a red light visible from in front of the vehicle.

So.... It appears what they did NOT want to admit is that if a cop passes you speeding (reading in other sections to find this I found specific justification and regulations on forward pointing lights and their use so as not to warn perps in a vehicle they are approaching) and you see NO LIGHTS or sirens....

Yea, he's breaking the law.

If there's a Law I missed and someone wants to have a MATURE discussion/answer to my question, I'd welcome it.
    Thanks for nothing.:rolleyes:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well since "certain posters" wanted to insult my tablet typing rather than answer a simple question I researched it myself:

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title32/rs32-24

So.... It appears what they did NOT want to admit is that if a cop passes you speeding (reading in other sections to find this I found specific justification and regulations on forward pointing lights and their use so as not to warn perps in a vehicle they are approaching) and you see NO LIGHTS or sirens....

Yea, he's breaking the law.

If there's a Law I missed and someone wants to have a MATURE discussion/answer to my question, I'd welcome it.
    Thanks for nothing.:rolleyes:

That's why I try to always do the speed limit in my unit. That way when people are speeding I have no problem issuing the citation wether it be for 5mph or 50mph over.

Top Bottom