Ford F250SD vs Chevy 3500HD

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    I want to upgrade my rv truck - trading in my 2004 Ford F-250 SD powerstroke 6.0 diesel and purchase the Chevy 3500 HD dually with duramax/allison 6.6 turbo diesel [4X4 of course]. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    If you go GM I'd suggest an 09 model as to avoid the DEF engines. Another farmer in the area just had $10K + in damages to his fuel system. He was still under warranty so it will be taken care of but he is gonna sell it before it goes out of warranty.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I've owned all the big 3 diesels, fords last good one was the 7.3, the Duramax will never break but if it does you are in for a world of $$ hurt, me personally I stick with Dodge at this point. Out of all my trucks the dodge has proven to have the least amount of failures and problems. But no you cannot go wrong with a Duramax!

And for those power-joke people out there....how many people you know put swap powerstrokes into their dodge HAHAH! :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    If you look around any campground/RV park you will see that Ford F250/350 is the tow vehicle of choice, followed by Dodge, very few Chevys/GMCs

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I've had a dodge cummins and a duramax. Fords have the 6.0 legacy to get past, tho I do believe they are vastly improved.

If and when I go back to diesels, it will be Cummins.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I have a 2002 Duramax (LB7) crew cab 4X4 it has been very strong, at 73,000 miles the injectors started to leak fuel into the oil/crankcase. out of warranty & $5k to replace all 8 injectors. Since then still going strong!

I pulled a big Massey Ferguson tractor out of a bog sunk to it's axes with the box blade buried, it helped I was able to stay on asphalt to pull it. BTW the Dodge failed to move it!

I pulled a bobcat which was stuck, the guy broke the chain a few times, but I hooked up to it and drug it out using my chains.

Another pull I made was a long delivery truck which missed a culvert, he was loaded with steel reinforcement rods and wire highway mesh, made easy work of that one also.

Oh and for fun I pull my camper 27' Terry around from time to time...:doh:

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    I have pulled with all three of the new diesels. The new duramax is the best in towing for me. Followed by the ford. The Cummins was slow as hell and a dog.

I've pulled 25k (not including truck) with all of them. The ford has good low end then it drops off quick. The exhaust brake is non existent compared to the duramax and Cummins.

The dmax has a amazing exhaust brake that only needs you to push to get the lights on for it to kick in and almost stop it completely. The new frame and brakes made it pull like a dually. I took the emissions off and get 20hwy and around 15 towing going 75. It has a 36 gallon tank on the standard bed compared to 25 on the ford.

The ford is fast and quiet, gets good mileage stock. Nice interior. Don't get factory gooseneck package, it sucks compared to b&w. The 350 is a inch or so taller than the 250. Have fun filling the exhaust fluid, checking coolant additive and I hope the ac doesn't go out like my dad's.

Also check the used value on a top of the line ford diesel vs duramax diesel Denali. The ford cost more new but the Denali is worth more used. Crazy.

Any more questions I'll type it up on computer. Haha

Sent from etch a sketch.

Last edited:

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    Find a 99.5-02 Ford 7.3. Mine has 310,000 miles and going strong, pulling a trailer almost daily. Unloaded I'm averaging 17mpg towing flatbed trailer loaded down with wood and concrete 15mpg.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have a 2000 f250 with 7.3/ 6 speed crew cab 4wd. Love it. Have 225k on it now and plan to keep it until it falls apart. As far as power, it doesn't compare to the new breed but it has longevity and should outlast anything bought new now.
    The new ford is very nice. New dodge is a dog compared to ford or gm.
    If I were to buy a new one, it would most probably be the Duramax. But I do not want to spend $65k on a new truck, I like having one that is paid for!

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    I have a 2000 f250 with 7.3/ 6 speed crew cab 4wd. Love it. Have 225k on it now and plan to keep it until it falls apart. As far as power, it doesn't compare to the new breed but it has longevity and should outlast anything bought new now.
    The new ford is very nice. New dodge is a dog compared to ford or gm.
    If I were to buy a new one, it would most probably be the Duramax. But I do not want to spend $65k on a new truck, I like having one that is paid for!

65k? That's a loaded Denali 4x4 with ac seats... Or a king ranch f350.

Sent from etch a sketch.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ram 3500dually or 2500 long bed.
    You can't beat them. A reason why hot shot company's use them. The cummins is where dependability is. Not to mention the new ones just look really good.
    Go test drive them all before you choose.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Ram 3500dually or 2500 long bed.
    You can't beat them. A reason why hot shot company's use them. The cummins is where dependability is. Not to mention the new ones just look really good.
    Go test drive them all before you choose.

Until the headgasket blows on the 6.7.
    ha3abevy.jpg

Sent from etch a sketch.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom